Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castletown House celbridge

• 30-03-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Did anyone ever hear about ghosts around the Castletown housing estate or castletown house in celbridge(apart from the one about the devil appearing and cracking the fireplace)

There used to be a Celbridge forum where someone claimed a house was so haunted the occupiers kept moving out. also stories of ghosts along the road upto the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I live in celbridge and tbh I dont think its haunted. Ive heard a story of some young man who hung himself close to Castletown house. Then again, I suppose Celbridge should be haunted when you look at its history with the famine and the workhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Did anyone ever hear about ghosts around the Castletown housing estate or castletown house in celbridge(apart from the one about the devil appearing and cracking the fireplace)

There used to be a Celbridge forum where someone claimed a house was so haunted the occupiers kept moving out. also stories of ghosts along the road upto the house.
    Nonsense. Castletown, for a house of its age, size and colourful history, is oddly devoid of any sense of night-bumping. I have worked as a tour-guide there, spent a lot of time there besides, and known a number of people who had been residents, before the residences were removed. I have never heard anything but the tired old devil-and-fireplace story, which is stale, formulaic folklore and nothing more.

Connolly's Folly, on the other hand, which was part of the Castletown estate, apart from having its own, sillier version of the devil story, has had some ghostly attributions. But these almost certainly can be explained by the lurky loiterings of horny youths, rather than horned demons or the restless dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I've never heard of anything about the house, though it looks like a place which would attract some ghostly activity!! Myself and my boyfriend walked down there on xmas eve and took a stroll around the back - there's one section of the house (on the upper right as you're facing the front of it) that's all boarded up and the windows are blackened. No idea what's in there or why it's blocked off but it's probably a practical reason rather than a spooky one. It does have a strange feel to it but I think every old building has a presence that's often mistaken for something sinister.

Connolly's Folly on the other hand is genuinely creepy. Again though, it just gives me a sinister feeling due to its size and location. It's pretty lonely down there at night. I agree that the most action it's seen is youths rather than paranormal presences! Isn't there something about it being directly aligned with some part of the house or built on some ancient line that runs through the estate?? Maybe I'm confusing it with something else....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Sapien, do you have any idea why the upper part is boarded up from inside?? Just noticed you used to be a tour guide...

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I had my communion photos taken in castletown house back in 1990 and there are many Orbs in the pix. I'd be more of a believer of Orbs than a silhouette

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

pookie82 wrote: »
    Sapien, do you have any idea why the upper part is boarded up from inside?? Just noticed you used to be a tour guide...
    If you're talking about the East Wing, it contains unused stables, which, as far as I know, are still languishing empty. I never had occasion to go into that Wing, but I'm reasonably certain there's nothing up there, or ever was. It's there for Palladian symmetry, and nothing much esle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Sapien wrote: »
    Nonsense. Castletown, for a house of its age, size and colourful history, is oddly devoid of any sense of night-bumping. I have worked as a tour-guide there, spent a lot of time there besides, and known a number of people who had been residents, before the residences were removed. I have never heard anything but the tired old devil-and-fireplace story, which is stale, formulaic folklore and nothing more. .

Not such nonesense. My post referred to the Castletown housing estate, the couple of hundred houses that are located around the perimeter. There were definate reports of hauntings in a couple of houses. There were also reports of a spirit along the road up to the house. I never referred to reports from the house itself. Sorry if this was not clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

ChewChew wrote: »
    I had my communion photos taken in castletown house back in 1990 and there are many Orbs in the pix. I'd be more of a believer of Orbs than a silhouette

what exactly are orbs in photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Ive been living in the castletown area for years , I walk the dog regularly around the grounds of the house , which by the way , is open to the public , and has a market at the weekends , many stalls of which are set up in the above mentioned stables.

Ive never seen anything remotely spooky about the place and have never heard any stories of any ghostly goings on in the castletown area ,

There was however a very strange case of mass hypnosis last year , whereby thousands of people were compelled to stand in a field full of cowdung listening to a banshee for 2 hours , now that was spooky !!

what exactly are orbs in photos?

Orbs are small white circles that are usually only visible on photographs if captured or on video. The will move around the room and represent a spirit. You wont actually see the ''ghost'' but if you have any photo's with these Orbs then you know the spirits are around.

The best photo's to check out are photo's of events like weddings and birthdays. . when people think their loved ones have passed on and thats that. but you will see these orbs and it is representation of your loved one at that special event.

I'll try to dig out some photo's for you!!

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Orbs are small white circles that are usually only visible on photographs if captured or on video. The will move around the room and represent a spirit. You wont actually see the ''ghost'' but if you have any photo's with these Orbs then you know the spirits are around.

The best photo's to check out are photo's of events like weddings and birthdays. . when people think their loved ones have passed on and thats that. but you will see these orbs and it is representation of your loved one at that special event.

Utter,utter,utter nonsense

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Truth-About-Ghostly-Orb-Photos&id=970671

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

contrary to popular belief, orbs arent unexplainable.

http://tinyplace.net/almas/howtoorbs.htm
    There are many natural causes for orb-like images such as this. Lens flare, dust, pollen, bugs, water moisture and snow. Any of these could be the source of so-called orbs in your photo or video. Flash and infrared beams from your camera or camcorder can illuminate tiny objects close to the camera, causing them to appear as orbs.

Think of how much dust is kicked up when you walk through an old house that hasn't been cleaned in years. Think of all the tiny bugs in the air over that "haunted cemetery" you are investigating. False orbs can also be caused by quirks of the camera itself. This is especially true for digital cameras.

Degsy wrote: »

To be honest. . . I'm not going to give up my own views on Orbs over one guys opinion. I've seen them. I have photos myself, that were taken in my house. And I've seen them on Video.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Degsy please read the charter if you wish to continue using this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

What about the mill sports centre that haunted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Orbs are touted as evidence of supernatural activity by people who've never seen a ghost.There's plenty of well documented photographs with likenesses of loved ones or people who formerly had a connection with the area the pic was taken in.If there's a sufficiently strong spirit prescence to make itself visible in photographs,it most assuredly wont manifest itself as orbs,but as a proper(if vague) vision.The fact that orbs can be very easily explained (in the same way "rods" were) should preclude people from associating them with supernatural activity.Believe me,if there's a proper spirit visible in a photograph you'll know about it!
    ghosty_ghost.png

dead_guitarist_ghost_picture_5292cu.jpg

68781004.vowPfJIO.ghostphotofreddyjackson.jpg

weird.jpg

back_seat_ghost_lg.jpg

mattfender wrote: »
    What about the mill sports centre that haunted?

Honestly never heard any stories about it, but now that you mention it. . . there must be something!! It's so old and has a massive history. . I might look into it.

Degsy. . . I dont think Orbs are visible to those who have never seen a Ghost. It is well known that there are shy, timid spirits and they show their presence in many different ways. Whether its Audio, Visual OR orb form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Pleeze!!!!!!!!!! research "Orbs" on the internet, really and truly so called orbs are simple reflections of dust particles & artifacts captured by digital cameras.

Anyone who takes the time to learn the engineering of digital image capture will understand that these non-paranormal "orbs" plague gullible and innocent victims as having some form of ghost related reality but are actually very simply explained. If you won't believe me or any of the excellent digital camera magazine sites take a read of this ghost hunter's de-bunking of "orbs"

http://www.prairieghosts.com/trouble.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Bee wrote: »
    Degsy wrote: »
    Orbs are touted as evidence of supernatural activity by people who've never seen a ghost.There's plenty of well documented photographs with likenesses of loved ones or people who formerly had a connection with the area the pic was taken in.If there's a sufficiently strong spirit prescence to make itself visible in photographs,it most assuredly wont manifest itself as orbs,but as a proper(if vague) vision.The fact that orbs can be very easily explained (in the same way "rods" were) should preclude people from associating them with supernatural activity.Believe me,if there's a proper spirit visible in a photograph you'll know about it!

I love that image of the "Ghost on the stairs" it was excellently shown by the Fortean Times to have been a double exposure,if I can find a link I will post it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

there are always stories about ghosts in celbridge we all know about castletown house. we have also heard the one about vanessa's goast down in the abbey throwing man off the bridge after her heart was broken by swift. Everytown in ireland has at least one of the stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I remember reading about the devil story in Castletown house when I was a young 'un. It said that anytime the smashed mirror gets replaced it is cracked again within a few hours/days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anime45

I heard the some women that worked in the house at the cafe was working late cuz the was glasses coming in and when she got them she went somewhere in the house and she heard a bunch of glasses bracking the leaded you to the fire place and then she quit

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tomsnake123

I lived in 152 the Gardens I think it was and trust me that house was haunted big time we sold it after 1. Year and as far as I know irs been sold a few times since

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tomsnake123

Yep 152 caste town gardens was my house haunted as hell we sold up after 1,year and it's been sold a few times since I lived there 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

I am living in celbridge myself i would love to hear more about the haunting??

Advertisement