Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fatal System Error

• 30-03-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Help Guys
    Mate of mine has a serious problem with his PC.
    It won't boot, just gets a blue screen with a error message.
    This would be bad enough but it won't allow me in to boot in Safe Mode
    Here's the error

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x0000000)
    The system has been shutdown.

PC running XP Home.
    Would there be a repair program on the OS disc that came with it, (forgot to check :rolleyes:)
    I can get it to boot from the CD drive....Dell Vostro 200 BTW.

Please help, he has irreplaceable stuff on the HD and can't afford to lose it all!
    Cheers

HB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

he should have got an emd(emergency repair disk) with the laptop, try do a repair from the disk and see how it goes from there, and give him a kick in the goolies for not backing up irreplacable data !!

actually b4 you do that try press f8 during startup before the winlogo comes up, and choose "last configuration that worked"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

actually b4 you do that try press f8 during startup before the winlogo comes up, and choose "last configuration that worked"

Yeah, tried that as well but that was how I was tryin to get into safe mode, which it won't do. The only disc he remembers getting with it was the one marked Operating System.
    Prob a recovery app on that
    BTW, not a lappie, Vostro 200 is a desktop [/being pedantic]

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Yeah, tried that as well but that was how I was tryin to get into safe mode, which it won't do. The only disc he remembers getting with it was the one marked Operating System.
    Prob a recovery app on that
    BTW, not a lappie, Vostro 200 is a desktop [/being pedantic]

was thinkin of me ma's vostro laptop, yeah try do a repair feom the os disk

Well
    I tried again and got to the page where you select Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking etc.....
    Selected Last Good Config and off it went looking like it was gonna do it and BAM, blue screen again with the same error message as above.
    Everything I choose on this page, Safe Modes, Boot to Utility Partition, Last Good Config always ends up with the blue screen and error message!!!

Gettin worried about the damn thing now, thought I could sort it.
    Anybody got any ideas, gettin desperate here

Cheers
    HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Bodan

At what point in the logon process does the system crash. Are you able to get as far as the logon screen when it goes to load his personalised settings? e.g.

windows-xp-welcome-screen.jpg

Secondly, does he have multiple logins on his system or does he normally logon automatically.

You probably have done this already but just in case, have you tried to repair the system through the Windows Xp Cd. Here's how
    XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
    4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
    5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
    6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

If the repair install doesn't work HERE is another option that may help depending on your computer competency.

Bodan wrote: »
    At what point in the logon process does the system crash. Are you able to get as far as the logon screen when it goes to load his personalised settings?

No it doesn't get that far dude, just the windows XP splash screen, a moment of black screen and then our old friend the blue one
    Secondly, does he have multiple logins on his system or does he normally logon automatically.

No multiple logins, it just logs on automatically
    You probably have done this already but just in case, have you tried to repair the system through the Windows Xp Cd. Here's how

Yeah I had done that alright.....well sort of :rolleyes:. I DID choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console.....oops!

Will try it your way soon as I can, thanks for the advice everyone :) Fingers Crossed

Cheers
    HB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Bodan

When the computer is booted in safe mode, it shows a list of all the files and drivers been loaded. What's the last one been loaded before it crashes that you can see on the screen.

Happy Dayz
    Tried the repair install and I'm happy to report that the Vostro is now workin like new.
    Cheers Bodan and everyone else who helped

Cheers Again

HB

• Advertisement
Advertisement