Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home network help plz!

Options
  • 30-03-2008 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

hi there!
    I have a netopia wireless router from eircom from a few years back 3387WG
    EP5169300.htm
    have in upstairs in "office" and using laptop downstairs in kitchen.
    would like to hook up xbox original to the network so as to get with XBMC and streaming movies etc.
    whats the best/easiest way to do this?
    thanks
    john

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tttoooeee

Three options:

1) Run an Ethernet cable from the XBox to the Netopia device (but it looks like you don't want to do this).
    2) Run an Ethernet cable from the XBox to the laptop, and share the network connection from the laptop.
    3) Get a wireless card for the XBox.

My guess is that you want to go with Option 2. If so:

On the laptop, go to Control Panel -> Network Connections. Select your wireless connection. Then, hold down the Ctrl button and click the wired connection. They should now both be selected. Right-click either one of them, and click Bridge Connections. That should take a minute or so to do... then exit out of it all. Connect the XBox to the laptop using an Ethernet cable. That should be it. (There's another method of using Internet Connection Sharing, but I think the bridging method is better for what you want).

Advertisement