Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise needed.... possible scam.

Options
  • 30-03-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hey guys,

The other day I received an email inquiring about my car for sale on carzone. It was from a Latvian chap who seemed genuinely interested. I answered the questions in his email and awaited a further response. Today I received this email....
    Hello Rob,

Thank you so much for your mail. I am very happy to read from you and to write you back.

I'm also happy to hear that your car is in good shape and perfect condition. I really like it and will be glad to buy the car from you. The price for its payment is good and Ok.

Therefore, i will accept the 5'100 EURO for its payment and hereby ready to buy it from you. Please, i am a very busy man and i can not come to see the car over there, due to the nature of my work.

So, kindly send me your Full name:..........................? and Full Address:......................?? and Telephone Number:...........................???so that i can inform my personal secretary to prepare the cheque for its payment and send it to you.

As for the pick up or transport, i will contact the transportation company that will handle it and will get back to you after my talks and final conclusion with them.

Thanks, i look forward to reading from you soon. My Best wishes to all your wonderful family over there.

Fredrik.

I'm not overly comfortable with this. Is this legit or should I just ignore it. Any ideas guys???

Thanks

Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Complete and utter scam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Total scam

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

clears that up then. Cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Think about it for a minute. Why would someone based in Latvia or wherever go to the trouble of buying a RHD car over here in Ireland? Also who agrees to buy a car without first viewing or test driving it?

Definate scam, being doing the rounds for some time too.

Also be prepaired for phone calls from "agencies" telling you they have 100 clients interested in your car, just send them €xxx amount via your credit card and they will pass your details on to them. Another scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

does he want to bring it back to latvia??? is that what the "transportation company" are about? if so why would he want a right hand drive car? (presuming its RHD) sounds like a scam to me! i wouldnt let it go until i had notes in my hand

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. Some good points there. I'll be trusting my instincts in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I've heard of this before ... total scam ... stay well away.

maybe even consider reporting to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

I got a very similar email from some guy pretending to be a french film producer
    the same looking for all my details etc... i just replied
    CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY and never heard from him again

Gandalf23 wrote: »

maybe even consider reporting to the Gardai?
    lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

ok this is how the scam works.
    They agrre to buy the item (in this case your car or in my case a fone).They say that they cant view it for whatever reason.They then send you a draft which is fake,stolen etc for MORE THAN THE AGREED AMOUNT.Then they get in touch saying they have overpaid youand want a refund.You then are supposed to send them a legitimate draft for the refund or whatever.They cash your draft you try and cash their draft only to find that is less than worthless and you get some dodgy looks from the person behind the counter in the bank.
    You lose your money the item you sold and they get everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Scambait the f**ker Waste his time. Give him a payphone number. Get the cheque delivered to an abandoned house. Waste as much of his time as possible.

LOL for reporting to the Garda. I've been the victims of a few crimes in the last few months you think i'd ever bother wasting by time going to them again.

Will you swap your car for some 3 millions worth gold bullion i have in the Ivory Coast.. Your only have to pay the release fee's :D...If it's too good to be true it is.

I replied saying "Cash only, good luck!"

I feel a bit dumb for believing it even for just a minute!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

My Best wishes to all your wonderful family over there

Those scam artists always say the nicest things.

Until you try to get your money back from them. :mad:

Advertisement