Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge Donaghcumper Development

Options
  • 30-03-2008 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

What do you think of the Donaghcumper Development. New Cinema, more cafe's and pubs and some decent shops sounds great, but the apartments seem eccesive(8 stories), especially with the downturn in the housing market. Adamstown is reportadly still half empty.

What do you think of this, and the traffic implications?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

The documents are now online for Donaghcumper.

File no. 08438

File no. 08439

PROPOSED NEW TOWN CENTRE
    AT DONAGHCUMPER

Dear Celbridge Residents,

You may be aware that a planning application for the above proposed development has been lodged with Kildare County Council. The scale of this urban development (up to 8 storeys) is completely out of character with Celbridge. We in the community of Celbridge must reflect very carefully on the probable social, environmental and visual impact of this development.

The proposed plans can be viewed, on line, at KildareCountyCouncil.ie.

If you wish to object, simply:

Write to:
    The Planning Department, Kildare County Council,Aras Cill Dara, Devoy Park, Naas, Co Kildare
    Quoting: - Ref No: 08/438, and enclosing a fee of €20.
    The objection must be received by K.C.C. by 21st April

When outlining the grounds for your objection you may be as brief or as detailed as you choose. You may wish to refer to one or more of the following points, or any others of your choosing:

Scale, Size and Height: completely out of character with Celbridge.

Traffic: The proposed new bridge linking the Maynooth Road with the Donaghcumper development will create traffic chaos at Castletown Gates and the addition of approx. 3000 new residents will result in major traffic congestion.

Heritage: The proposed new bridge and high rise urban development in such close proximity to many protected structures is wholly inappropriate and would be detrimental to the historic fabric of the Celbridge street-scape.
    Castletown House and its grounds will have the views from its main approach avenue and its riverbank walks severely impaired for future generations.

General:
    There are no provisions for any school places or for adequate parking facilities.

The proposed pedestrian bridges have the potential to become areas of anti-social behaviour.

The River Liffey is a priceless amenity and must be protected along with the Liffey Valley landscape.

Water supply/quality: Housing estates in Celbridge have already experienced low water pressure.

The lack of public consultation with the people of Celbridge for such a major urban development was wrong and displayed a lack of respect or regard for the community.

A separate application for a housing estate close to St Wolstan’s has been lodged by the same developer (Ref No. 08/439.) To object to this follow a similar procedure and enclose a further €20

Celbridge Action Alliance. <snip></snip>

The contact numbers in my last post were deleted because they were against the forum rules, which I had forgotten about. I feel like I'm back at school!! If anyone wants these numbers, they can send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

• Registered Users Posts: 43 finnmcool

Nice read, some good points too.

• Advertisement

I think it's an excellent article. Well worth reading. Kevin Myers has shown a very keen insight into this appalling situation and a profound appreciation of local heritage.

This impending environmental catastrophe is rapidly generating an ever-increasing torrent of public outrage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

On a personal level, having lived here my entire life (im 25 now - 4th generation Celbridgian) this would be the straw that breaks the camels back in terms of the transformation of celbridge from a quaint village to an impersonal town. My mam kept the Celbridge Charter from the day i was born, the sense of tight knit community leapt from the pages even as recently as 1982, when the population of the town was < 5000. Recent census put celbridge and surrounding areas around the 45,000 mark. It has already changed dramatically since i was a child but this proposed development would expedite those changes.

The main problem i have with the development is it's positioning. I dont think there would be nearly half the objections and/or opposition to the project if it was closer to the Salesians end, it'd be more in keeping with the recent developments that side of the town. Kevin Myers put it better than i ever could obviously - but frankly it'd be downright silly to have the Church of ireland church, Castletown House, the forest etc overlooked and perhaps dwarfed by this new development. It would certainly detract from them imo.

With the projected global downturn/recession and a steep downturn in the housing market, there's a distinct possibility this development will remain half empty and/or a mini-ghost town or at worst a white elephant. I do think celbridge needs a lot of what the development contains though, for years there has been a dearth of options in the town (but that comment can apply to most towns).

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Hi - anyone know what the story is with the new celbridge forum? is it down?

there were some dramatic montaged photos of the new development which really showed the impact of this appalling proposal

http://campbells.proboards52.com/index.cgi

scrap that - it's back again!

Kildrought, I checked into the situation regarding the contact number of the Celbridge group that are objecting to Donaghcumper and there is a slight problem with the phone. This will be sorted tonight and you can contact them tomorrow. The same goes for anyone else. I can't post the number here but you can PM me. The info is also available at http://campbells.proboards52.com/index.cgi, in Kildrought's post.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Hi Raven. . .

Any info you cant show here just put it on www.campbells.proboards52.com as you have been doing. They wont be deleted from there. . I can assure you that!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks, ChewChew. Much appreciated!

Unless people OBJECT TO KILDARE CO. COUNCIL BEFORE NEXT TUESDAY NOON, this horrendous violation of our town will become unstoppable!!

There is a very good article in this week’s Liffey Champion, page 6, about the proposed Donaghcumper development. The Hon. Desmond Guinness is lodging an objection to Kildare Co. Council. So too are the Irish Georgian Society, Celbridge Community Council, Celbridge Historical Society, Celbridge Action Alliance and Liffey Valley Park Alliance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The Raven. wrote: »
    The Hon. Desmond Guinness is lodging an objection to Kildare Co. Council. So too are the Irish Georgian Society, Celbridge Community Council, Celbridge Historical Society, Celbridge Action Alliance and Liffey Valley Park Alliance.

Fantastic news!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gibbins123

Is there any use in telling the builders what we want?

We will end up settling (being stuck with) 5 storey buildings if we do not insist now that we won't tolerate any more than 2 storeys. (though some may find 3 storeys acceptable).

For starters, Celbridge doesn't need so many apartments (as what are in the proposed plans). There are loads of apartments around hazelhatch, some of which (behind petrol station) were difficult to sell and the council ended up buying them.

We can allow some apartments and loads of shops, if we also get the facilities needed.

I have heard that Celbridge is the largest town in Ireland with only one main street. So we need another, which I would suggest is linked directly to the proposed bridge.

Might a roundabout help with traffic at castletown gates? Although it is an awkward place to put a bridge right at an estate entrance, unfortunately I can't see where else it could go. If the traffic is carefully managed it would indeed be good for people who live in castletown to get into Dublin. Isn't traffic in Celbridge mainstreet approx 20 to 30mins in mornings?

Have a little look at my (messy) plan (if it will attach!)

Once we get these main things, the builders can pretty much do what they like with the rest of the area. (not forgetting a creche, post office and a new priests house...)

It would be beautiful if they made it like Kildare shopping village, but one can dream......

The further information for Zone B of the Donaghcumper development has been submitted to Kildare Co. Council. This has been stated on the KCC planning website. I understand that full details of this will be on line this coming Wednesday, 17th December 2008. I also understand that further submissions or observations may be made in writing, both from original objectors (free) and any other members of the public (with fee).

DEADLINE: 14 January 2009.

See: Document no. 909206, Application Details: Further information Detail 10/12/08.

http://webiplan.kildarecoco.ie/publiciplan/Enquiries/rpt_QueryByFileNumber_delay.asp?username=guest&password=password&action=digitise&filenum=08439

Zone B is the area opposite Castletown Avenue: 108 detached houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Joe Public wrote: »
    Good piece by Kevin Myers

Never thought I'd hear "good piece" and "Kevin Myers" put together in the same sentence.

Macros42 wrote: »
    Never thought I'd hear "good piece" and "Kevin Myers" put together in the same sentence.

Did you read the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

The Raven. wrote: »
    There is a very good article in this week’s Liffey Champion, page 6, about the proposed Donaghcumper development. The Hon. Desmond Guinness is lodging an objection to Kildare Co. Council. So too are the Irish Georgian Society, Celbridge Community Council, Celbridge Historical Society, Celbridge Action Alliance and Liffey Valley Park Alliance.
    Since then the Hon. Desmond Guinness has sold land to Diageo to build a giant eyesore a mile or two downriver, I wonder if he'll object to that also?

vektarman wrote: »
    Since then the Hon. Desmond Guinness has sold land to Diageo to build a giant eyesore a mile or two downriver, I wonder if he'll object to that also?

Strange that you call your bread and butter an eyesore and it's not even built yet.

• Advertisement

I don't mean to be rude but I would appreciate it if we could keep this on topic, as it is a matter of extreme urgency. The Guinness development can be dealt with in another thread, if it is going to happen.

The Donaghcumper documents for Zone B are now on line and are very extensive: two of them are over 600 pages each. This is not even the half of it. Zone A will follow some time after this.

NEW DEADLINE for submissions: 23 January 2009.

http://webiplan.kildarecoco.ie/publiciplan/Enquiries/rpt_QueryByFileNumber_delay.asp?username=guest&password=password&action=digitise&filenum=08439

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Apologies for going off topic raven, and thanks for the updates.

Thanks, Vektarman. Apologies accepted. I will try to keep people up to date on both of these issues. In the meantime it is important to read the documents, especially for the people of Celbridge, as major changes to the environment are proposed, which will effect everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 soulsearcher

It would seem that Catherine Murphy is the only councillor following up on this. She recently expressed concerns about KCC's talks of a Masterplan in relation to Donaghcomper. She like me wonders how the council can make an impartial decision on the planning application in light of a Masterplan.
    Charlie Talbot assures her that the planning process is totally transparent. There is I believe an element of transparency in KCC but not enough to allow us see what is going on behind the scenes. (Sorry to mention Diageo, but I think there is lots happening behind the scenes here also.)
    It is also difficult to rationalise KCC's recent decision to work with the other three councils on the Liffey Valley Plan while they still seem hell bent on destroying the section of the Liffey Valley from Lucan to the bridge in Celbridge. At least the residents of Lucan managed to see off Ballymore homes when they stood up to the attempt to develop the land at St Edmundsbury. I hope the people of Leixlip/Celbridge won't lie down under KCC's attempts to roll a Masterplan over them. Did Devondale honestly think that by submitting their FI at this time that people would be too busy to respond? Bah humbug to them and to KCC.

Kildare Co. Council have issued a notice on the following link, inviting submissions regarding the addition of Donaghcumper House to the Record of Protected Structures.

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/ProtectedStructures/Donaghcumper/

Donaghcumper House is situated in the middle of the proposed development, as the map shows, and is a very important Celbridge heritage structure. In light of the proposed development, it is vital that this beautiful house and its curtilage are preserved by declaring it a protected structure on the RPS. A show of strength in support of this addition is much needed, especially from the people of Celbridge, as one cannot automatically assume that the decision will be positive if it is left to a few concerned residents etc. against someone who might want it demolished.

The address for submissions is on the newspaper notice in the link.

The deadline is Friday, 16 January 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 soulsearcher

Thanks raven will get onto it immediately after Christmas.

The submissions can be sent either by post or by email, to the addresses given on the notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

Hi all - I will make sure to do my submissions as well. I sent objections to the original plans. Can I just ask for some advice as to what else we might be able to do? Is there anyone else I should be writing to? I just feel I should be doing something more. I think its just so depressing to think of Celbridge being turned into a soul-less bland place like all the other useless developments around the country. I've yet to see any nice design/architecture. All the ugly apartment blocks are bad enough as it is! I'm in Celbridge all my life (nearly 30 yrs) and the change in the place is just awful.
    As well as that, the damage to the wildlife and environment! Donaghcomper is such a rare piece of land in Ireland now, all the wildlife and the view down to the church, and the nice walled approach to the village. Why can't more people see the value in that kind of thing? ok rant over, sorry :)

Thanks, Bunyip. It is good to know that there are people who are prepared to make the effort to stop this catastrophe. I presume you have looked over the Further Information submitted by the developers on the KCC link:

http://webiplan.kildarecoco.ie/publi...&filenum=08439

There is so much of it that it is mind-boggling, especially having come during the Christmas period. What is even more baffling is the fact that it is being presented at the same time as the Masterplan for the overall development. This would appear to be unprecedented and unacceptable by normal standards. The Masterplan is on the above link: DocID number: 610717, starting at page 9.

I know it is irritating and boring to have to once again trail through pages of this kind of information, which is totally ignoring the wishes and sensitivities of the residents of Celbridge and anyone who cares about our rich cultural heritage. However, if we don’t deal with it, we will be stuck with ten years of muck and dirt, resulting in the destruction of Celbridge forever.

I will get back to you towards the end of this coming week with advice. In the meantime it is very important to respond to the request for submissions re the proposal to have Donaghcumper House included on the Record of Protected Structures, as the deadline for this is Friday, 16 January 2009.

On a brighter note, here is an interesting article regarding new Planning legislation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055451390

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lb163

Celbridge does not this type of development, at least not 8 story high buildings. Look at the traffic situation in Celbridge now it is gridlock during school hours. A proper road structure need to be built first before any more developments. Now with the downturn in the building I think this will be put on the back burner for a while

Advertisement