Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange instead of 4th year?

• 30-03-2008 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

So yeah, this is probably the wrong forum to post this in but meh.
    I'm 14 and in 3rd year, and next year I want to go on exchange to another country to learn a language, instead of doing 4th year. I'm hoping for Germany or somewhere like that.
    Does anyone know any organisations that organise trips such as this for students my age (I'll be 15 when I'm going)? Preferably ones that don't require the school's permission as I don't think my principal would be all that willing to let me leave for a year and come back to do 5th year.
    I know of one, called EF, but they only allow 16 year olds and over to participate in their trips. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

I've never heard of anyone taking a whole year off instead of transition year so I can't really help you. Would you think about going on an exchange for a month or 2 weeks or so though? My school had a french exchange programme and loads of girls went over for 2 weeks and I know their French really improved.
    I also know there are german camps that you can go to- a little bit like the Gaeltacht. where you have classes in the morning and sports etc.. in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I encourage travel, but don't you think you're a bit young to spend a whole year away from family and friends? This is just me speaking, but you've only a few years left before college, so why not try make as many memories with school friends before looking at studying abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

living languages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

aliqueenb wrote: »
    living languages

Ye living languages do some amazing ones. They give you the option to stay as long as you want as well so you could for a month or the whole school year.

Me and my friend are heading to a french boarding school near Nice for 2 months around march to may. While were there we are basically proper students, go to all the normal classes, have lunch at normal times, get in trouble if we doss around type of stuff:rolleyes:

Living languages seem a bit strict though, no going on the piss even though the drinking age is 16, no smoking etc etc. It's good but strict and the school is strict enough. The upside is about 10% of the students in the school there while I'll be there are either English or Irish so you do have people who you could easily get along with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ashaman

Hey im really interested in doing something like this also going to a French School for a few months can anyone help me out with Link or advice.

pm for email address :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭leavo08

Heya,

I went to school in France for a few months in 4th year, I went with a company called Living Languages, based in Dublin in Pembrooke, I presume they have a website I will look it up!
    I learnt loads of French but as I was the only eng speaker in the huge school (8000 people)it was really daunting at the start...
    And the company dont really check out the families you go to first, so be veryyyy careful about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 theneurotic

it is possible to do; one of the girls in my ty class did a year in a french school that we did the school exchanges with, think the only problem was that she had to do entrance exams to figure out what class to go in. she had a way better (and more beneficial) time than we did though, you should def talk to your principal or ty co-ordinator about it, or even a foreign language teacher could probably tell you how to find out

Advertisement