Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal issues?

• 30-03-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hey emm bit of a problem me and my freind were outside yesterday and he had a pellet gun with him we were just in my estate and he was shooting it in the river and stuff anyway the guards were oviously called by someone and they took it off him i was just wondering are they aloud to do that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You were misusing a pellet gun, and causing a potential nuisance/hazard - I'd say they were within their rights. Get mammy or daddy to hold your hand and call down to the Garda station to ask for it back (On the grounds that you'll be more responsible in future), or ask them on what grounds they're confiscating the gun and talk to a solicitor (Or just get another gun, it'd probably be cheaper - and learn from this. Confine your silliness to private property that you own, or skirmish sites)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Yes they are... It's illegal in a public place... That's why there are skirmish sites so we can play without interference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

heyjay14 wrote: »
    Hey emm bit of a problem me and my freind were outside yesterday and he had a pellet gun with him we were just in my estate and he was shooting it in the river and stuff anyway the guards were oviously called by someone and they took it off him i was just wondering are they aloud to do that?

Well yes, you were in public with a replica firearm, that is technically assault, an older person could have been charged.

Be glad it was only confiscated, if it was worth 100€ or so, maybe consider asking for it back nicely, with his parents and assure them you would never use it in public again.
    Any thing less valuable, don't bother and take your lesson.

Clearly your friend was a bit naive, at least you had sense and wont make the same mistake he did.

I think adding a solicitor to the mix would be foolish, the guy got off lightly as is unless its a 300€ CA or something, then its the parents fault for letting him have something like that with no clue of the implications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

To be honest i dont really care its my friends pellet gun not mine im just glad i didnt bring mine out because he wanted me too.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

To be honest i dont really care its my friends pellet gun not mine im just glad i didnt bring mine out because he wanted me too.......:rolleyes:

He wanted you to, or he wanted you too? There's a (w)hole lot o' difference there.

Where'd I leave my coat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

He wanted me to bring mine out aswell as him having his out i said no cause i had a feeling u werent aloud have them in public places....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Hey,

Firstly you say your "friend" was using a pellet gun. A "pellet gun" is an Airgun which has no place on this forum. However i presume that you mean it was an airsoft gun and as such i will answer your question based on this assumption.

Your friend has assaulted the person who called the Garda.
    This person felt threatened by a person walking around with a gun and rightly called the Garda to deal with it. Your friend should not be doing anything to cause someone to feel threatened which is a type of assault, especially when using what can easily be perceived as a firearm.

So your friend was in the wrong and if he needs Legal advise or counsel i advise you tell him to look elsewhere as you will not get any here.

Regards,
    Conor Scolard
    IAA Community Liaison Officer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He wanted me to bring mine out aswell as him having his out i said no cause i had a feeling u werent aloud have them in public places....

Well, if any member of the public thinks its real then legally it is counted as if it was real.

Glad you had some common sense and your friend is a plank. He doesn't deserve to own it. I'm glad the gards took it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Lethal, your are incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Lethal: Common sense?

He didnt have enough common sense to tel his friend that what he was doing was completely stupid and have nothing to do with him/tried to stop him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hive: Good Point. They're both planks.

Boston: How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Give him some credit.

He erred on the side of caution not bringing his own airsoft out, despite not being a skirmisher or long term forum member aware of the laws, he made an assumption on the side of caution, at the end of the day it is a toy, not knowing the legislation mistakes can be made by those not in the know.

Second of all he posted here asking for advice and clarification.

Sure, he could have given his friend a lecture on how it "may" be illegal, but I gather he is a 14 year old, not knowing the facts and a thick headed friend a convincing argument do not make.

Give him some positive reinforcement for the things he did right, and sure, tell him they were planks after that and explain why.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Closed while I read through this to see how it sits with our charter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ok this isn't the shooting forum so pellet guns don't belong here. Secondly there is far too much legal advice being thrown around as fact. Thankfully some people bothered to hit the report button while the rest decided to moderate it them selves... :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement