Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Very interesting rundown Snowbie, thanks. Most of the storms we get on this side during the summer tend to come from a trough that moves up from the south or south east which ties in with the land energy argument. The supercells we had here in the west in 86 was such an example, as was yours in the east in 85.

Do you have any thoughts on why them particular storms were so violent? and evenly distributed within the space of a year?. I have often wondered why these two, once in a lifetime violent storms occured in such a short time frame at opposite ends of the country. Could there have been pollution/climatical factors involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Very interesting rundown Snowbie, thanks. Most of the storms we get on this side during the summer tend to come from a trough that moves up from the south or south east which ties in with the land energy argument. The supercells we had here in the west in 86 was such an example, as was yours in the east in 85.

Do you have any thoughts on why them particular storms were so violent? and evenly distributed within the space of a year?. I have often wondered why these two, once in a lifetime violent storms occured in such a short time frame at opposite ends of the country. Could there have been pollution/climatical factors involved?
    Meteorological a perfect setup i'd imagine for a brekaout=rare. I dont think any other factors contributed like pollution/climatical factors involved.

Nowadays another event thats getting too far in between for my likin is the Bay of Biscay storms for the eastern side if Ireland:(. Spectacular electrified events these lads.

Cape is runing at 350j/kg LI -1.5 for the majority of the country bar the east. Once this stratus blows away conditions will be favourable for shower development.

Atm there is TCu and CBs through Limerick, Cork moving into Tipp heading towards Black Briar again.No strikes as yet with also some cumulus build up over the Wicklow mtns from orographic lift.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Thunder and lightning now in Mountrath - heading south east by the looks of things

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Two rumbles out here just now, didn't see any lightning though.

Edit: 5 or 6 rumbles now, just seen them appear on Snowbies detector.

Major fork hit just south of here on the mountains, less than a mile or two away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

TS in clondalkin :D

The rumbles sound awesome

TS alright detected on the SW of the Dublin county now. Faint rumbles here.

That's gotta be the best TS I've seen in a while, lots of forks and huge hail. Moved off to the SE now, still faint rumbles to be heard.

Maxed at 13 strikes p/min and 121 strikes in total from that storm.Moderate in nature but sure a very good one by our standards. Just one loud rumble to be heard and the rest faint. Moved over the south of the city/county now.
    And its still going.

Here is the storm that has moved through South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Clearing up nicely now in Southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jaysus thunder to the south in Arklow yesterday and to the north today in Dublin..I want some here in the middle!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I could hear some distant rumbles from the north. It looks and sounded closer than Dublin

Here is the map and graph stats

Ireland.jpg

Mothman wrote: »
    I could hear some distant rumbles from the north. It looks and sounded closer than Dublin

It seemed mostly to the south of me was moving south east in the direction of Kippure.

Edit: Here we go again! Lightning to the south and more hail!

Now another rumble just there again over the south side

A big rumble there.......or was that me?
    :pac:

Planet X wrote: »
    A big rumble there.......or was that me?
    :pac:

Whereabouts are you located Planet X?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Stillorgan

I used to live in Rathgar and often noticed that going through Stillorgan that it was prone to heavy showers in certain conditions.
    Wasn't one of the heaviest rainfall rates recorded there? , Stillorgan - Lepordstown area seems to be especially prone to thunderstorms/ heavy rain in showers.

• Advertisement

Look how it developed rapidly over Kildare and notice the anvil spreading out(flat top) as whisps of high cloud.Even notice some pileus cloud bursting through the top into the stratosphere.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Good TS here for an hour or so with sporadic thunder and lightning - couldn't see the full extent, but could hear it, as I was in Homebase for most at that time :mad: Storm seemed to be concentrated over the Dublin mountains. Hail drifts on the drive home:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

One to my NW may well fire up.
    Building quickly, not flattening yet

Also one to your WSW nearing Longfield. Lift is sure working over the mountains today.

Fantastic skies here currently, really chaotic stuff, am in Scarr's shadow i think though, Arctictree and Mothman might see something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Superb storm in Dundrum around 4. A good 4 or 5 strikes a minute nad lots of hail. Some fairly bad flash flooding around Bray and Loughinstown atm as well. Have been told that it hit hear as well.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Also one to your WSW nearing Longfield. Lift is sure working over the mountains today.
    I could see that one but heard nothing.
    There was some mammatus forming as I was looking at it.It seemed very slow moving to the Northwest of me near lug.

Meanwhile no thunder heard here today,though I did get rightly pissed on by hailstones with nowhere to run to whilst fixing a shed roof in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Was in my brothers house near Firhouse, and fantastic view of forked lightening hitting parts of tallaght and then around 5 there was a massive flash thought the house was hit and the loudest thunder I've ever heard, we thought the substation just down the road had got hit but it didn't! Brilliant stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I'm looking out of our lounge window now and I can see very dark clouds over the Wexford direction.
    Not heard anything yet though.:(

Could do with a good storm, haven't had one for ages.

• Advertisement

Another two cells have formed over the midlands and might get a spark or two out of these mainly in Meath or possibly N Dublin before dying away.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement