Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

A 15-year-old boy has been struck by lightning in Tallaght RTE reports
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0412/lightning.html?rss

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Man that sucks, I could see the forks hitting over that direction from here. Hope the kid comes out of it okay. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Snowbie wrote: »
    Meteorological a perfect setup i'd imagine for a brekaout=rare. I dont think any other factors contributed like pollution/climatical factors involved.

Nowadays another event thats getting too far in between for my likin is the Bay of Biscay storms for the eastern side if Ireland:(. Spectacular electrified events these lads.

I agree, but I still think it is unusual to have storms of that magnitude to occur over such a short time spectrum. However, it is random luck as you say. Bay of Biscay jobs certainly becoming more rare. There is nothing like a homegrown to become incorporated into one of these as they move up over Ireland.

Our day will come again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Damomanye wrote: »

Damn thats sad I probably saw the bolt that hit him as I had a great view of the storm as it passed over tallaght and there was multiple strikes, saw it on the 9 o'clock news, it left a fairly big scorch mark on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Convection really getting going today with a lot of cumulus build up already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

same down here

Damomanye wrote: »
    Teen dies after lightning strike
    Sunday, 13 April 2008 11:05
    A 14-year-old boy struck by lightning in a Dublin suburb yesterday has died.

14-year-old Patrick Ryan Corr was on his way home.

He was walking through a green space between Kilclare Gardens and Kilclare Crescent in Tallaght, West Dublin at around 4.30pm yesterday afternoon when he was struck by a bolt of lightning.

Patrick suffered injuries to the left side of his head, and exit wounds to his feet.

One of his neighbours witnessed the flash of lightning and then saw him lying on the ground,he was treated by an ambulance crew at the scene before being brought to Tallaght Hospital.

A spokesperson for Tallaght Hospital said that Patrick never regained consciousness, and died in the early hours of this morning.
    Sad sad news.:(

That's a shocker :(

A sad, sad reminder of the power of the weather. :(

My thoughts go out to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Some good towering cumulus around already today, skies already looking stormy. Seems to be a big anvil further North over town/just out to sea. Are upper winds North-East today? Just looking at the clouds, they seem to be going East of North .
    nemonoid wrote: »

Ditto:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'll second that.

Totally unrelated, but while I was out and about during that thunderstorm yesterday, around 4pm, I passed the playing fields at Nutgrove/Churchtown and there was a football match ongoing during the storm, i.e. there was still flashes of lightning in the sky and loud thunder. I was absolutely shocked and to say the least. This seemed/looked to be a semi-official match with a referee, spectators, etc. I just thought, in my opinion, the referee and coaches/managers were wreckless continuing or allowing the match to continue. Absolutley crazy madness to the extent that I was almost going to email the FAI!!!!!

Please, please note that I am not trying to suggest that the boy who was killed was doing anything wreckless or otherwise.

This tragic incident might remind people of the dangers of lightning and that it is a danger in this country and not something that happens in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

5. (and counting) loud rumbles of thunder from huge shower to my south.

Detector back on after an unusual long back up of my PC.

A seabreeze front is in the making here on the east coast. Wind here is east circa 8 mph and Cb's are forming in a line from north to south roughly 5 miles inland parallel to the coast.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Big storm line has developed inland over West Dublin heading southeast.

Really picking up in intensity.

Just passing west of here, quite a few rumbles off in the distance. Sky looks fierce.

More or less continous soft hail and rain here.
    Vile.
    I'm not at all surprised theres thunder about again.The athmospheres perfect for it again today alas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Some nice convection here today. Sky is very clear to allow good viewing. Just heard about that kid who died. Very tragic. :(

The shield is holding up well here.
    Showers, N, W & S during past hour.

Ditto MM, everything just moving to my west too. Look to the north out to sea and you can see a CB that formed over NI moving just off shore. It might just clip you.

• Advertisement

2 forks of lightning here so far and explosive thunder.
    Turning pc off!

Ye are right this stuff close to the east coast is developing fast!

More or less continous soft hail and rain here.
    Vile.
    I'm not at all surprised theres thunder about again.The athmospheres perfect for it again today alas!

And now BB has reported 4 long explosions and forks

Edit, make that 5.

Storm between Arklow and Gorey

Severe looking storm to my NNW

Thunder heard here, take care

Thunder here now, cell just west of here and another just south.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Same story here in Swords. About 4 claps of thunder.

Mothman wrote: »
    And now BB has reported 4 long explosions and forks

Edit, make that 5.

Storm between Arklow and Gorey
    That storm has headed south over mid wexford now.I can still hear long rumbles from it but fading.
    Sunny overhead here now.

Mothman could I have some of whatever it is in your shield.

By the way the storm that passed over here looked like text book convergence.I'd say the precip from it didn't reach the coast but got about a mile from it.
    Wind is NE.

As ever,it goes without saying those tempted to get a closer look at lightning,do so from a car and not out in the open or worse under something tall.
    You should be fairly safe in a car as it acts as a faraday cage.

True BB, the storm here has passed close to the airport while planes where still landing. Seen 5 IC lightning.

I say it went directly over the Blanchardstown area

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

That storm near Swords seems to have moved on. Only a brief spell of rain. It's heading off southwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Watched the storm approach from the north. Lots of intracloud lightning. As the shower was about to hit, I could see the wall of hail moving in and the hail was so heavy and big. Storm is dying now as no lightning when hail was falling. Still raining. Very impressive and active strom for its very small size

Another muffled crack of thunder just now. Still hailing quite heavily. Pea sized now. I was perfectly located for this storm.....why didn't I get the video camera out!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement