Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any one have numbers of nice homes for Snowbie to retire to?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Now i see Napoleon.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I see a little chick - like the yellow ones you see round easter!!!

/grabs coat/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Oddly enough, I see that face as well. But then again, I see them all the time..:o
    :D

Didn't here it laugh though, that would have involved making some sort of sound. :mad:

Roll on summer..

Snowbie, Can you explain CAPE...? This chart was posted in response to a post of mine on TWO earlier. I haven't a clue what it means, but I've seen you mention it a couple of times in relation to convection potential. How should it be read and what does one look for when looking.?:o

Cheers.

• Advertisement

This might be useful :-
    http://www.tornadochaser.net/cape.html

Cape and LI don't seem particularly indicative of storms today in Ireland though Southern Spain and Netherlands may have some low to moderate intensity stuff.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Taken from metcheck:
    CAPE - This is the amount of potential energy in the atmosphere. High CAPE will indicate a high chance of thunderstorms.
    CAPE values from 1 - 1,500 show thunderstorms are possible.
    CAPE values from 1,500 - 2,500 show powerful thunderstorms are possible.
    CAPE values from 2,500+ show severe thunderstorms are possible.

LI - Lifted Index (LI) displays the 'trigger' potential at the surface to initiate unstable conditions. A low or negative LI will indicate conditions for thunderstorms are favourable.
    LI values from -1 to -3 are unstable, -4 to -6 are very unstable, -7 or less are extremely unstable.

Supercell yer link is broked, wait its loading in mozilla :o

Cheers SC, will have a good read of that later and try to put it into some sort of context. :)

Edit, cheers Hal1.

Hal1 wrote: »

Supercell yer link is broked, wait its loading in mozilla :o

Lol, thats academia giving two fingers to MS I think hehe.
    It works fine in Firefox, I dont use IE except to check work mails from home so didn't notice that.

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Snowbie, Can you explain CAPE...? This chart was posted in response to a post of mine on TWO earlier. I haven't a clue what it means, but I've seen you mention it a couple of times in relation to convection potential. How should it be read and what does one look for when looking.?:o

Cheers.
    The chart is color coded by the key on the right as the CAPE predicton while the numbers on chart indicate the lift(LI).As you can see the higher the cape the lower the Lift indice which gives a risk of TS developing.

Hal1 chart from metcheck is used globally as in terms of potential severity, but it is unlikely that here in Ireland you will see a cape value of 1000j/kg and a LI of lower than -6. In the south of the UK where a MCS or a rare supercell being exported from France you can see a cape value of over 1500j/kg but is rare.

The highest cape values here in Ireland would be detected in late July and the month of August where maximun convection(high surface temps) accompanied with high humidity and high dewpoints are very favourable in this time.All 3 are ingredients for our best chance of homegrown storms to develop in this country as exports are a rarity ie:Bay of Biscay and Welsh storms are less frequent due to cooler SST during our most favourable months above nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

...Ireland and western UK...

Cold upper airmass will overspread the region during the day, leading to steep mid level lapse rates and a few hundred J/kg of CAPE. Convection should be mostly non-severe, but good LL buoyancy as well as low LCL heights during the afternoon suggest that a few brief tornadoes / waterspouts are not ruled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Certainly some nice CB's running up along the west of me at the moment, but with a feed coming in off the bay over me again, no doubt any showers will be much moderated by the time they reach here.:rolleyes: Defo looking good for locations away from western/southwestern facing coasts.

Enjoy..for me!!

Notable showers and cb's around my area now but just a couple of big drops is all I got here. No thunder as usual. Looking at the radar:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

it looks like there are some big showers moving across Munster, heading into the midlands, could be a lively evening in Leinster later. :)

Yep, the clump over the Celtic sea is interesting. Should hit the south coast within the next 2hrs. Possibly intensify overland with surface heating.

Snowbie's detector picking up some strikes in east midlands now. Clouds are darkening all the while here. Looks like a downpour over Tuam town, but dry here 8 miles northeast. The big showers this morning slipped to my west, now the are running to the east of me. The irony. :rolleyes: as I miss out again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Just had 6 loud crashes of thunder(and counting) so logging off now, its almost overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Met rainfall radar showing some nasty showers passing the country, its all calm here in Carlow at the moment.

A decent TS has broken out over parts of Meath atm moving NNE.
    While down the spine of England a strong storm has being going on for over an hour now.

Beautifull summers day here all day.
    I can see distant cb's over towards lugnaquilla-I doubt there'll be a shower here now untill over night or later this evening which is a blessing.
    I don't see how that army of showers over the south and west is going to miss us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Storm has moved on to ratoath direction(think it is dead now anyway). I saw quite a few forks (around 10) and the rest was rain wrapped but the thunder was loud enough to rattle the windows.

Also, the rain was torrential for a time. The small ts has let off another couple of forks in ratoath direction just there.

• Advertisement

Have got a good few snaps of your TS rc28.Some good viewing of the CB from the side here. Will upload later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Huge CB passing northeastwards to my west now, stunning cloudscape

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

A good few flashes and rumbles of thunder ( 7+ ) here in blanchardstown. Don't think it went right overhead though as it wasn't that severe. Heavey hail tho..

Recorded it for the craic :)

Plenty of rain here and sweet F A else.:mad:

Great to see some are getting a walloping.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

After a lovely day here, the heavens have really opened, we've had 11mm of rain in the last 35 mins and the main rain area hasnt even reached us yet.:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very nice little thundestorm that was, I got some pictures of the skyline which was very impressive at the time, will upload if I get time later on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nothing to report TS wise here yesterday despite reports of thunder in west and north Dublin.

Looks like better CAPE & LI this afternoon for us here in Dublin than yesterday. I'd like a 'nice little thunderstorm'! :)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'd like a 'nice little thunderstorm'! :)

As would I..

Very convective skies already here with some huge CBs being observed to the wnw, roughly over the Claremorris area. Certainly looking good for some today, but of course I already know that they will miss here again. :(:)

Very potent shower breaking out to my near NW, just inside the Roscommon/Mayo border roughly, hopefully this will bring something but nothing observed yet. Had one very distant and long rumble here about 30 mins ago. Has rained continuously here since 12pm, with a couple of downpours. Have recorded 7mm so far since noon.

Think I might go for a drive to Roscommon....:p

Edit, no point now, shower is visably desolving before my eyes.

Still pouring cold rain though...with no thunder.

Feck this Smiley-IPB-271.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

ANy links to CAPE/LI maps for today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement