Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I heard about 3 deep booms of thunder from a cell heading from south west wicklow kind of northeastwards towards lugnaquilla and probably in the direction of artictree and supercell.

It's connected to a circular structure that is curving all the way from lug around westwicklow,into north wexford and out into arklow bay with a wall on it's southern side.
    The thunder is coming from it's farthest northern tip.
    There are loads of bubbling cb's all along it's path.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Maps are not bad for Thunderstorms today actually, cape and li look reasonably favourable.

Certainly a rather brilliant looking Nimus cloud to my south, haven't heard any thunder from it though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I heard about 3 deep booms of thunder from a cell heading from south west wicklow kind of northeastwards towards lugnaquilla and probably in the direction of artictree and supercell.

It's connected to a circular structure that is curving all the way from lug around westwicklow,into north wexford and out into arklow bay with a wall on it's southern side.
    The thunder is coming from it's farthest northern tip.
    There are loads of bubbling cb's all along it's path.

Aha, that must be what I'm just north of so, though it looked impressive!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I'd take a step outside now and start listening supercell as it's closing in :D
    Booming outside here albeit low but regular rumbles

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Very heavy thundery downpour in Dundalk the last hour or so, with some hail mixed in...seems to spring up out of nowhere on the time lapse doppler. Didn't see any lightning though...

[edit] Ah, nice close flash of lightning to my south...thunder came about 4 seconds after flash. Not showing on snowbie's detector but I didn't imagine it...

[edit2] Mother of a hail shower now, hail about 6mm across and laying on grass.

I'd take a step outside now and start listening supercell as it's closing in :D
    Booming outside here albeit low but regular rumbles

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en

It seems to be heading eastwards just to the south of me - seems to happen a lot with convective showers with a westerly element to the wind - Lug and Scarr seem to deflect them more to the east - Mothman may see something out of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Heavens have just opened up over Dundalk again, very heavy rain with hail too.

just after seeing the start of a tornado in the direction of Cooley/Newry, classic funnel cloud coming down and very wide, first time i've seen one for real, brilliant to see it and amazing :D

What?! F*ck it, that last shower was menacing but I didn't go out the front of the house to see it go north. Me out with camera all day too...

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    What?! F*ck it, that last shower was menacing but I didn't go out the front of the house to see it go north. Me out with camera all day too...
    Wish I had my camera to snap it, it would of been a class photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Brief, sudden and violent downpour lasting just 5 mins just passed. Hail too. Surprisingly, or should I say, unsurprisingly, there is no lightning or thunder despite ther colossal convection around. Will try a post a few pics up later on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

The biggest thundercloud i have ever seen (not sure if i could call it a supercell or not), is currently rolling past me about 3 miles east of me in a N to S general direction. There has been a few rumbles from it earlier on, not sure if it will pass directly over head, but it looks damn impressive (and most likely even more so from a distance away) Gonna see if i can get some good pics of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snatched this shot about about 9pm rainfall that didn't reach the ground:

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

A weak funnel cloud crossed about about a mile east in the late afternoon: (badly captured):

DSC00187.jpg

An evening anvil forms in the distance, only to quicky dissipate about 20 mins after this snap:

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

Developing anvil over a shower that rumbled over the west Galway region mid afternoon:

DSC00157.jpg

Pretty limp day for convection to be honest, hoping for something a bit more exciting over the next few months.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Appears to be a bit of activity in the south Midlands area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Appears to be a bit of activity in the south Midlands area.
    Thar she blows. Approaching from my South-West atm. Looks impressive
    DSC_13510001_1.JPG

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yeah trogdor, I can see that one too - looks really impressive but dosn't seem to much coming out of it.

Mod/Heavy Sleet reported at Oak Park, Carlow at 18.00 - 5.1mm :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Alot of shower clouds around Laois ATM. However, I notice that there is alot of evapouration happening around 500-1000m and the stuff is not getting down to the ground.

Also, have a look at this 6pm report!!!

sleet.jpg

Yeah trogdor, I can see that one too - looks really impressive but dosn't seem to much coming out of it.

Mod/Heavy Sleet reported at Oak Park, Carlow at 18.00 - 5.1mm :eek:

LOL!!! You beat me to it!!!

At least you managed to post the report for the unbelivers! :rolleyes:

Having said that, it's not that mad, I have photos somewhere of it snowing (not sticking) in Dublin sometime in the late '80's/early '90s ('89 maybe) on May 1st also.

• Advertisement

Is that an automated station?, I'm sceptical to say the least!

At least you managed to post the report for the unbelivers! :rolleyes:

Having said that, it's not that mad, I have photos somewhere of it snowing (not sticking) in Dublin sometime in the late '80's/early '90s ('89 maybe) on May 1st also.

It definitely can, I remember it snowing heavily for about an hour from a slow moving shower on May 3rd (at least that's the date in my mind,, maybe it was the same May 1st one though..its a long time ago!) in the 80's in Dalkey, the stuff was actually starting to settle just before the shower passed- sticks in my mind to this day, it was unreal.

Large (6-7mm) hail falling in Dundalk right now from the front of a pretty big echo on the radar....another even bigger one scooting in behind it. Might be some electrics wrapped up in that one...

[edit] Two thunder rumbles just now, hail has given way to extrmely heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Some great mamma displays overhead atm but nothing faling from it here, the core seems to be heading straight for Dublin

trogdor wrote: »
    Some great mamma displays overhead atm but nothing faling from it here, the core seems to be heading straight for Dublin

That stuff is overhead here atm and just some light rain from it, nothing too exciting, not even hail, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Few claps of thunder in Ashbourne right now.

Second storm this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Any pics for us poor deprived souls? Can see dark skies to the west.

Danno wrote: »
    Alot of shower clouds around Laois ATM. However, I notice that there is alot of evapouration happening around 500-1000m and the stuff is not getting down to the ground.

This is what I mean:

NoRain-May1st2008.jpg

Had a heavy shower (6.3mm/hr) at 9.40pm. Dumped 0.6mm so I guess it did get down to ground level after! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

hey guys, had a whopper of a storm today here on the kk/cw border thunder and lightning lasted for a couple of hours first in the distance then over head then moving away, lightning and thunder every few minutes ,but it was the rain and the hail that was amazing, never have i seen hail fall so big and fast, the worst was at 6pm lasted about 15mins the hail came down fast and hard and in minutes it was a winter wonderland hail as big as 10mm the noise was ferosious, there was avalanches of hail/ice falling off the roofs all around as the gutter filled and roads dissapered under hail, dangerous driving, cars had pulled in to the side of the main road as visability was almost nil,. ive longed for somthing extreme for years now and i got it today, the power of nature god ye got to love it.

• Advertisement

Amazing. I seen that shower cloud to my east round tea time allright. Looked impressive with a right size anvil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement