Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Was in norfolk for the last couple of days, some fantastic events there. Clouds were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Thunderstorm in the Irishsea just off the Dublin coast. Lots of flashes in the last few mins. Just flared up. Out of nowhere this came.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Guys I'm getting inter cloud lightening here right now. Seeing nothing on the detector pages but getting a clap every 30 secs to a minute. Very much to the south of me so I'd expect something over the city right now.

Yeah, Snowbie, I was surprised myself. Had just headed to bed and was about to turn in when I heard the thunder and it took me a bit to get out of bed because I thought it was something else. Just started my own thread as well.

This was an export from Wales that has flare up over the sea. Here is the radar image.
    Lots of flashes from it.

• Advertisement

It aint inter cloud anymore and it's getting closer I thnk. Just saw a CG strike.

Snowbie is there a projected track for this storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Snowbie:

This is what my detector is seeing at 12.23am:
    http://durrow.athost.net/images/08052008%200023z%20-%20Lightning%20Screenshot.JPG

Does seem to be coming closer gradually. I can't figure out a path though.

• Advertisement

Storm is moving in a NW motion, id say land fall just to your north somewhere between Balbriggan and Drogheda.
    Spectacular IC. Very faint rumbles heard.

Danno, that is close to where it is. Was replying to your post when detector started to pick up strikes.

Has gone quiet now but more development could spark this off if croses over still a relatively warm land. Caught me by surprise this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Ive been watching it here in Balbriggan too. Thought I was hearing things at first. Quite frequent lightning, taking a minute before the distant deep booming rumbles can be heard. Seems to be drifting northward to some extent, but getting closer.

I just went up to the attic - opened the velux. I can see the flashes from here! Amazing! I am over 60 miles away!!! :D:D:D

Will get the camcorder and record it!

The beauty of lightning at night Danno, you can see it for miles. There is a little haze but stars can be seen overhead here. The lightning occurs and it illuimates the skyline and the CB, fantastic.

Frequency of lightening has dropped off here now but hopefuly we'll see a good bit more again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Frequency has dropped off alright, but just got a very close one, followed by with the loudest rumble yet. I think that just woke up everone else in the house! Might disconnect for a while!:)

Got a few more IC from the storm. It should be hugging the coast near Balbriggan.Frequency has dropped. Radar has it moving slighly parallel to the coast in a NNW motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowbie, is this right..?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Looks like a biggie over the east midlands. What is your radar showing?

I only seen one more flash. Had the camcorder to capture it, but on playback it was just black screen. :(

Must remember to put on night-mode next time.

looks to be fizzling at this stage.Nothing much happened here in the last 10 mins. 3 strinkes only

• Advertisement

Snowbie, is this right..?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Looks like a biggie over the east midlands. What is your radar showing?
    It is showing an anaprop? but there has been a few strikes from that direction.
    As the storm(irishsea) is close to my detector the amount of noise a lightning strike generates (and mainly from IC as it stretches for maybe a few miles across the sky it will pick up the signal from that branch from origin to end of the strike so it can sometimes displace it on map).

I think that is an anaprop but will watch that one close on the radar i use.

The dissipating cell over the sea is now on track for the Cooley peninsula in Louth. Will it flare again over land. Quite possible.

Perhaps that is what I was seeing from the attic then? Maybe there's a closer storm!

Snowbie wrote: »
    The dissipating cell over the sea is now on track for the Cooley peninsula in Louth. Will it flare again over land. Quite possible.
    Dissipating my eye. Has become larger and still on course for the Cooley peninsula.

Danno wrote: »
    Perhaps that is what I was seeing from the attic then? Maybe there's a closer storm!
    Nah its defo anaprop. You are witnessing the storm off the coast.Check the attach:)

The Sat24 shows it building nicely: http://sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

Also, there was development over Tipperary that didn't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowbie wrote: »
    It is showing an anaprop?

..:o I am but a simple man...:o

If it is a storm, should be able to see some sort of weak lightning here if it gets into the north midlands..

could be just an intense patch of fog though.:)

..:o I am but a simple man...:o
    could be just an intense patch of fog though.:)
    Not at all:)
    Fog and depends on how dense can give off an anaprop on radar.

I was watching a developing shower over south Wales earlier(NW movement) due to surface warming there but had given up any chance of it intensifing over a cool Irish sea.

With an area of moist air from Wales added with steepening lapse rates(instability) moving up through the cool Irish sea, also warm air being drawn up from the south ahead of the front to our SW, this small cell exploded about 12 miles east of where i am.Very localised storm with nothing to its rear following.

Sometimes you just never know.

Can still see distant lightning from this storm also with added lift from the mourne mountains it has intensified and i seriously need to go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

damn missed it:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement