Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books to movies?

• 30-03-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of plans for a David Gemmell book being filmed?
    Alot of people say Legend... I dunno. Waylander might be best to start with.
    Then again, Id love to see Jon Shannow up on the silver screen.

Raymond E Feist - Magician etc etc

Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time would be a gargantuan effort

I heard that once upon a time Tom Cruise had an interest in Rally Cry. (William Forstchen's Lost Regiment series)
    Heard nothing since.

Morgan Llywelyn's Red Branch/On Raven's Wing would be class to see made into a movie.

Tolkien - Akallabeth and the Last Alliance

Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman - Good Omens

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Annatar

Forgot to add
    Age of Misrule... class trilogy. Done properly it could be nicely creepy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Annatar wrote: »
    Raymond E Feist - Magician etc etc

I really wouldn't like to see that done into a movie....quite simply, too much happens over the book to make it into a film. I don't think you could even get away with splitting it in two (when the story switches away from Kelewan).

LOTR was quite well handled, but even then were heading towards epic length....and I've always maintained that Tolkien's writing was heavy on setting and light on story.

I really think there's just too much story in Magician to do it justice on the silver screen.

Having said all of that, it could be tackled as a miniseries....albeit one needing a big budget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Short stories make good movies because they don't have the density of info the novel contains and tend to get to the point that bit quicker, thats why Philip K Dick stuff tends to do well on celluloid, that said I'd love to see A Fall Of Moondust by Arthur C Clarke, Raft by Stephen Baxter and Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks, I reckon they'd all make super movies.
    The Nights Dawn trilogy would be great too, but would have to be a massive epic over a number of films, as would the Takeshi Kovacs books by Richard Morgan, mmmm... nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pfft, just film whoever would play the women in Wheel of time tugging their braids and folding their arms under their breasts once, and reuse over and over again it to save hours of recording time, millions in actor wages and miles of film reel. It worked for Manimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055177679

I'd love to see a big screen version of Legend that did justice to the character - would be class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AceofSpades001

Sarky wrote: »
    Pfft, just film whoever would play the women in Wheel of time tugging their braids and folding their arms under their breasts once, and reuse over and over again it to save hours of recording time, millions in actor wages and miles of film reel. It worked for Manimal.

Haha, they get so narked so often in those books.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Apparently Sword of Truth (*puke*) is being made into some kind of series.

Advertisement