Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband freezing late at night

Options
  • 30-03-2008 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭

I use ntl broadband , and connect it via a Netgear router , which i use for a VOIP telephone (blueface) , had in place for nearly 2 years , all working ok until the past week.
    Evert night at around 10 or 11 pm , the system crawls , the router stops working , and broadband connection crawls , NTL say the modem is fine , blueface say the router can't cause brroadband problems .
    I use AVG free service to scan machine regularly , but it doesn't check for Trojan Horses , have to pay for this ?
    what i am now doing is unplugging modem and router when it starts slowing down , in case anyone is using my connection illegally, any other ideas ?

Cheers,
    b.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its maybe NTL going down, when you say freezes do you have any net access at al.
    - Can youi ping your router still?
    - Can you ping your cable modem still?
    - Can you ping google.com still?

Might be worth connecting the cable modem directly to your PC without the router as this will easily allow you to rule out the router as a cause, also if your using a wireless connection it might be worth using wired to rule out a wireless issue

Personally I'd say its an NTL issue, I have them from time to time with my own NTL connection here in Waterford where the connection crawls like mad but yet the modem keeps sync/rdy lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

cheers --
    your probably right , the problem was that it didn't go down completly , just unworkably slow , NTL said it didn't go down , and modem was fine -- but its been all right past few nights , so fingers crossed .
    Thanks again.

Advertisement