Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pausing a game due to bad weather

• 30-03-2008 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for the noob question, I seek the knowledge from the experts of this forum.

I'm typing this as a sudden torrential spell of hailstones has come lashing down. Hammering off my roof and setting off car alarms.
    I know football matches cannot begin if the referee deems it unsafe. And they can be abandoned for something like heavy fog and floodlights failing.

My question is can a game be paused for 10 minutes or so due to bad weather. Imagine a Premiership game and suddenly the most godawful burst of hailstones comes thundering down.
    Can the referee call the players off the field until conditions improve?
    I remember playing GAA in my younger days and we always played on despite hailstones, but if they are heavy enough I'd imagine it'd be unsafe

For the life of me, I don't think I've ever heard of a game paused. Stopped and replayed another day yes, but not paused for a few minutes and then restarted

Does it happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I was at a junior soccer league game once where the referee stopped the game for about five minutes to allow a torrential hail shower pass. It was a funny sight too with two full squads hiding behind a four foot high wall ;). I've never heard of it happening anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Yep had it happen to me too. I would imagine its possible in a premier league game too if the ref deemed the game unsafe.
    I
    m trying to think of the game where the ref sent everyone into the dressing rooms for a bit because of crowd trouble, it would have to be really really bad weather but probably falls along same lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

yeah, a game can be stopped and resume at the referee's discretion. happened at the JJB before too when the lights went out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

yeah seen a game paused in pro football and junior level too.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wasn't the Inter/AC CL match a few years ago postponed for a few minutes, then resumed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

astrofool wrote: »
    Wasn't the Inter/AC CL match a few years ago postponed for a few minutes, then resumed?

yes due to smoke form flares I think
    The most memorable example of a game being paused and then resumed due to bad weather conditions was Juventus v Perugia on the last day of the season.
    Juventus and Lazio were fighting for the title on the last day During the lat 15 mins of the first half in the Juventus game the rain started and continued to get worse during half time.
    Collina who was reffing the Juventus game came out for the start of the second half and it was obvious the game coulndt be playing in the current conditions.
    The Lazio game was halted so as not to give them an unfair advantage around 40 mins later collina tested the pitch again by bouncing the ball on it
    ball just sank down in the flood soaked pitch but instructions were obvioulsy given the game had to go ahead anyway as the Lazio 2nd half had started about 30 mins after it was suposed to. Peruiga won 1-0 and Juventus lost the title it was the worst conditions ive ever seen a game be played in would certinaly been called of it if it wasnt last day of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ive experienced this at junior level also. How I miss those days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Was there a game that had to be resumed for like the final minute or something?

I might well be dreaming this :) Thought it had an English team/Major european team

Advertisement