Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting WW - Shopping List

• 30-03-2008 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all!

Well, I'm finally in the zone to go back on WW from tomorrow. Sooo, I want to do a shop this evening and stock up on the ole favourites.

So far my shopping list looks like -
    • fresh lemons
    • tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, onions, mushrooms, chillies
    • tins of tuna
    • pitta breads
    • extra light philadelphia
    • soleros (my fave!)
    • bananas, mandarins, pineapple chunks
    • chicken breast fillets
    • tayto snax
    • ww bread
    • red berries
    • low fat yogurts
    • meringue nests
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Porridge oats.
    Skim milk.
    Apples.
    Sugar free jelly.
    eggs.
    Ryvitas

Is there any reason you chose WW bread? If I recall it is white? you would be better off with wholemeal. And I don't think WW bread is particularly low in points, check the nutritional info against other brands. If you like the taste that is fine, but wholemeal is low GI meaning you get a slower release of energy and might be more likely to not get hungry as easy.

Ryvitas are only about 10g each, a good bit less than a normal slice of bread. The sesame ones are really nice. I tend to easily overeat bread so pick them, still get the crunch/carbs craving I am after.

Bananas are also higher GI than other fruits, and quite high in sugar/points, bananas have around twice the sugar as mandarins/apples/oranges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Thanks! I skipped the WW bread in the end and got pittas and mccambridge bread as well. Just planning a dinner menu for the week now. The only reason I bought bananas is because I'm USELESS at eating breakfasts. It's always my downfall. So this time, I'm planning on doing hot water and lemon as soon as I get to work, and bring a banana in with me as well. I know it's not the greatest breakfast in the world, but it's a start :rolleyes:

I'm just about to plan my meals now for the week, and prepare as many in advance as I can, so no excuses about coming home late from work and having a 'can't be arsed' moment!

The only thing I'm not sure about is my lunch. I eat at the canteen in work and the plan is to have a small bowl of veg soup and 2 small slices of soda bread. But I dont know how to point the soup, since I dont make it myself. Any ideas?

smiler26 wrote: »
    Thanks! I skipped the WW bread in the end and got pittas and mccambridge bread as well.
    A good choice. When I buy 800g sliced pans they are gone in a few days. A tip is to freeze them, this way it is harder to make them, I find myself walking buy the bread bin and grabbing a slice. I also tell myself it will go stale and justify eating it! Ryvitas, mccambridges and pitta stay fresher longer, and are lower in weight per pack. I would get wholemeal pittas if you can.

I use pittas and ryvitas as pizza bases. Just spread on tomato puree (it comes in toothpaste type tubes) and sprinkle on some low fat cheese and maybe some ham or cooked chicken. In another thread somebody was freezing laughing cow cheese, I imagine you could freeze a block of philidelphia, then they grated it onto stuff. I then microwave the "pizza" for 10-20 seconds, or grill it.
    The only reason I bought bananas is because I'm USELESS at eating breakfasts.
    Nothing really wrong with bananas, I was just pointing out they might be higher in points that other fruits. You could slice up a fresh banana, add it to some plain oats and milk to make up your own museli. Since the banana is still fresh and whole it will fill you better than muselis with dry slices. I would put a spoon of your protein in too, it thickens it like yoghurt.

The only thing I'm not sure about is my lunch. I eat at the canteen in work and the plan is to have a small bowl of veg soup and 2 small slices of soda bread. But I dont know how to point the soup, since I dont make it myself. Any ideas?
    I am not sure how to point it. If I am unsure of calorie/point content I usually go to the supermarket and pick a similar product of the same size, I look for the one with the highest points/calories and go from there. You get tubs of fresh soup in supermarkets now, so look on those packs. Be aware of portion sizes. Stuff like soup should be similar enough. Stuff like chinese is a different story, takeaways tend to add a lot more oil and the portions could be 2 to 3 times the size of "ready meal" packs.

Soups are very good BTW, there was a study done and it showed they kept you fuller way longer and made you less likely to be snacking. I used to keep cup a soups in work, must get some again now I think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sally fletcher

Hi all!

Well, I'm finally in the zone to go back on WW from tomorrow. Sooo, I want to do a shop this evening and stock up on the ole favourites.

So far my shopping list looks like -
    • fresh lemons
    • tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, onions, mushrooms, chillies
    • tins of tuna
    • pitta breads
    • extra light philadelphia
    • soleros (my fave!)
    • bananas, mandarins, pineapple chunks
    • chicken breast fillets
    • tayto snax
    • ww bread
    • red berries
    • low fat yogurts
    • meringue nests
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi,
    Good luck with it.
    I eat the weight watchers wholemeal bread, I'll have 2/3 slices at meal times thawhet I want bread or for sandwiches. It's got sufficient fibre and helps me control the amount of bread I eat by being small in size.

I would also suggest velvet crunch crisps. Not 100 miles away from tayto snax in texture, nice taste and only 1 point per bag, they are my saviour as I have to have a savoury snack like this daily and for one point it's pretty sweet.

Ps. How many points in a solero and is it any solero? I dont really eat sweet things but ice creams would be a nice treat.

Hi,

For a Solero the mini ones are either 1 or 1.5 points. And I think thre regular ones are 2 pts.

I'll double check when I go home tonight and let you know!

Mmmmm, solero :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Great job on starting!! Just a thought I have a couple of staples on my shopping list

Frozen vegetables: Handy if your in a rush and they even sell sliced peppers frozen in Dunnes. Not as nice as fresh but great for the evenings towards the end of the week.

Frozen Fish: fillets of cod and salmon. Great for the when you couldnt be arsed making anything much

I roast the frozen vegetables in tin oil at the same time oven cook the fish... the result is a pretty edibile no effort dinner in about 40mins or so with little to no washing up!

Thanks! Good idea. Actually when I was shopping yesterday, I picked up an old favourite from my prev WW days - it's a frozen fish dish, but it's lemon sole lightly dusted with herbs - and it's BEAUTIFUL. I think it's only 3-4 points a portion, and I used to LOVE it.

Am doing good so far.

Breakfast - Water with lemon, Tesco Healthy Living Cereal Bar (actually half of it, cos it was soooo disgusting, I threw the half in the bin) and a banana

Am on my 2nd litre bottle of water already and lunch will be soup and 2 slices of mccambridge bread with a scrape of butter.

the only spanner is someone just left a kinder egg in my office for me as a thanks for helping him out with something last week. Temptation!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Gram for gram, a lot of those cereal bars are no better than normal bars. I would rather half a bar I like than a full one that I don't. They are usually loaded with sugars so not great for breakfast. My new breakfast, is porridge oats, dessicated coconuts, some crushed pecans, and cold skim milk.

I have been reading that coconuts are really good for you, but they will score highly on the WW diet, as they are high in saturated fats, although it is supposed to be good saturated fat.

Give the egg to your kids/nephews etc. If it is the mini kinder just eat it, they are really light.

Lidl are great for frozen fish fillets, they have them uncoated for €9-12 depending on they type, and they have LOADS of types, ones I never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Cadbury's Chocolate Mini Rolls are a nice treat and they're only what, 1 or 2 points ??? Yummy !!! :D

Advertisement