Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interrailing suggestions?

• 30-03-2008 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Me and 3 other people have booked flights to stockholm in july and flights out of paris 3 weeks later. We're booking the interrail tickets soon , so I want to get on track with what we're doing..

Since we've no main route planned out we're open to suggestions , i.e best places,hot-spots etc.

Main places I want to go to:

Switzerland,Croatia and Sweden.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Hvar in Croatia seems to be a popular choice. I'm planning on heading there in June and most likely onto Dubrovnik from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Be aware that Dubrovnik has no trains. You'll have to get a bus from split (or somewhere else) down to it. If you're on the bus, you'll probably have to show your passports at some point as it dips in and out of Bosnia for a part of the journey.

Amazing place though, started our trip there last year. Had the inter-rail passes booked to start the day we were leaving Split so as not to lose valuable days!!

Oh, and to the OP. If you're going to croatia you might aswell do Slovenia too. Ljubljana and Lake Bled are only an hour apart and are both amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would be of the opinion that from Sweden all the way down to Croatia and back to Paris is far too much ground to cover in 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Staying north then? That rules out Italy I guess

Berlin is a great city, defo try to get there and do a few tours.

I also liked Lyon in France. It's fairly quiet, but a lovely lovely city. We stayed in a hostel which was at the top of a really steep hill. Can't remember what it's called, but it was in the Lonely Planet book. Nice place to stay, met good people and there was a gorgeous view of the city from the balcony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I would be of the opinion that from Sweden all the way down to Croatia and back to Paris is far too much ground to cover in 3 weeks

ye id have to agree too, just to get from sweden to croatia would involve going through a lot of countries that would be good to spend time in and then all the way back to paris! you'll be sittin on trains the whole time i think just to make it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blahh89

I can see how you'd think It would take so long to go from sweeden - crotia - france. , but travelling at night on the trains will save alot of time and anyways thats the joy of going interrailing , you can choose what you want to do when you are on the journey. If we seem to be taking too much time then we'll just have to cut some places out.

Anyways , Croatia seems to be very popular so hopefully we can make it there!

Anybody visted switzerland while interrailing? Really looking forward to that!

Yeah but have you ever tried to get a nights sleep on a train before? Last year we slept on trains twice and ended up spending the next day both times recovering from being awake all night the night before, so I certainly wouldn't want to sleep in a train every single night. It would also mean you don't get to spend long enough in each place.

For example last year we got an overnight train from Split to Budapest. Look at it on a map, doesn't look too far does it? Got on the train at 10pm, was just about 4pm when we got off it, and we were wrecked from the noise on the train all night.

We went from Amsterdam down to Croatia and back to Poland, and all said it was way too much to have done in 28 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mememememe

I'm doing exactly the same trip but in reverse - getting into Paris and flying out from Stockholm three weeks later in July. Our plan is to go Paris - Venice - Vienna - Berlin - Stockholm. Although I'm sure we'll throw in a few other places in on the way that are fairly close to the route. I think we'll be making quite alot of use of the night trains as well :confused: so I am hoping they are not too bad, luckily I sleep through pretty much anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I liked Krakow, Ljbulana, Munich, Berlin, Prague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

ur route sounds a bit ridiculous to be honest, u can forget about croatia unless u want too pay for extra flights.

u shud get the ferry to talinn or riga and work ur way down through latvia and lithuania and spend as much time as possible in krakow, then u could hit prague,berlin,cologne,amsterdam,brussels and get the thalys high speed train to paris from brussels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deem106

some really useful info there folks. my situation is, i fly into amsterdam on june 30th and out of dubrovnik on july 30th. we are planning to buy a 22 day ticket and spend 4 days in both our first and last destinations.
    my ideal route would be:
    amsterdam to berlin, then down to prague, across to paris, down to nice/cannes, then to venice, on to vienna and finally down to croatia.
    is this out of the question or is it feesable? greatful of any feedback, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

Hmmm, well that's seven cities (counting either Nice or Cannes) and then Croatia which I presume you are planning two stops there?
    So about nine stops in 22 days.
    22-2 days for flying leaves 20days.
    Which is two days for most cities and then three days for two lucky cities.
    And then not including travelling time when some trains will take up to ten hours and completely block out a day.

So I would definitely cut out a few to be honest, if you're going to stop off somewhere, make it worth your while. Most of those cities are great places and all worth at least three days each. You're better off trying to catch the rest on another trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hyperali

croatia is great although getting to dubrovnik does take a while considering the bus and all. i would visit mostar in bosnia if u can. u can bus it from dubrovnik if i remember correctly. i wasnt that excited bout going there and it turned out to be my favourite stop i really loved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

My favourite spots were Munich, Berlin and Krakow... Ljubljana was very nice but not very lively, if you feel like taking a day off the drink then go on an adventure trip to Bled or somewhere, we went rafting near Bled. Took a whole day but absolutely great craic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

M450 wrote: »
    My favourite spots were Munich, Berlin and Krakow... Ljubljana was very nice but not very lively, if you feel like taking a day off the drink then go on an adventure trip to Bled or somewhere, we went rafting near Bled. Took a whole day but absolutely great craic!!

Thank you, someone who recomends bled without me asking!! Will defo be goin there so. What kind of prices are the rafting trips? And was it a nice town to stay in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

We stayed in Ljubljana the whole time, it was cheap and we were exactly in the centre of the city(more of a town).

I believe the rafting trip was €50 each and 8 of us went, I dont think the price depended on the number of people going though. This included a bus from Ljubljana to Bled, we hung out there for a few hours and then carried on up the mountains to our starting point. Then rafted for about an hour and the bus met us at the end and took us back to Ljubljana.

We also hired a photographer who followed us in a kayak and took great action shots of us hitting boulders and all... that was €50 between us.

There should be advertisements in the hostel for it, or just ask at the reception.

Bled is amazing but I wouldnt like to stay there very long, you can only look at the scenery for so long, there's nothing to do there!

KERPAL wrote: »
    Thank you, someone who recomends bled without me asking!! Will defo be goin there so. What kind of prices are the rafting trips? And was it a nice town to stay in?
    I stayed in Bled in the George Best hostel, its really near the lake and only 5/10 mins walk from the town. There isn't much to do in the town other than a few bars and restaurants and one nightclub, but it was a great spot to chill out for 2/3 days

The guy working in the hostel ran a rafting company, think it was only around €30

Advertisement