Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I put in for my Test

Options
  • 30-03-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

My experience of learning to drive has been a very long and very rocky road (forgive the pun). Well after almost a year of lessons I am finally driving a little automatic micra. I have been driving to and from work for a week now and I have really gotten the hang of it.

I am considering putting in for my test now before I get any bad habits as I see the waiting time is about 14 weeks. So by 4 months of driving I should ace the automatic test but I am afraid that my test could come in earlier.

Should I wait a while before I put in for my test?? I really wanna pass my test before the new rules come into play in June.. O and without sounding rude, I know if I do my test in an auto I only have an auto licence, I dont care thats fine with me!!

And what exactly are you tested on?? :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would apply for the test and start your preparation now, i.e getting as much driving experience as possible and do pretests when you get the date for your test. It does seem odd doing it in an auto in Ireland, but each to their own i guess. I presume you have a provisional and not a learners permit? You should be more then ready considering you've already had a decent amount of driving experience.
    If it comes up "early" you can always defer it. Although i'd say just to go for it and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

im also a provisional licence driver and appled for my test nearly 2 months ago now and ive heard nothing still. defintily apply asap as its just april now new rules be in 2 months time..ya midnt even get your test before it..theres a long backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Claire_lou1983

Great thanks for the advice, yeah I reckon your right I should put in for the test now. Im driving an automatic cause I couldn't hack the manual and automatics are deadly so many more people are driving them now.. Anything for an easy life I say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

after almost a year of lessons ......

.........And what exactly are you tested on?? :)
    During the year of lessons, didn't your instructor inform you about the various requirements of the driving test? :confused:

Great thanks for the advice, yeah I reckon your right I should put in for the test now. Im driving an automatic cause I couldn't hack the manual and automatics are deadly so many more people are driving them now.. Anything for an easy life I say!!

Gears are only one small part of driving.
    I really doubt anyone couldn't hack figuring them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I applied for my test, after a month or two of getting my provisional, without having any lessons (cept from family members). Had to wait a couple of months to hear back, and then a couple of months to do the test.. all in all it took me 7 months.

I did 3 lessons before my test, and i hired the car to do it in. I only got one minor fault.

Im just saying all this, to illustrate that everyone is different, and its impossible for us to gauge without getting in a car with you. If youre confident in 4 months you will be fine, then go for it, and just knuckle down and pay attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

how many lessons have you done in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I would, in the strongest possible terms, suggest that you reexamine that particular decision.

Most Irish and European cars are Standard Transmission. You may do well with an automatic car now - but if you ever had to use another car either as a rental, courtesy car provided by your insurance in the event of an accident, needed borrow a friend/family car, needed to drive a car for someone else or a company, you would likely find yourself in a serious bind. You will also be seriously limited in your choice of cars for purchase. Furthermore, automatic transmission cars also get worse fuel-economy, so you'll be paying over the odds for what you get in terms of petrol/transport.

Once you commit yourself to obtaining an "auto-only" license by passing the test in an automatic car, it's irreversible.

But here, I feel is the most important point.
    I couldn't hack the manual
    Rubbish. It may look daunting, indeed, it does to many new drivers. But if you decide to learn it, managing gear changes will eventually become like walking or riding a bike.

I'll tell you what is was like for me. When I was learning to drive, I had decided I was going for an unrestricted full license. End of story.

But, I would at that time, have preferred to be driving an automatic car because I figured it would be a whole lot easier. But I decided that I would wait until I passed my test in a standard car before deciding which I would prefer.

Now, if anything, I prefer driving manual because it just feels natural. At very least, manual vs. automatic is an almost irrelevant distinction.

Drop the "I can't hack manual" thought because not only is it nonsense, it's counter-productive. At most it is, as they say, "all in your mind." You need to look very seriously at this.

SeanW wrote: »
    Once you commit yourself to obtaining an "auto-only" license by passing the test in an automatic car, it's irreversible
    There's no need to be so dramatic SeanW. There's nothing to stop the OP from doing a further test afterwards in a car with manual transmission should she wish to! ;)

Re rentals - rental cars with auto boxes are readily available. How do you think the Americans manage?

Re courtesy car - it is up to the insurance company to provide a car suitable for the claimant.

Re fuel economy - many modern autos have equal or even better fuel economy than their manual equivalents.

Many upmarket cars are only available with auto boxes.

In saying all that, I agree with you that an unrestricted licence is more desireable but it's not the end of the world. :)

I applied for my test, after a month or two of getting my provisional, without having any lessons (cept from family members). Had to wait a couple of months to hear back, and then a couple of months to do the test.. all in all it took me 7 months.

I did 3 lessons before my test, and i hired the car to do it in. I only got one minor fault.

Im just saying all this, to illustrate that everyone is different, and its impossible for us to gauge without getting in a car with you. If youre confident in 4 months you will be fine, then go for it, and just knuckle down and pay attention.

You were lucky that the family members who showed you the way were good drivers.
    I have only started getting good lessons in the last few weeks after two years of driving.
    I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen proper driving from the passanger seat. And that is including taxis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Claire_lou1983

During the year of lessons, didn't your instructor inform you about the various requirements of the driving test? :confused:

No he didnt he was useless, I wont name names but he was a D15 instructor and I blame him for how bad I was. I got maybe 10 with him and some with another company. Note to self - dont block book before trying someone out first. :rolleyes:

And SeanW chillax, I need a car to get me from A to B I am never gonna need to drive a manual. It is my decision and one that I am happy with so I do not intend to reexamine my decision but I appreciate your comment. And as was said, I do intend going back and getting a full unrestricted licence when I am 100% confident on the road. If it means that I am actually driving even an auto then so be it, I am just happy to be fending for myself for once.

Note to self - dont block book before trying someone out first
    Wise words indeed Claire!

Advertisement