Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Ahern's background

Options
2»

Comments

Does this mean that all an opposor has to do to force a change is dig up dirt and fling it at the incumbent?

That's not democracy.
    Irish people hate politicians

Never a truer word said.

Still, I like the system as it is, unless we go for an "all independent" non-party system, with wise elders from each locale.......

Not going to happen........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Does this mean that all an opposor has to do to force a change is dig up dirt and fling it at the incumbent?

No. That will only work if (a) there's dirt to be flung and (b) the incumbent refuses to explain thing in a consistent and believeable manner.

Bottom line is that if Bertie had come out with the details of this in November 2006, when McDowell asked him, today would probably never have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That's not democracy.
    But it is modern politics...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    No. That will only work if (a) there's dirt to be flung and (b) the incumbent refuses to explain thing in a consistent and believeable manner.

Bottom line is that if Bertie had come out with the details of this in November 2006, when McDowell asked him, today would probably never have happened.

Forgot about that. Bizarrely enough, this reflected badly on McDowell who ended up losing his seat to that gormless plonker from the Green Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

There were a lot of things about McDowell that we didn't like around here and that's why he got voted out.

I'd say Bertie will have strong local support for the rest of his time in the Dail - Drumcondra is a great part of the world with a village feel, less trucks becuase of the port tunnel, good house prices (if you're selling), innovations like cycle paths separate from the road, a great public transport system, good schools with no overcrowding, close to both The Mater & Beaumont, a university, plenty of park space... the list goes on.

He looked after those that looked after him, no doubt.

• Advertisement

edanto wrote: »
    There were a lot of things about McDowell that we didn't like around here and that's why he got voted out.

I'd say Bertie will have strong local support for the rest of his time in the Dail - Drumcondra is a great part of the world with a village feel, less trucks becuase of the port tunnel, good house prices (if you're selling), innovations like cycle paths separate from the road, a great public transport system, good schools with no overcrowding, close to both The Mater & Beaumont, a university, plenty of park space... the list goes on.

He looked after those that looked after him, no doubt.

It's in Dublin Central - what do you expect???

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

drumcondra got a lot more than its neighbouring constitutancys, wonder why.

He cant have been a very good accountant , he cant even account for all theat money he got.

juuge wrote: »
    He certainly didn’t study elocution. In school we were always taught to stand up straight, speak properly and distinctly and this would carry us through our careers.
    Bertie does non of this and he became taoiseach.
    Did you see him walking down the steps of the white house recently with his jacket two sizes too small for him and the buttons straining with the pressure of his manly belly. What a statesman, I was so proud to be Irish. Whatever about him being an accountant he is certainly not prime minister material. It’s a sad joke.

:D:D

Of all the rants I've read, and there have been a few, that's right up there with the funniest.

I'm so proud to be Irish when I hear of people judging ability by (i) how they hold their back and (ii) the belly.

Would you prefer a Sarkozy? Sure his got that whole issue with Africans and blacks and people who don't shake his hand and powerhosing out the poor and all that, but he wears such a lovely cut of suit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Sherifu wrote: »
    Cool, i'm an accountant and I never knew.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

But where did he 'study' English :rolleyes:

To be fair to him, he always kept us amused & entharalled with his unique 'mangling' of the English language, and his penchant for twisting & destroying well known sayings "I never condemn wrongdoing in any area" or "Ill take dat wit a pinch of sand" or maybe salt? to the more recent "Smoke & Daggers" instead of 'Smoke & Mirrors' or was dat meant to be 'Cloak & Mirrors' :)

Faults & all, he'll be missed.

• Advertisement

ArthurF wrote: »
    But where did he 'study' English :rolleyes:

To be fair to him, he always kept us amused & entharalled with his unique 'mangling' of the English language, and his penchant for twisting & destroying well known sayings "I never condemn wrongdoing in any area" or "Ill take dat wit a pinch of sand" or maybe salt? to the more recent "Smoke & Daggers" instead of 'Smoke & Mirrors' or was dat meant to be 'Cloak & Mirrors' :)

Faults & all, he'll be missed.

Cloak and dagger

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's my opinion that he owes the last election win to Today FM. No PR professional in the country could have fostered the image of the everyman for him as well as Mario Rosenstock's Gift Grub skits did.

Advertisement