Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam accommodation advice

Options
  • 30-03-2008 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for -as the title says- accommodation advice. Myself and three friends are looking for somewhere to stay in Dublin for three/four nights in May to complete exams. No problem you may say, there's plenty of accommodation in Dublin.

The thing is, as we're doing exams, we don't want to share rooms. We also don't want to spend an arm and a leg in the process.

Should we look to get rooms somewhere outside of the city centre and travel (by car) to the exam centre - at Aungier St. D2? Or should we just pay up, avoid traffic and walk to the centre? The exams are on a Mon, Tues and Wed.

Does anyone know of any reasonably priced accommodation that might suit us? Hotel, B&B, hostel - we don't mind once it's clean, quiet and not a rip-off!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Aungier St is a traffic nightmare, one of the worst areas in the city to drive to.
    And you'll be paying for parking everyday.

What I'd do is stay in the city centre within a 20 minute walk of the place.
    Besides if you are going to be studying all the time then it's nice to have a walk to the exam centre to relax. Driving to meet an exam deadline is just more stress.

Defo get your own room. I've done repeat exams :o and while I could have crashed at friends, I paid for a B&B and stayed on my own. Maybe anti-social but I didn't want distractions.

Afaik, you can get rooms on Gardiner St in D1 from around €60per night.
    There's a good hotel near Connelly St at the top of Talbot St that is €79 per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

....the hotel citibar is in on Dame St sometimes do reasonable midweek rates or the central hotel which would be very convenient for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

and 2 euro drinks on tuesdays!!!! so your sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I wouldn't stay in the Citi Hotel as it's got a niteclub till 3am and is very noisy. Try this hostel on Aungier St, I think it will suit your needs www.avalon-house.ie

If that doesn't suit try the Days hotel on Talbot St as a previous poster recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Thanks for replies. Will look into those places. Tried Avalon house but their single rooms are not available. e60-80 a night sounds good. Driving is definitely out so.

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »

Afaik, you can get rooms on Gardiner St in D1 from around €60per night.

Know the name of the place? Is it a hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

July wrote: »
    Know the name of the place? Is it a hotel?

More of a guesthouse. I don't have a name. If you walk along the street they have signs that show the rates. Loads of them

Ripley Court Hotel on Talbot St is €79 per night. There are better hotels around but's it's nice and good rate imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

There's a travelodge hotel in Rathmines (across the road from Tramco), it would be an easy stroll into Aungier Street from there. Cheap too - think rooms are around 60e.

http://www.travelodge.ie/hotel_locations/dublin_city_centre.474.1.10170.details.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

theres the bewleys in ballsbridge which i think is 100 per night as is the old jurys, d4hotels.com i think for the same price. They'll be uber quiet and you'l want a decent nights sleep so i wouldnt fret over paying a little extra for a bit of comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cuckoo wrote: »
    There's a travelodge hotel in Rathmines (across the road from Tramco), it would be an easy stroll into Aungier Street from there. Cheap too - think rooms are around 60e.

http://www.travelodge.ie/hotel_locations/dublin_city_centre.474.1.10170.details.html
    There is also Days hotel over Tramco, but I imagine you could do without the noise.

Avoid the city centre or you will only sleep 3am-7am at most.
    Ideo wrote: »
    theres the bewleys in ballsbridge which i think is 100 per night as is the old jurys, d4hotels.com i think for the same price. They'll be uber quiet and you'l want a decent nights sleep so i wouldnt fret over paying a little extra for a bit of comfort
    Not very accessible to Aungier Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

was up in Dublin recently for an exam myslelf and found this cute 3* hotel on 63/64 O'Connell Street, walking distance from buses esp Busarus and Luas tracks... and its called Lynams Hotel with a restaurant that'll set you up real nice for the day or two you're there or else pop next door to the Spar shop for supplies ... www.lynams-hotel.com. I was charged 65euros single room and continental breakfast was only 4.95euros and well worth it and set me up nicely for the day of the exam. They also held onto my luggage and laptop at reception until after my exam as i didnt wanna bring them with me...defo would go back if i've another exam up that way again

Kerry4Sam, thanks,
    I looked up that hotel but it was e99 per night for May.

I booked this hotel on bookassist.com for e75 single room b+b. I spoke to a receptionist and she said she will put us into quieter rooms at the back of the hotel.

I've looked on the map and it doesn't look too far to walk to Aungier Street - same side of the river anyway!

It has just dawned on me that I didn't look into parking and it doesn't mention it on their website. Will probably have to 'house' the car at a private carpark for three days. Anyone know of any secure parking nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You really need to consider the noise in that part of town at all hours of the night.

The hotel may have an arrangement with the Temple Bar car park on Fleet Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

July wrote: »
    Kerry4Sam, thanks,
    I looked up that hotel but it was e99 per night for May.

I booked this hotel on bookassist.com for e75 single room b+b. I spoke to a receptionist and she said she will put us into quieter rooms at the back of the hotel.

I've looked on the map and it doesn't look too far to walk to Aungier Street - same side of the river anyway!

It has just dawned on me that I didn't look into parking and it doesn't mention it on their website. Will probably have to 'house' the car at a private carpark for three days. Anyone know of any secure parking nearby?

no bother July...hope the exams go well for you :) funny you say "same side of the river" as years ago when i was up there i asked a guard for directions and that's all he could tell me "... you're on the right side of the Liffey anyways!" :D

Advertisement