Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

can i get an opinion please ?

Options
  • 30-03-2008 6:35pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭

the ould megane is being put out to pasture , bits are failing left right and center.the thing is costing me on average €200 each month since december
    been looking on line and found this :

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Hilux/D4D-3.0L/982530/

which would suit me fine and dandy for work.
    with a 5k deposit and the rest from the bank this will cost me around €300 per month over 5 years .
    i will use the space in the back and a lot of my work takes me on the worst roads in cork.

the price seems about right or am i missing something ?
    and these buses seem to be rock solid , which will be a whole new experience from the renault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

be aware that that's a Japanese domestic market model (Jap Import)
    Parts may be harder to source given that it's different to European 2.5 models.

Hilux's don't exactly handle well either, and that one's automatic (I'm guessing 3 gears + overdrive) so fuel consumption will be a lot more than on the Megane.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

so would i be better off getting a domestic 2.5 model ?

is the hilux a sound idea ? or there something else similar with a crew cab like the mitsubishi a better buy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Hard to reccomend the hilux really cos its an auto,Would absolutely drink fuel and would be dog rough.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/Terracan/LWB-Commercial/955346/

I think these things are alright and are good value for the money.Would probably be more economical than the hilux and it has a massive load bay.Well able to handle off road as well

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=962237

These are alright too.Hilux's are often overpriced IMO

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Hilux/2.5-D/260533/

If you must this one might be a better bet cos its a manual and has the 2.5 engine

its really the double cab thats pushing me towards the hilux / l200 route.

the 2.5 Hilux is quite underpowered at 88bhp, the 3.0 in that should be at least 150bhp (could even be 163).

Of the pickups out there the Hilux is the best, do you actually need a pickup though? a jeep is more practical, spacious and nicer to drive.

@ Volvoboy, Pajero Sport is very havy on fuel, and the 2.5 is a dog to drive. and Terracan is horrible on every level, and are troublesome.

• Advertisement

i agree i could get away with an suv but again , the commercial tax is mighty tempting.
    combined with the double cab and it seems too sweet so i'm wondering if i'm missing something.

It's not crazy cheap, you can pick up (pardon the pun) a 2006 new shape for €26k

It's a 5 year old machine.

unfortunately id love to but even at 20k i'm stretched.

can i enquire how come the navara is so much cheaper ? again sorry just a little paranoid. havent changed car in 5 years and would rather not get burned again.

just figured out why the navara is so cheap

from honestjohn.co.uk
    "Reports of catastrophic engine damage, each vehicle requiring a new engine at a
    cost of £7,000 each. The damage has occurred between 98,000 and 120,000 miles. All vehicles have been serviced by (various) Nissan dealers to the Nissan service schedule. One large Nissan dealer said "we get two a month".

The example of an 06 for €26k shows you that this 03 for €20k isn't exactly a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the 2.5 Hilux is quite underpowered at 88bhp, the 3.0 in that should be at least 150bhp (could even be 163).

Of the pickups out there the Hilux is the best, do you actually need a pickup though? a jeep is more practical, spacious and nicer to drive.

@ Volvoboy, Pajero Sport is very havy on fuel, and the 2.5 is a dog to drive. and Terracan is horrible on every level, and are troublesome.

I'm not volvoboy btw.I had that lenny avator first i might ad.I'm really more of a VAG-boy if anything tbh:D

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I'm not volvoboy btw.I had that lenny avator first i might ad.I'm really more of a VAG-boy if anything tbh:D

Apologies! you look just like him!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tbh i dont know very much about these.
    i guess my real question is :
    what should i be looking for when buying a hilux ?
    is the jap one very much more expensive in parts?

Advertisement