Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Thats not the point though...

I dont care if they have done nothing wrong, point is other providers can give me ( Irish Broadband, Smart ) no limit...

If BT cant match that, then Smart can have my money...

Then to smart you will be going I am afraid!

And remember, Smart also have a fair use policy...
    Im with Bt at the moment and I am a medium user 60gb to 100gb a month.

If they throttle me, I will tell them to give me no limit or switch me to business broadband, if they dont I will leave asap..

Others should do the same, which will make them release a package with no limit or one with a decent limit like 100gb...

60 to 100 gb a medium user??????

95% of BT customers usage never reach 30 gb... how does it make you medium??

Anyway interesting to know...

Not very "Smart" demanding anything. They will not give you such thing, you are in no point to make any demands.. you get what you signed for...

Put it this way, this is like if you´d get a speed ticket because you were doing 160 km/h on a highway, then you go to the police and demand them to raise it to 200 km/h or you will move to a different country....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Do U honestly think they'll miss You? Look at it from their point of view. They have a low percentage of customers using a high percentage of the bandwidth. They'd gladly loose a few customers to make the service better for others. Would Smart be any different? All ISP's have a fair usage policy, call it a "get out clause" if you want

They've not throttled anyone before 100Gb, just make 100Gb your monthly limit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Bohrio wrote: »
    Then to smart you will be going I am afraid!

And remember, Smart also have a fair use policy...

60 to 100 gb a medium user??????

95% of BT customers usage never reach 30 gb... how does it make you medium??

Anyway interesting to know...

Not very "Smart" demanding anything. They will not give you such thing, you are in no point to make any demands.. you get what you signed for...

Put it this way, this is like if you´d get a speed ticket because you were doing 160 km/h on a highway, then you go to the police and demand them to raise it to 200 km/h or you will move to a different country....

Smart will let me go 300km/h :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Smart will let me go 300km/h :D

hehe, but, for how long!! At least you see the point! :)

and 300 its too fast, you'll crash lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

hehe, but, for how long!! At least you see the point! :)

and 300 its too fast, you'll crash lol

BT will no doubt issue us all with free airbags when they increase the speed limit. It will be a sudden stop then when they close the throttle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Thats not the point though...

I dont care if they have done nothing wrong, point is other providers can give me ( Irish Broadband, Smart ) no limit...

If BT cant match that, then Smart can have my money...

If they throttle me, I will tell them to give me no limit or switch me to business broadband, if they dont I will leave asap..

Others should do the same, which will make them release a package with no limit or one with a decent limit like 100gb...

I dont think you quite understand the point.

They want you gone. Its not financially viable to keep you on.
    They are not your best buddies, and the unlimited service is not a right, they are a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm still not buying that they want you gone, it doesn't make sense. It would be far more sensible to warn you and potentially keep you on, less bad press, less annoyed customers and less lost customers

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

Cabaal wrote: »
    ah yes the do actually, based on the current business model that ISP's use it costs an ISP more to keep a very heavy user (lets say using 100GB's a month) then they make from the user a month, so getting rid of the users and/or limiting is actually better for there bottom line

ok they want you gone but do they waive any penalty charges if your contract has not expired ????? thats the burning question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i used to have esat BB but i got rid of it as my new provide ( irishbroad band ) gives a slitly cheaper , faster net connection with no limits so yay now i can download all the anti-french data i like...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

if you are still under contract then they will keep you throttled and if you decide to leave make you pay the cancellation fee...

Remember this is not a fault they couldnt fix...

They are well within there rights to charge a cancel fee if your in contract, at the end of the day this isn't a "fault" as you put it, the user is simply using the service outside of the agreed terms,.

If you want a normal service then remain within the previously agreed terms (stay under your cap)

I can tell you for a fact that 60-100GB a month is far from medium, the average user at a push uses 10GB a month, I can tell you this from experience.

If you have a registered business then they'll be more then happy to move you to a business package...if you also pay any price difference, if you think others are better then why didn't you go with the others to start with.

Surely you planned things badly when you choose a package with a company that has caps when you knew you'd go over the cap

axton1 wrote: »
    ok they want you gone but do they waive any penalty charges if your contract has not expired ????? thats the burning question.

If they were terminating your account for high usage I'm sure they would, however they are instead limiting your speed....there still providing a service but there providing it within there terms to which you've been breaking.

If you choose to leave they can still charge a cancel fee if your in contract because its not them terminating the account,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

S.I.R wrote: »
    i used to have esat BB but i got rid of it as my new provide ( irishbroad band ) gives a slitly cheaper , faster net connection with no limits so yay now i can download all the anti-french data i like...

You better hope that all the people in this thread don't also move to IBB, if they do it will only be a matter of time before IBB introduce throttling/caps as it'll cause problems with there business model just as it did to BT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

axton1 wrote: »

They will want yee all gone so they would probably waive all penalty charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

this thread is quickly becoming cyclical

its basically just:

moan about BT and their cap > read the T&C you got what you deserved > Heres a reason why BT is wrong > Heres a reason why you are wrong... rinse repeat.

Can we keep this thread to discussion about who is still throttled, contact with BT on the matter, ACTUAL reasons for the throttling (all this "they want you gone" conjecture is ridiculous with no proof whatsoever) and alternatives to BT's service.

Like myself, most of the other users here went with BT after doing the research and finding that BT where not throttling/charging people for going over their cap. I've been back and forth between Eircom and BT breaking my cap every month for the past 10 years without incident. I admit i've broken the T&C, yes, we can stop flogging that dead horse now, but my point is that it was a clause that was previously not enforced.

To massacre another driving analogy, its like in germany, the autobahn has a recommended speed of 130km/h, now the average user bought themselves a golf to stay around this speed, whereas myself and the other users here bought themselves ferraris to exceed the recommended speed as it was not being enforced. What if one day the german government, without warning whatsoever, started pulling over drivers for exceeding 130km/h, there'd be outrage. This is the crux of the matter here, had BT included a letter with my last bill warning me that they would be enforcing their cap from now on I would not of broken it.

BT have just, out of the blue, started capping people without so much as a whisper, and also I think BT knows a big word of mouth selling point of its packages is that people know they don't enforce their cap. I'll be recommending people otherwise from now on. I deal with a lot of people who are evaluating their home broadband and I usually would recommend BT. But after this i'll be advising them to fully read BT's T&C and be aware that they are now enforcing it.

It's like Noel Dempsey and the provisional drivers last year. People on third provisionals all panicked even though it was against the law for them to drive unaccompanied all along. In the end though Dempsey has given people good warning, unlike BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Then give them a call and move to another provider by all means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 _FRANK_

my throttling has stopped anyone else?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Nope. Still throttled.

But my stats page is now telling me that at my current level of usage I'll go over my download limit in x number of days. I guess they forgot to update it to reflect this new policy of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Cabaal wrote: »

Surely you planned things badly when you choose a package with a company that has caps when you knew you'd go over the cap

When I joined over a year ago, the were not enforcing any cap, I was told so by BT themselves...

I am moving to Business now...

Dear €€€

Many Thanks for your enquiry.

Unfortunately we cannot provide a unlimited gb allowance this is mainly for quality reasons.

I would advise you to contact BT Business on 1800924924 & they might have a product that is suitable.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again with any further queries at email: residentalsales@btireland.ie or Free phone: 1800-923-923.

Kind regards
    Residential Sales Department

BT | Grand Canal Plaza | Upper Grand Canal Street | Dublin 4 |Ireland

When I joined over a year ago, the were not enforcing any cap, I was told so by BT themselves...

I am moving to Business now...

It was still in the agreement none the less, anyway good luck with the business order :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm still throttled today, tried on 5 occassions to get through to BT internet support on the phone, after being on hold for half an hour I selected that call back thingy, they rang back while I was on lunch so I rang them back immediately and could not get through all afternoon.
    Rang UTV internet, similar prices but I don't understand their fair usage policy
    "Excessive use shall be deemed to equal 25Mb of external bandwidth usage in a given day, 100Mb in a given week and 250Mb in any given month"
    Should this have read 25gig a day, 100gig a week, 250gig a month?
    Forgot to ask when I was talking to them.
    When I get through to BT, it will be unthrottle me please, if no then I'll put my notice in writing and move to UTV.
    Interestingly my stats page is working again, and according to it I'm an average of 40gig a month downloaded so I have to assume that I was 100gig+ although the more I think of it I find it very hard to believe as I don't recall any major downloading recently!!
    Anyhow, anyone any feedback on the UTV limits??

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did anyone who has been throttled, and contacted BT, question them on their decision to throttle you at all? BT are in breech of their own terms by doing this, as it clearly states here:

If you exceed either the upload or download limit BT reserve the right to charge you for the transfer of any additional data (at 1 cent per MB including VAT) and also the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your Internet connection.

No mention of restricting the service's speed, only suspending or disconnecting. They also have an obligation to provide a minimum speed of speed/contention. So, for 3M at 24:1, the minimum should be 125kbps. If you've been cut below this then they're breaking the terms again.

Just some info for anyone who'd like to leave BT but are still withing there contract, this might help. They may waive any fees anyway, if you're already costing them money.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

jor el wrote: »
    Did anyone who has been throttled, and contacted BT, question them on their decision to throttle you at all? BT are in breech of their own terms by doing this, as it clearly states here:

If you exceed either the upload or download limit BT reserve the right to charge you for the transfer of any additional data (at 1 cent per MB including VAT) and also the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your Internet connection.

I'd say most people would rather not antagonise them since the alternative to throttling (charging us or cutting us off before we've found another provider) isn't exactly palatable.

I'm sure there's also some mention in their T&Cs of them reserving the right to take any action necessary to preserve the quality of their service. They can simply argue that our constant downloading is damaging their ability to provide a decent service to other customers.

I think they're pretty much covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭SeanW

Has any "light" cap breaker been charged/throttled/disconnected yet? By that I mean breaking the cap by <10GB.

SeanW wrote: »
    Has any "light" cap breaker been charged/throttled/disconnected yet? By that I mean breaking the cap by <10GB.

30gb would seem to be the cap, break it and you risk throttling. Provided you only use the service for the last five days of every month you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

jor el wrote: »

No mention of restricting the service's speed, only suspending or disconnecting. They also have an obligation to provide a minimum speed of speed/contention. So, for 3M at 24:1, the minimum should be 125kbps. If you've been cut below this then they're breaking the terms again.

Just some info for anyone who'd like to leave BT but are still withing there contract, this might help. They may waive any fees anyway, if you're already costing them money.

some people used around 100 gig

now considering they can charge 1c per meg, thats €10 per gig.

would you prefer them to realise their mistake and start charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

SeanW wrote: »
    I went over by like 5GB and nothing seemed to happen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Ok well it seems that for all the people who have had an unlimited service for many years with BT, be grateful you got it for so long. But sadly the gravy train has run out of steam.

For those who went over their cap by 190gb and are annoyed about being thottled, maybe you've learned a lesson. Maybe not. The point being that you could have had a nice bill for 1900euro (if they are charging 1c per mb - it could be 4c which is 7600euro) instead,you'd have no grounds to contest and thats the bottom line.

I guess this is like the warning shot being fired over your head. Get your downloads under control ie. dont download ever bloody thing you see on a torrent site and be more selective and considerate. If you're a gamer the amount you use is negligible in comparison to downloading HD madness 24/7.

Moreover if all(or even a 1/3)of you fun loving download monsters move to the same provider it wont be long till your new ISP has an issue with the excessive amount you download.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Is everyone in the broadband forums going to come in here to give us a lecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Just other BT users...I'd suspect. People downloading at 300kbps+ 24/7 = contention issues for others. Its that simple. Lecture over.

• Advertisement

briantwin wrote: »
    Just other BT users...I'd suspect. People downloading at 300kbps+ 24/7 = contention issues for others. Its that simple. Lecture over.

I have always been puzzled by the contention ratio. Just how much bandwidth am I contending for on a 24/1 connection. I find it odd that I can always get the top speed from certain websites at any time of the day. Does that mean that the other 23 users are not using their connection at all or do BT give my downloads priority?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement