Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Couldn't have said it better myself.

So if you are all going to patronise the rest of us, what exciting applications are you using the Internet for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

ardmacha wrote: »
    So if you are all going to patronise the rest of us, what exciting applications are you using the Internet for?

Xbox live 6 giga films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

slave1 wrote: »
    Any back-up for this "unlimited" limited, could not find same on the UTV website, plus I assume you meant 120BG peak, also what hours are peak and what are off-peak
    Still throttled today

I'd always quote data size in Bytes, so yes 120GB (as opposed to 120Gb, which wouldn't be that good), though it doesn't actually state numbers on the site any more. It used to specifically state it was 120GB peak (6PM-11PM and pretty much all day long at weekends, or 9AM-11PM anyway), and then no specific limit at off peak times, though I'd reckon there is some unmentioned limit there too. Now that there is no specific numbers mentioned though, it could be less than 120G that they start to penalise you. Could be more too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

vibe666 wrote: »
    all these people harping on about how 3mbps with a 30gb cap is more than enough should all be put back on dial up because they obviously have no idea about the many uses for the internet other than checking their email and reading the RTE news website.

That is the biggest load of bollocks I have seen yet in this thread of mostly bollocks. The internet is not a race to see who can download the most. A faster net connection is faster at doing anything - who said you *have* to download more just because you can?

For the majority of subscribers 30GB is more than enough for the time being. People who download more are clearly the minority, shown by fact there's only around 5 people out of how many subscribers complaining here and the unwillingness of most ISPs to offer "unlimited" packages in this country (if there was an obvious market for them, there would be more).

When speeds go up and downloading the likes of HD films becomes more commonplace, low caps like that are going to be a lot less acceptable.
    just because YOU don't want to move forward into the 21st century the rest of us who do want to do bigger and better things with our internet connections shouldn't have to suffer and lag behind the rest of the world just because some of the broadband users in Ireland don't know what to do with what they have, never mind knowing what they could do if it was better.

Again, complete gibberish. Poor broadband availability in Ireland is due to decades of neglect of the telecomms infrastructure in this country by Eircom and its predecessors, the government, etc. 100Mbps household broadband is available in countries e.g. Japan because they have decent infrastructure and FTTH since 1999 - not because the country is full of rampant downloaders. And in all fairness a lot of countries, like Australia and the UK are not really much better off than us at all regarding this stuff.

Get a clue, please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

That is the biggest load of bollocks I have seen yet in this thread of mostly bollocks. The internet is not a race to see who can download the most. A faster net connection is faster at doing anything - who said you *have* to download more just because you can?

For the majority of subscribers 30GB is more than enough for the time being. People who download more are clearly the minority, shown by fact there's only around 5 people out of how many subscribers complaining here and the unwillingness of most ISPs to offer "unlimited" packages in this country (if there was an obvious market for them, there would be more).

Few word Majority.Those of ous that like the finer things in life like matrix 1080p would gladly accept a package from bt that would allow ous to download 120gb a month for an extra 15 euro a month.We complain because they wont offer it to ous.I love nothing more than going to work in the morning and coming home to a triolgy of films in hd on xbox live marketplace all ready for me..

No Market for unlimited package, whole of Ireland is using rapidshare lol

Again, complete gibberish. And in all fairness a lot of countries, like Australia and the UK are not really much better off than us at all regarding this stuff.

Get a clue, please.

Adsl 2 with speeds of 24mb is available in alot of parts of England.OZ is huge but that has adsl 2 in all the big cities, guys in romania are getting 24mb with no cap for 18 euro a month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

we'll i've been unthrottled for 2 days and i've already gone over my cap again :rolleyes:

feels great to be back in the race to see who can download the most ;)

Tony Broke wrote: »
    No Market for unlimited package, whole of Ireland is using rapidshare lol
    Highly dubious. I bet less than 10% of broadband users even know what Rapidshare even is. Don't see what's so great about it TBH - or do people actually pay money for subscriptions? Nuts to that...
    Adsl 2 with speeds of 24mb is available in alot of parts of England.OZ is huge but that has adsl 2 in all the big cities, guys in romania are getting 24mb with no cap for 18 euro a month

Most of the UK is still apparently limited to 8Mb/s from what I can see - OK it's better than what most of us can get but not much of a major improvement. Fast broadband in Romania seems to be only available from FTTH or cable broadband (from UPC lol) - two things we are definately lacking in, and proof that this country is a joke regarding infrastructure.

However you do have to take into account the much lower population density of this country compared to the others mentioned here (well except Australia of course - but once you go out of the cities you have the same problems as here, pair gain lines and all), which makes it fundamentally harder and less worthwhile to get broadband to everyone, especially when relying on copper phone lines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

still throttled, rang UTV to ask what their "unlimited" cap is and was told that they start ringing customers at the 100gig mark and that a constant 80-100gig a month would be considered too much, does not fill me full of confidence for moving.....
    Question for those BT business customers, have you asked what the "unlimited" cap is? and secondly is the €40/month inclusive of VAT
    why are Smart not available here :(

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I agree with most things! We do need better services, but better speeds doesnt mean higher caps!

As it has been said, for example, 95% of BT customers never reach their cap, which, shows, that most people are ok with what they have.
    Tony Broke wrote: »

That its true, BT UK offers 24 mb on certain areas, and BT ireland will do soon too, as Eircom and Smart. And UPC will be releasing 60 mb and soon after 160mb... so patience!

About 2 years ago BT UK introduced ADSL MAX, and that's just Britain, NI didnt see that happening until a year ago (more or less).

I mean, Ireland network is not the best, but compare to the rest of Europe is not the worst ether. In Spain for ex, telefonica have just introduced 10 mb ADSL, an average user wont connect at more than 3 mb.

• Advertisement

Bohrio wrote: »
    I agree with most things! We do need better services, but better speeds doesnt mean higher caps!

As it has been said, for example, 95% of BT customers never reach their cap, which, shows, that most people are ok with what they have.

How can the small minority of 5% have such a big effect on the other 95% I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Blindpew wrote: »
    How can the small minority of 5% have such a big effect on the other 95% I wonder?

Obvious answer really, Most of that 5 percent are downloading multiples of their download limit, which means that that 5% could be downloading 30% or so of the overall bandwidth. Bandwidth costs money and as a company BT is there to make money not loose money.

Just my personal opinion but I think that BT will probably go back to not throttling downloaders soon enough, other ISP's that generally don't charge have done similar things before. It's mostly just to put the fear of God into you.

Oh but its not even 5%, I would say around 1%...

In fact, the top 100 abusers use aprox 35% of the total bandwidth.. and we are talking of about 99.900 customers....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Vote with your feet people! I personally wouldn't take being "throttled" :) There are plenty of good isp's still out there ;)

Praetorian wrote: »
    There are plenty of good isp's still out there ;)

pray do tell of these providers that offer a service thats widely available, has a consistant service, has no traffic shaping and has no cap?

Oh but its not even 5%, I would say around 1%...

In fact, the top 100 abusers use aprox 35% of the total bandwidth.. and we are talking of about 99.900 customers....

On a 3mb download connection running 24/7 it would be hard enough to use 300gb of bandwidth in a month. So taking 300 as the average that's 30,000 gb a month for 100 users. If this is 35% of all the bandwidth that means they can only provide 90,000 gb for 100,000 customers which is less than a gb a month per user. Surely BT wouldn't oversell a product without the ability to supply the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

L31mr0d wrote: »
    pray do tell of these providers that offer a service thats widely available, has a consistant service, has no traffic shaping and has no cap?

I'm with magnet and they seem to be fantastic. Eircom don't traffic shape or throttle or impose silly small caps (not enforced anyway). Smart are good if you are lucky enough to be near one of their exchanges.

On a 3mb download connection running 24/7 it would be hard enough to use 300gb of bandwidth in a month. So taking 300 as the average that's 30,000 gb a month for 100 users. If this is 35% of all the bandwidth that means they can only provide 90,000 gb for 100,000 customers which is less than a gb a month per user. Surely BT wouldn't oversell a product without the ability to supply the service.

The thruth its that of those 100 customers more then half have a usage of more than 500 gb.

Anyway look at it this way

lets say that the top 200 abusers use a total of aprox 50 000 GB

The rest of their customers on a average of 6 gb (its actually less) will use a total of 540 000

Now that means that with the 50 000 gb that those 200 customers are using BT could be providing service to aprox 9000 regular customers.

The thruth its that of those 100 customers more then half have a usage of more than 500 gb.

Anyway look at it this way

lets say that the top 200 abusers use a total of aprox 50 000 GB

The rest of their customers on a average of 6 gb (its actually less) will use a total of 540 000

Now that means that with the 50 000 gb that those 200 customers are using BT could be providing service to aprox 9000 regular customers.

But originally you said that the top 100 users were using 35% of all the available bandwidth but now you say 200 users are using 10%. Thats a big drop in two posts.

But originally you said that the top 100 users were using 35% of all the available bandwidth but now you say 200 users are using 10%. Thats a big drop in two posts.

bohrio doesn't know what he's talking about, he's making up figures without providing any hard data. I've been pretty much ignoring any of his calculations because he is not detailing where he is getting this info and why it seems to change conveniently to support his arguments.

I've been getting the same thing from various different BT support employee's who keep making up figures as to what the average download amount is per month. Some tell me that more than 100GB p/month is excessive so I should move over to a business line, whereas others tell you theres no cap enforced on the residential lines and that 500GB+ p/month is common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

unthrottled yesterday, though not completely.. ~175kb max download speed (usually a constant 315kb)

didnt think I went that far over the cap... must see if I can dig up the account name (its provided by work, so its nothing obvious :( )

It's all very strange, I havn't been given any warning either by phone or e-mail about overuse, yet I'm still throttled. They havn't entered the threat of throttling into the T&Cs yet and there's no mention of it on their web site.
    I have a feeling that this incident will pass and it will be business as usual soon enough. The No Limits scare passed as did the great cut off of Feb 2006, so hopefully this will pass as well.

It's all very strange, I havn't been given any warning either by phone or e-mail about overuse, yet I'm still throttled. They havn't entered the threat of throttling into the T&Cs yet and there's no mention of it on their web site.
    I have a feeling that this incident will pass and it will be business as usual soon enough. The No Limits scare passed as did the great cut off of Feb 2006, so hopefully this will pass as well.

I still hold that there is something else going on with BT and Eircom. Over the past few weeks most of the people i've talked to have been experiencing intermittant down time, disconnections, poor service... etc.

Myself it seems BT are completely disconnecting me during peak hours between 5pm and 10pm. For the last week my internet will go down at 5, stay down and then come up like clockwork at 10pm. As its happening everyday and at the same times it has to be caused by BT. I've rang them and they refuse to admit anything, they make up some excuse about it being an issue between the line connecting my house to the exchange (haven't heard that one before :rolleyes::mad:)

What's odd is that 4/5 of my downloading is down during offpeak hours (it says so in my usuage page) so I can't understand why its happening, or why BT are being so cloak and dagger about it.

There's just a lot about this whole thing that doesn't add up.

Maybe they're just working on the lines to take the capacity when they give us more speed. I doubt that the throttling will be a permanent feature. My connection has been steady for the last two weeks, no cut off's and constant 15kb download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

just because YOU don't want to move forward into the 21st century the rest of us who do want to do bigger and better things with our internet connections shouldn't have to suffer and lag behind the rest of the world just because some of the broadband users in Ireland don't know what to do with what they have, never mind knowing what they could do if it was better.

Maybe one day you'll catch up with the rest of us.
    Auvers wrote: »
    well said Vibe

FFS , typical trench coat wearing goatee stroking internet supremacy. "I own the internet because i live there now!"

You run torrents all day and compare hard drive capacity with your friends, that does not entitle you to d*ck. If you need to download movies download them in DivX and occasionally download a HD flick. Thats fair usage. I do it myself. But to think that you have the right to download whatever you want to because YOU WANT is the attitude of a child! There are rules for a reason and i guarantee they are not there to hinder your inevitable evolution into supreme internet based beings, they are there so everyone will have a *satisfactory yet capped service.

*Satisfactory for 95% of users!!

They should maybe introduce a system where if you download between 6 and 11pm you are charged a euro an hour for it, people under the cap could download for free. From 11pm to 6pm you should be able to use your connection as you see fit. That would be a fair usage policy I think.

Even just throttling heavy users at peak times would probably solve most of the problem. That's what ISPs like BT in the UK seem to do on their "unlimited" services. I usually only download stuff overnight so it doesn't affect browsing, playing games and stuff when poeple at home are awake. The way I set scheduling on uTorrent also pretty much forces me to go to bed at 1am, which I guess is a good thing...

Well I myself sleep beside the pc in the sitting room. It easier to keep an eye on new torrent postings that way and I don't wake the wife every two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Well I myself sleep beside the pc in the sitting room. It easier to keep an eye on new torrent postings that way and I don't wake the wife every two hours.

lmao

Irish Broadband ftw, know a guy that has been downloading 150gb a month for over a year with them...They have no cap and when they say no cap, they mean it..

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    lmao

Irish Broadband ftw, know a guy that has been downloading 150gb a month for over a year with them...They have no cap and when they say no cap, they mean it..

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products.php

This is from IBB Terms and Conditions

1.1 “Acceptable Usage Policy” means the policy specifying actions deemed unacceptable usage under this Agreement, published on http://www.irishbroadband.ie/ (the “Website”) as may be amended extended or replaced by Irish Broadband from time to time and which is hereby incorporated into this Agreement by reference;

and here there is more...

1.4 As excessive use by individual customers may adversely impact the performance of other users on the network, Irish Broadband reserves the right to restrict the bandwidth of customers who use network resources far more heavily than the average user.
    1.4.1 Uploads:
    The service provided is for personal use only and not to deliver a Commercial Service. Commercial Service shall include any form of web hosting, hosting of a download server of any nature or hosting of an email server, whether provided for financial gain or not.
    1.4.2 Downloads:
    The user shall be entitled to use the Service to download material from the Internet onto their computer/s and shall be entitled to all reasonable access for this purpose. However the user acknowledges that the Service is a shared service and that all users are entitled to a reasonable quality of service, and agrees that their usage will be reasonable and undertakes not to do anything that may prevent other users from having reasonable access to their service.
    Reasonable access may be determined by using criteria such as, but not limited to, the daily duration for which the user downloads material for a continuous period of time, the amount of data downloaded where the average use by the user exceeds the normal average use for all customers by more than a factor of 5, the length of time that the user downloads continuously over any period of time, and such other reasonable criteria as Irish Broadband may develop.
    Irish Broadband may take such measures as it deems necessary, including termination of service, restricting line capacity during periods when other users may experience unsatisfactory service due to the actions of the user or bundling the connection of the user with other similar profiled users so that they will not interfere with the normal user. Should Irish Broadband take such action and the user deems themselves as having been unfairly treated, the user may lodge an appeal and show the files downloaded over any period of time and why these would be for personal use or deemed reasonable.

there is plenty more to read there... actually its very impressive... it seems to never end!

Suit yourself http://www.irishbroadband.ie/documents/Acceptable%20Use%20Policy%20amended%20280308.pdf

But, please, dont let this stop you from moving...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement