Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

^^^^^^ So?

They dont seem to enforce it..

Im with bt business now, thanks..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and congratulations on your 1,000th post sqaull:pac:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^ So?

They dont seem to enforce it..

Im with bt business now, thanks..

Neither did BT... until now. So dont go around giving the wrong advice please, what if someone signs up for it and then gets throttled or even worst.

BT business... It normally takes longer than 4 days I believe... and I think you have to be over 18 to sign up for one... but good for you, by the way... they also have acceptable usage policy, just to let you know.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

lol nice dig Prowler

Its say Unlimited buddy, I know it has fair usage ( dont they all ) but you have to think they wont be throttling you if dont go mad eg 200gb plus a month..

Transfering to BT business was quite easy, still paying by direct debit from my account and just needed a business name and a few other details.They said I was transfered, better ring them again to check lol, dont want to get throttled :p

ThanKS Slave, heres to a thousand more :D

unthrottled at last, suppose we just need to sit and see whether it was a once off or whether it was 100gig in March, 90gig in April, 80 May etc etc, suppose time will tell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

They still have me throttled. They are are choking me for every last megabyte. They know no mercy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

For those of us who are still throttled, I rang up bt during the week to try and talk my way out of being throttled or even get a date of when I will be back up and running.

The chap said the system was automated so he could not do anything about it but felt sympathy for my situation and explained how it works. Sorry if someone already posted this but here it is anyway.

The people who were throttled have now been flagged as heavy users. Their usage is not going to run with the calendar month as in the past but on your previous 30 days. Therefore as I was throttled on the 28th of march and was downloading on average of 7 gigs per day, he said calculate it from that and your usage will drop below the 30 gig cap around the 23/24 april.

therefore in any 30 day period you can only d/l 30 gig.
    Now the chap also said there is a margin of about 30 gig until you get throttled again. So the limit has unoffically doubled. kinda. However the sytem only does checks at a certain time of the day. He said between 8-10 in the mornings. So if you were just on the 60 gig limit at that time and spent the following 24 hrs downloading at full capacity you could probably only d/l 100 gig in total but would be throttled for around 30 days there after.

He also said the usage meter is only a guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've been on a 15Gb rolling cap before with lastmile and have to say its very unfair. Once your throttled, you gotta wait ages for your average to drop to be unthrottled. Unfair system IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah they definitely are purposely killing my connection. Like clockwork it just goes down at around 4pm and then comes up around 10pm.

I wonder if they are just trying various different methods to see which is most successful at lowering the overall bandwidth used. Or maybe they just kill my connection so at peak time I don't affect anyone elses line.

I find this odd though as 80% of my downloading is done during offpeak hours.

Also its been a week and I still haven't been moved over to my business line yet, even though I was supplied a username and password last week.

Also, I know people are saying that business lines still have a fair usage policy but I don't think its ever enforced. We have a business line where I work and go through at least 400GB a month and have never been capped once. We also NEED at least this, and we're a small company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I can't see business lines having a fair usage policy - some businesses need to host websites and other internet services, VPNs, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single10730

Surely articles like that would show there's a requirement for larger caps for the domestic service.

I'm still throttled, third week now. I was wondering if anyone that got unthrottled has been rethrottled yet. If they are using your last 30 days usage one could be rethrottled in a matter of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

How do I login to check my BT stats?

Never mind I found it. But now I don't know my password, is there anyway of finding that without ringing the woderful tech support?

Edit: found it :-)

Mine is saying I've exceeded my limit but no mention of being throttled. How much overusage can I do before being throttled?

Gegerty wrote: »
    How do I login to check my BT stats?

Never mind I found it. But now I don't know my password, is there anyway of finding that without ringing the woderful tech support?

Edit: found it :-)

Mine is saying I've exceeded my limit but no mention of being throttled. How much overusage can I do before being throttled?

That is the great mystery, BT says 30 gbs but general opinion says 100gbs.
    It used to be more or less unlimited, or so we thought, but only time will tell if they continue with their new brutal strategy of throttling.

How much did you d/l u/l last month, Blindpew?

I have no idea as my usage meter says I havn't been online since last October, but it must have been a lot seeing as I have been throttled since Mar 28th, Black Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Blindpew wrote: »
    I'm still throttled, third week now. I was wondering if anyone that got unthrottled has been rethrottled yet. If they are using your last 30 days usage one could be rethrottled in a matter of days.

I was unthrottled there last week and have already gone over my 30GB cap for the month and am still unthrottled. Although my lines been all over the place, it disconnects in the middle of the day and when it does connect my speeds are up and down between 3Mb/s to 8Mb/s. I've a feeling they've lumped my line in with a load of other heavy users.

Not really too pushed about it at the moment as i'll be soon on a business line. I'll be pi$$ed though if it continues when i'm moved over though. If it does i'll be moving to Eircom.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I was unthrottled there last week and have already gone over my 30GB cap for the month and am still unthrottled. Although my lines been all over the place, it disconnects in the middle of the day and when it does connect my speeds are up and down between 3Mb/s to 8Mb/s. I've a feeling they've lumped my line in with a load of other heavy users.

Not really too pushed about it at the moment as i'll be soon on a business line. I'll be pi$$ed though if it continues when i'm moved over though. If it does i'll be moving to Eircom.

If they roll out 8mb speeds around the country there will be a lot of heavy users. It would be very hard to stay under 30gb unless you only used it for 3 days a month. Even at the 15kb speed that I have I could probably be over the cap before the end of the month.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Although my lines been all over the place, it disconnects in the middle of the day and when it does connect my speeds are up and down between 3Mb/s to 8Mb/s.

My line has been disconnecting, reconnecting non stop for the past week. Since 1st of april I have logged in over 350 times, according to their meter. I thought my router has the settings wrong since they changed me onto a llu etc.

Strange, I use a buffalo wbmr-g54 modem/router and have never had any problems with it. If i go into diagnostics it can verify that my data transfer rate can be as high 8123kbps. Telling me my line is upgraded to 8m but I am throttled to 128k.

How can my modem tell me I have a 8m line if I have been throttled since before the upgrade?

Does anyone know how they are throttling us. software/hardware/process?

PotBelly wrote: »
    My line has been disconnecting, reconnecting non stop for the past week. Since 1st of april I have logged in over 350 times, according to their meter. I thought my router has the settings wrong since they changed me onto a llu etc.

Strange, I use a buffalo wbmr-g54 modem/router and have never had any problems with it. If i go into diagnostics it can verify that my data transfer rate can be as high 8123kbps. Telling me my line is upgraded to 8m but I am throttled to 128k.

How can my modem tell me I have a 8m line if I have been throttled since before the upgrade?

Does anyone know how they are throttling us. software/hardware/process?

It's The Devil's work that they are about for sure, first they messed with our phone lines and now they they are messing with our heads, telling us we have 8mb and 3mb download speeds whilst giving us just double dial up. I visualise that there are BT workers in every exchange tieing knots on our phone lines. You wouldn't get this kind of carry on in China.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

That is the great mystery, BT says 30 gbs but general opinion says 100gbs.
    It used to be more or less unlimited, or so we thought, but only time will tell if they continue with their new brutal strategy of throttling.

I think this is going to turn around and bite them. For me it's impossible to stay below 30gb a month, so if I'm going to get throttled every month then there's no point paying for the deluxe service. Might as well be on 1mb or even better go elsewhere! Maybe this is why they allow a certain amount of leeway.

But don't complain too much it could be worse. When I was with UTV internet (about 2 years ago) I got disconnected as soon as I hit my allocation. That's completely disconnected and unable to use broadband!! And to top it off it took me 8 months to get away from them. They wouldn't give BT what they needed to transfer me.....sorry maybe I should go to the Letting off Steam forum :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I have no idea as my usage meter says I havn't been online since last October, but it must have been a lot seeing as I have been throttled since Mar 28th, Black Thursday.

I really cant believe this... I told you around 4 times to ring them and still you havent?

Do you realize that they could unthrottle you if you do this?

If 1st level cant do it ask them to talk to their 2nd level team.

I did ring a number of times over the years about the meter but it always goes back to being broken, I'm not prepared to wait half an hour on the phone only to be cut off in the end. Besides ringing them is acknowledging their warning of throttling. If in a months time they decide to charge for every megabite I couldn't then say that I knew nothing of throttling. And also it's not my job to report their broken software.

I did ring a number of times over the years about the meter but it always goes back to being broken,
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

And also it's not my job to report their broken software.
    With an attitude like that it'll never get fixed. They have customer support for a reason... even if it is particularly crappy customer support...

I did ring a number of times over the years about the meter but it always goes back to being broken, I'm not prepared to wait half an hour on the phone only to be cut off in the end. Besides ringing them is acknowledging their warning of throttling. If in a months time they decide to charge for every megabite I couldn't then say that I knew nothing of throttling. And also it's not my job to report their broken software.

Ah ok, makes perfect sense...... not

Very smart decision, yes Sr!

Are you aware that they obviously know who you are? There is no need to hide...

So instead of letting them know and maybe, getting them to unthrottle you prefer to say nothing and keep being throttled!

Bohrio wrote: »
    Ah ok, makes perfect sense...... not

Very smart decision, yes Sr!

Are you aware that they obviously know who you are? There is no need to hide...

So instead of letting them know and maybe, getting them to unthrottle you prefer to say nothing and keep being throttled!

I am aware that they know they have me throttled but there's no logged phone call or written letter that proves that I am aware they are throttling me. If they ring me I'll mention the usage meter.

Ok

Anyway are you sure your usage meter doesnt work?

When was the last time you checked?

Bohrio wrote: »
    Ok

Anyway are you sure your usage meter doesnt work?

When was the last time you checked?

Actually I just checked it now and amazingly for once it's working, still says I'm throttled though.

• Advertisement

Oh well... better late than never!

shame if you would have called them I still think they would have unthrottled you... now there is no way for you to prove it :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement