Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

My usage meter is also warning me, i'm at 16GB for the month...i had better be conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

BT 3meg line in Clonee... It's been bad all week.

Jumpin'Jesus - how slow is that -

Are NTL throttling also? I may jump ship if this continues...

259825667.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

sticker wrote: »

259825667.png

Wait till you see 15kb down and 15kb up, then you'll know what slow is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭SeanW

Blindpew wrote: »
    Wait till you see 15kb down and 15kb up, then you'll know what slow is.

That speedtest is in Kilobits per second.

Is your 15kb Kilobits, or KiloBytes?

Because 15KB would still be useable, it will work for general browsing and/or light gaming, but 15kb would be like early 90s dial up!

Hows about this then...!

WHAT A ****'IN JOKE.

1.jpg

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    That speedtest is in Kilobits per second.

Is your 15kb Kilobits, or KiloBytes?

Because 15KB would still be useable, it will work for general browsing and/or light gaming, but 15kb would be like early 90s dial up!

My mistake, my 15kb is kilobytes. If they have you on bits they might be starting a new diaboical double throttling system. I guess with BT slow is the new fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

259825667.png

Just so you know, those speeds do not reflect you getting throttled. If i was you i'd contact tech-support and check if you are being throttled. Cause your upload speed is way way too low. Its meant to be 125/125 up/down.

you may have a line issue or there is an issue you with your filters.

briantwin wrote: »
    Just so you know, those speeds do not reflect you getting throttled. If i was you i'd contact tech-support and check if you are being throttled. Cause your upload speed is way way too low. Its meant to be 125/125 up/down.

you may have a line issue or there is an issue you with your filters.

I recently split my connection with a Netgear ethernet switch. saying that, there was no major activity - ie downloads / torrents etc on the 2nd rig when I took the test...

Is there any way for me to check 'my filters' ?!

Although I may just jump to 12meg NTL - according to uChoose.ie: NTL have a 12Mb TriplePlay deal as follows - (incl. TV / 12meg BB / Phone)

Down Speed 12 Mbps
    Up Speed 512 Kbps
    Usage Cap no cap
    Contention 17:1
    Type Cable
    Phone calls Incl

Cost First Month
    € 33.75
    Install free
    Cost Year 1
    € 742.50

To merge my existing NTL bill & BT together - it's considerably cheaper.
    I think I may jump alright -

What do you guys think of switching from BT to this 12 meg service? Are NTL ok?!

What do you guys think of switching from BT to this 12 meg service? Are NTL ok?![/QUOTE]

From what I've heard NTL are very strict on the usage allowance, even worse than BT. I can't seem to find the unlimited package you mentioned. If such a package exists in your area I would certainly go for it.

What do you guys think of switching from BT to this 12 meg service? Are NTL ok?!

From what I've heard NTL are very strict on the usage allowance, even worse than BT. I can't seem to find the unlimited package you mentioned. If such a package exists in your area I would certainly go for it.[/QUOTE]

Here it is http://www.uchoose.ie/17-Broadband-Bundles/index.htm

It's the NTL 12Mb TriplePlay option - although the link seems dead! This option was given to me for the Dublin West / Clonee area.

• Advertisement

That offer looks great. You could download about a thousand gbs a month with that. It's not available here in Waterford yet , only the capped versions.

Actually on closer inspection it is available here. Now all I have to do is to convince the wife to allow me have two broadband packages untill the BT contract runs out.

I just contacted NTL - they 'officially' told me they don't throttle torrent use... and I'm in the 12 meg area!

Unfortunately, the phone service isn't up here yet, so I'll have to hang onto BT for the phone and switch my BB to NTL.

Shag it, I'm going to call BT today and cancel the service.

I'm using this switch here to split the connection, But the 2nd PC is inactive for web activity. Would this DRAMATICALLY effect my speeds?! -

I'm currently at 170kb/s - Speedtest tells me the average for Esat in Dublin is 2,000kb/s!

When I ring BT and mention I'm using a switch - they'll just rattle on that they can't support 3rd party devices and hang up. WOULDN'T BE THE FIRST TIME.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I just contacted NTL - they 'officially' told me they don't throttle torrent use... and I'm in the 12 meg area!

Unfortunately, the phone service isn't up here yet, so I'll have to hang onto BT for the phone and switch my BB to NTL.

Shag it, I'm going to call BT today and cancel the service.

I'm currently at 170kb/s - Speedtest tells me the average for Esat in Dublin is 2,000kb/s!

When I ring BT and mention I'm using a switch - they'll just rattle on that they can't support 3rd party devices and hang up. WOULDN'T BE THE FIRST TIME.

Dont let this stop you from moving but just to let you know the limit for NTL's ultra 12 mb package is 120 gb.

I dont think TriplePlay is available just yet

That is just a switch. Shouldnt affect your connection. If you want to make sure then remove it and connect directly to the router.

Have you asked BT to check if you have been throttled?

Bohrio wrote: »
    Dont let this stop you from moving but just to let you know the limit for NTL's ultra 12 mb package is 120 gb.

I dont think TriplePlay is available just yet

That is just a switch. Shouldnt affect your connection. If you want to make sure then remove it and connect directly to the router.

Have you asked BT to check if you have been throttled?

NTL tell me the no-cap. TriplePlay is available.

I was just onto BT - they tell me my 3meg service has 30gig cap - this month I'm at 50gig - I said I was going to go to NTL and they asked for my phone number and a member of the 'cancellation team' would contact me in a few days to discuss further -

He hinted that I explain how unreasonable I feel this is (being a four year customer using the phone package etc blah blah) and they *might* try to remedy the situation...

I see what transpires...

I was just onto BT - they tell me my 3meg service has 30gig cap - this month I'm at 50gig - I said I was going to go to NTL and they asked for my phone number and a member of the 'cancellation team' would contact me in a few days to discuss further -

He hinted that I explain how unreasonable I feel this is (being a four year customer using the phone package etc blah blah) and they *might* try to remedy the situation...

I see what transpires...

But have you asked them if you are being throttled?

I dont see the point in ringing the Cancellations Team. If you have been throttled then they will let you go if you havent they will ask Tech Support to call you.

If Tripleplay is available then you should go for it. Just make sure they are not selling you the ultra package which comes with a cap.

But have you asked them if you are being throttled?

I dont see the point in ringing the Cancellations Team. If you have been throttled then they will let you go if you havent they will ask Tech Support to call you.

If Tripleplay is available then you should go for it. Just make sure they are not selling you the ultra package which comes with a cap.

They DID tell me I was being throttled... as I said, 50gig this month on a 30gig service cap. Thay also ASKED me to accept a call-back from the cancellation team - their idea not mine... not that it'll do any good methinks, I've pretty much made up my mind to go to NTL.

Shame really, I was a happy BT customer for quite some time.

I see what transpires...

Will they allow you to avail of the unlimited broadband service when they can't provide the phone service?

Will they allow you to avail of the unlimited broadband service when they can't provide the phone service?

...so the sales gal told me. They are after all seperate services.

...so the sales gal told me. They are after all seperate services.

I can't see any add for this service on their web page only the ultra package, I did see it on the link you provided however. I'd double check that you get the unlimited service as sales people will say anything to make a sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

Anyone else who has been throttled, have a very bad connection at the moment. My Dsl connection keeps dropping for about 20min-30min and changing ip. I rang bt and they said that it could be as a result of me getting throttled.

It could also be my router settings, or their new hardware in the eircom exchanges.

The bt chap said everything on his end was fine but that was when the connection was ok on my end aswell.

• Advertisement

PotBelly wrote: »
    Anyone else who has been throttled, have a very bad connection at the moment. My Dsl connection keeps dropping for about 20min-30min and changing ip. I rang bt and they said that it could be as a result of me getting throttled.

It could also be my router settings, or their new hardware in the eircom exchanges.

The bt chap said everything on his end was fine but that was when the connection was ok on my end aswell.

BT support told me immediately that I was throttled. They can tell sttraight away... Or perhaps they're just looking at the usage on accounts and coming to the conclusion themselves!

It's such a farce that a 50gig usage on a 3 meg line with all the free media out there and they're downing clients service as a result. I wouldn't mind if it was a few years ago when there was only a gaggle of hardcore breech cap individuals, but today most households are downloading gigis in a day. As I said before, I've had enough - they've lost me as a customer and I'm takingthe phone service from NTL the minute it's in my area...

It's such a farce that a 50gig usage on a 3 meg line with all the free media out there and they're downing clients service as a result. I wouldn't mind if it was a few years ago when there was only a gaggle of hardcore breech cap individuals, but today most households are downloading gigis in a day. As I said before, I've had enough - they've lost me as a customer and I'm takingthe phone service from NTL the minute it's in my area...

You are looking at this months usage but the throttling goes back at least 1 month.. so to those 50 you see you have to add whatever you downloaded fromthe 15 of last month, that will come up to more than 50, way more.

If you want to know ask tech support and they will tell you exactly how much you have downloaded in the last 30 days. It might take them a few minutes but they will get back to you

You are looking at this months usage but the throttling goes back at least 1 month.. so to those 50 you see you have to add whatever you downloaded fromthe 15 of last month, that will come up to more than 50, way more.

Would you happen to know if this throttling is now a permenant feature with BT or is it a once off exercise to rid the company of internet users that use more than 30gb in 30 days?

Would you happen to know if this throttling is now a permenant feature with BT or is it a once off exercise to rid the company of internet users that use more than 30gb in 30 days?

Couldn't say, they could just be testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Couldn't say, they could just be testing.

they aren't testing as i'm throttled again :( Downloaded just about 50GB since I got unthrottled.

I still haven't been moved over to my business account either which is pi$$ing me off royally. I was promised no downtime and a switch over time of 4 days. 14 days later and with consistant up and down time on my line they have yet to confirm when my business line will become active. :mad:

NTL cold called me last night about their BB packages as I already get TV through them. Looks like i'll be hopping over to them so if their no caps claims are to be believed.

L31mr0d wrote: »

they aren't testing as i'm throttled again :( Downloaded just about 50GB since I got unthrottled.

I still haven't been moved over to my business account either which is pi$$ing me off royally. I was promised no downtime and a switch over time of 4 days. 14 days later and with consistant up and down time on my line they have yet to confirm when my business line will become active. :mad:

NTL cold called me last night about their BB packages as I already get TV through them. Looks like i'll be hopping over to them so if their no caps claims are to be believed.

So that means that you will be throttled for another 20 days. In reality then over a month all that BTs deluxe package offers is 15kb download speed. I have downloaded over 16gbs this month on the throttled speed and it's the 17th day. I should have the 30gb by the end of the month. If I get unthrottled I could download the monthly allowance in about 5 days and then face throttling again after another 3 days. These facts should be on the leaflets that get pushed under peoples doors and they should feature in radio and tv adds. It's misleading people selling broadband packages with the premise that you can download films in an instant or watch streamimg video on demand.
    The only attraction that BT had was the non implimenting of the usage cap. NTLs 12mb capped product at 120 gbs is now four times the value for the download quota alone never mind the fact that it can be 4 times faster.
    If you can get the tripleplay unlimited package then you're really in business.
    BT broadband which is now mostly narrow band is only suitable for web browsing and e-mail. People should be told this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

Just got unthrottled. Sweet. 10 days before I was expecting to be. Downloading at a fast 690kBps.:)

Will stop at 30 gigs though:p

The chap in bt tech support said they only flag people over a hundred gigs:confused:

Just got unthrottled. Sweet. 10 days before I was expecting to be. Downloading at a fast 690kbps.:)

Will stop at 30 gigs though:p

The chap in bt tech support said they only flag people over a hundred gigs:confused:

You had better savor the moment then and keep watching the speedometer because you only have about 20 hours left at that speed, then your back in the 15kb zone for another 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just got unthrottled. Sweet. 10 days before I was expecting to be. Downloading at a fast 690kbps.:)

That's not very good. What's your speed supposed to be?

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    NTLs 12mb capped product at 120 gbs is now four times the value for the download quota alone never mind the fact that it can be 4 times faster.

Couldn't agree more!

I was just onto BT AGAIN - my speed for the past few days has been so slow, I can't even FTP a simple website online. I told them I was a four year customer - acknowledged the fact that I had broke the cap, but could not operate my business without a REASONABLE connection. I told them I would go to NTL if the situation was not remedied. They said they can't unblock the lines. They pretty much didn't care about losing my custom.

It's important to note - I'm NOT a serial cap breecher - I was 20gig over the limit...

I understand their standpoint, but the throttling of a three meg line to 15kb/s is just a cessation of the service...

I've ordered NTL 12meg - they'll be installing Tuesday.

BYE BYE BT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement