Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

sticker wrote: »
    Blindpew wrote: »

It's important to note - I'm NOT a serial cap breecher - I was 20gig over the limit...

BYE BYE BT.

That's not true you are over 100 gb, as I have said 2 you b4 u are only looking at the amount downloaded in the last 16 days (this month)

Therefore, now that you are moving to NTL and as you are over 100 gb (very close to their 120 gb limit) you will be unthrottled too, so be careful, just watch out... I still can't see anywhere TriplePlay but if they told you that then.. their call!

Just make sure you get it in writting or when you sign for the order over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

You had better savor the moment then and keep watching the speedometer because you only have about 20 hours left at that speed, then your back in the 15kb zone for another 3 weeks.

How do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

PotBelly wrote: »
    How do you mean?

I just meant if you kept downloading at that speed in about 20 hours you could have gone over the 30gb cap, after you've exceeded the cap their automatic system will throttle you. That seems to be the way it's working, I'm still throttled since mar 28th but some people that got unchoked have managed to be rethrottled after exceeding the cap again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've edged over my limit and have not been rethrottled......

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Bohrio wrote: »

That's not true you are over 100 gb, as I have said 2 you b4 u are only looking at the amount downloaded in the last 16 days (this month)

Therefore, now that you are moving to NTL and as you are over 100 gb (very close to their 120 gb limit) you will be unthrottled too, so be careful, just watch out... I still can't see anywhere TriplePlay but if they told you that then.. their call!

Just make sure you get it in writting or when you sign for the order over the phone.

I see what you mean re: cap... point taken!

Also, Dunno who said it here before, but the origional NTL Sales staff WAS incorrect - the Tripleplay option is not available... Jesus, wouldn't you think these people would know what they're selling!! I probably should have known better...

I've gone with the 16meg / 120gig cap... I'll be keeping an eye on traffic going forward...! (beats a 30gig cap anyways)

Apologies if I've missed it on this thread, but do NTL have an online cap meter or is it left to the customer to total their web use?

• Advertisement

I've gone with the 16meg / 120gig cap... I'll be keeping an eye on traffic going forward...! (beats a 30gig cap anyways)

There you are right!!! By a mile! :)

I see what you mean re: cap... point taken!

Also, Dunno who said it here before, but the origional NTL Sales staff WAS incorrect - the Tripleplay option is not available... Jesus, wouldn't you think these people would know what they're selling!! I probably should have known better...

?

I was thinking it was a bit odd that it was on the "you choose" site but not on their own website. Maybe it's an upcomming package that got leaked to the other site. NTL would never tell you of upcoming offers before the official release day. A very nice lady on a phone one night sold us a tv package even though the next day they announced a better deal. She could have told us. 120s gb is a lot of data but at that speed I bet you'll find it hard to control your torrent program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Contacted by EA through BT who rang from the US today. Legal action.

No more downloading. :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Contacted by EA through BT who rang from the US today. Legal action.

No more downloading. :(

Elaborate!

What were you downloading and from where?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

still breaking the cap easily every month and have never been throttled

• Advertisement

Phlann wrote: »
    Elaborate!

Maybe it was the game Full Throttle seeing as BT are involved.

Phlann wrote: »
    Elaborate!

Crysis. Skullptura release...funny enough I get caught on this one, I'm actually buying Crysis so I can play it online...Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What exactly did EA say?

I don't want to say any more, in case anyone from BT reads these boards...

I have a feeling that there was some skullduggery involved vis a vis BT suppling your details to EA. I reckon it was not even EA that contacted you. Just some ploy to stop you downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that there was some skullduggery involved vis a vis BT suppling your details to EA. I reckon it was not even EA that contacted you. Just some ploy to stop you downloading.

absolutely...

BT are fit for anything, next thing they'll be sending the names and addresses of online women to the wife. They're only a bunch of throttlers and can't be trusted.

BT are fit for anything, next thing they'll be sending the names and addresses of online women to the wife. They're only a bunch of throttlers and can't be trusted.

You are probably right... I bet that BT has a guy monitoring all their good few thousand customers waiting for someone to commit an ilegal action so they can call that company (EA in this case) and inform them.

It makes much more sense than rather be the EA detecting a fraudulent copy, gathering the remote IP and contact the ISP...

If you are worry about this wait a while, I remember a meeting was suppose to happen sometime close in regards copyrights and cutting off ilegal downloads, or trying to, with Eircom and other ISPs just to try to control ilegal downloads... I think I read a post here somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

unthrottled this morning :confused:... although my internet will probably go down in 20 minutes :rolleyes:

maybe their new scheme for this week is to not throttle people, but give them a daily allowance. Then when the user goes over their daily allowance they just disconnect them.

I'll be trying to connect home from work today so i'll let yous know when it goes down (the one day i'm watching it it probably won't go down :rolleyes:)

It was down this morning but came back up when I restarted the router.

You are probably right... I bet that BT has a guy monitoring all their good few thousand customers waiting for someone to commit an ilegal action so they can call that company (EA in this case) and inform them.
    Would they be running foul of the Data Protection Act? Are they lawfully allowed to pass your details to a third party such as EA?

Something is not right in camelot.

• Advertisement

Would they be running foul of the Data Protection Act? Are they lawfully allowed to pass your details to a third party such as EA?

Something is not right in camelot.

I certainly doubt it BT did it. I think they probably got your details from someplace else but of course, there is no way I can confirm this so, for the moment, we shall wait.

If you tried to play a downloaded game online at any time you may have entered your phone number and other details. They would discover it was an illegal copy and maybe contacted you. Otherwise I don't see how they could get your details unless supplied by the isp.

It's nothing to do with the game itself, it's the downloading....I can only imagine EA were tracking that particular torrent, got my IP and contacted BT - who probably did not give them details, but rather forwarded the eh...'concern' expressed to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

A request would have to come through the courts for your information or the information pertinent to ip address 212.*.*.* on such a date and such a time. You'd be going to court if that had transpired. What may have happened is there was a request from EA for your details and you were given a heads up by BT... its a possibility.

It's nothing to do with the game itself, it's the downloading....I can only imagine EA were tracking that particular torrent, got my IP and contacted BT - who probably did not give them details, but rather forwarded the eh...'concern' expressed to me.

Peer Gaurdian is supposed to prevent undesirible sources discovering you ip address whilst downloading. It might be a help to you in the future, if this foolish throttling situation ever gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

My internet at home is now down again :(

also in regard to EA contacting BT who contacted the downloader, it all seems very fishy. I'd contact BT anonymously and ask them for information on this, tell them your "friend" was telling you they where contacted by BT in regard to copyright material and ask them what their protocol is for such situations, will they give out personal details... etc

L31mr0d wrote: »
    My internet at home is now down again :(

also in regard to EA contacting BT who contacted the downloader, it all seems very fishy. I'd contact BT anonymously and ask them for information on this, tell them your "friend" was telling you they where contacted by BT in regard to copyright material and ask them what their protocol is for such situations, will they give out personal details... etc

I can guarantee there is not an ISP in the land who will give out your details without first getting it pushed through the courts. I remember eircom got fined 1m euro for someone giving out an acc. number over the phone to a little old lady (who was actually a woman from ComReg doing routine checks. Thats not bulls*it either,i worked for eircom at the time. My point being , your ISP especially in Ireland with the uber strict DPA would never give your details to a 3rd party. Especially as someone implied out of spite because you're a heavy user. FFS lads weigh it up in your heads here, a)give out customers details because he's a heavy downloader and risk getting fined 1m euros + or b) just tell them no but they will speak to the customer and advise him to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Crysis. Skullptura release...funny enough I get caught on this one, I'm actually buying Crysis so I can play it online...Ah well.

Just wondering was it a Public or Private site?

briantwin wrote: »
    I can guarantee there is not an ISP in the land who will give out your details without first getting it pushed through the courts. I remember eircom got fined 1m euro for someone giving out an acc. number over the phone to a little old lady (who was actually a woman from ComReg doing routine checks. Thats not bulls*it either,i worked for eircom at the time. My point being , your ISP especially in Ireland with the uber strict DPA would never give your details to a 3rd party. Especially as someone implied out of spite because you're a heavy user. FFS lads weigh it up in your heads here, a)give out customers details because he's a heavy downloader and risk getting fined 1m euros + or b) just tell them no but they will speak to the customer and advise him to stop.
    I wonder if BT's monitoring dept has an American working in it? BT could have had said American call you from a withheld number pretending to be from EA simply to put the frighteners on you and hence stop you down loading. A possibility I would say.

• Advertisement

I wonder if BT's monitoring dept has an American working in it? BT could have had said American call you from a withheld number pretending to be from EA simply to put the frighteners on you and hence stop you down loading. A possibility I would say.

I would say its not very likely at all on account of they have introduced throttling to deal with excessive downloading, Don't tell me they have private vendettas against particular users where throttling just isn't enough. The whole point is do what you will with your allocated bandwidth per month but go over the cap and you may get throttled. Thats how they're dealing with it, not ringing people up impersonating software and game developers in the hope they might download less. Where is the sense in that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement