Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It's nothing to do with the game itself, it's the downloading....I can only imagine EA were tracking that particular torrent, got my IP...
    That's quite likely.
    Blindpew wrote: »
    Peer Gaurdian is supposed to prevent undesirible sources discovering you ip address whilst downloading. It might be a help to you in the future, if this foolish throttling situation ever gets sorted.
    The intentions of PeerGuardian are dubious at best. Basically it just blocks a big mad list of IP addresses who they consider "bad people" for whatever vague reasons. Entire IP ranges for certain ISPs around the world are on the block list, etc. Last month certain servers for updating NOD32 anti-virus where put on this list (see here)! And people in the US have still ended up court despite using it.
    Auvers wrote: »
    Just wondering was it a Public or Private site?
    Private trackers don't really make you any more anonymous TBH. They only really exist so users can be tracked (for recording upload ratios, etc.) or charging money or whatever (I dunno who would waste money on such things :rolleyes:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

or charging money or whatever (I dunno who would waste money on such things :rolleyes:).

hmm I have never paid money to any private site that I am a member of ;)

and who said anything about thinking they were anonymous on private trackers :confused:

no offence but I asked a question to TerrorFirmer not you Zilog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

maybe another thread should be started regarding this issue with EA as it doesn't relate to throttling and would also be of interest to people who wouldn't otherwise read this thread.

also, my line at home is still down :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

When one gets unthrottled does the speed just pick up or does the router need to be restarted. I've been expecting a speed surge for the last 21 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

To the people that are going over the limit and getting throttled

Where do you do most downloading?

html?
    torrents?
    newsgroups?

I have a feeling BT are going after the torrent peeps :p

• Advertisement

sourceforge.net ;)

L31mr0d wrote: »
    sourceforge.net ;)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

To the people that are going over the limit and getting throttled

html?
    torrents?
    newsgroups?

I have a feeling BT are going after the torrent peeps :p

I agree with you, as the chap in bt I was talking to was able to guess I was using torrents as my uploaded data was unusually high and no amount of email,browsing and online gaming would cause that.

TBH as long as you dont take the piss with your cap(like I did) they dont care what legal/illegal stuff your downloading/uploading unless they get a email from paramount/EA etc telling them that they face legal action unless steps are taken to warn a certain client who was on a certain ip address on a given day.

I was considering a business package, but decided against it because of the static IP address. Dynamic ip gives me a nice false sense of anonymity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Well after BT throttled me last week - I'm with NTL now...

262490495.png

...quite happy with that - thank you very much!:D

sticker wrote: »
    Well after BT throttled me last week - I'm with NTL now...

262490495.png

...quite happy with that - thank you very much!:D

what is the price difference between your 12Mb NTL line and your old 8Mb BT line? Did you have to pay much to end the contract?

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    what is the price difference between your 12Mb NTL line and your old 8Mb BT line? Did you have to pay much to end the contract?

There was no fee to end the contract with BT - I'm still using their phone service, They me they OWE me credit for an advance I paid at the start of the contract with them - it'll be deducted from my next phone bill...

NTL 12mb line / 120gig cap - €20 for the first two months - €40 per month after...

The minute NTL have the phone service in my area I'll be going with them also.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Lucky you. I tried to switch to NTL and smart but they couldn't provide to my area.

Finally unthrottled today, nearly a month after it started. Pain in the ass but it's nice to see download speeds over 12kB/s again.

Phlann wrote: »
    Lucky you. I tried to switch to NTL and smart but they couldn't provide to my area.

Finally unthrottled today, nearly a month after it started. Pain in the ass but it's nice to see download speeds over 12kB/s again.

I was called by a customer service representative in BT yesterday - he told me he was informed of my intention to leave... He said himself and a lot of our section heads WITHIN BT had told senior management that the immediate throttling (without warning) would have people jump ship and cause a lot of bad pr. They were dismissed out of hand.

He agreed with my sentiment that BT's cap policy has ALWAYS been relaxed and to suddenly cut supply would be a dangerous move (My speeds were reduced to such a ridicules extent - it was as good as cut)
    It a shame really - I was a happy BT customer, but the way in which they behaved has me gone to a competitor.

Saying that, I'm sitting on a 12meg connection now - so maybe a blessing in disguise!

RANT OVER.

PS - There's always the possibility the BT guy was full of it and was just telling me what I wanted to hear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Anyone that was throttled last week gone over the 30gb limit this month? Any repurcussions?

I got ANOTHER call form the same guy in BT - a follow up to see if I wanted my bb cancelled! He told me he was in a meeting yesterday where the decision was made that the throttling WOULD continue to cap breakers going forward.

I'm glad I jumped ship now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I got ANOTHER call form the same guy in BT - a follow up to see if I wanted my bb cancelled! He told me he was in a meeting yesterday where the decision was made that the throttling WOULD continue to cap breakers going forward.

I am curious... if you were throttled is because your usage went over a certain amount (I think its over 100-120 gb)

So now you are on NTL, their cap is 120 gb isnt it?

You now they will suspend your account or do whatever they decide to do when you reach that limit, so, the only difference is that with NTL 12mb line you will reach that limit sooner!

Just wondering

Bohrio wrote: »
    I am curious... if you were throttled is because your usage went over a certain amount (I think its over 100-120 gb)

You now they will suspend your account or do whatever they decide to do when you reach that limit, so, the only difference is that with NTL 12mb line you will reach that limit sooner!

Just wondering

you forgot to mention that it works out a helluvalot cheaper if you already have TV with UPC.

I was able to authenticate yesterday with my business username and password and i'm now getting down speeds of only 800Kb/s. This line is supposed to be unthrottled, have no cap and a static IP :mad:

I'll be ringing BT to demand they sort it today or i'll request to end my contract with them. UPC have already rang me and offered 12Mb/s BB so i'm sorely tempted to just cut loose of BT and their new shoddy 8Mb/s service. I don't think i've had one day since I moved over to the LLU that I haven't had downtime or some issue with the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If anything that proves the theory that BT want rid of the cap breakers altogether rather than try get you to stay under the limit. Throttle you hard for a bit make you jump ship. These people are trained to keep you with them at all costs, if they are telling you this its a coordinated effort to be rid of you.

Just wondering

The difference now is that if BT are going to throttle people for going over a 30gb cap and NTL will allow you 120gb, then NTL are four times the value.
    BT need to increase the cap to at least whatever NTL offer and more because of the speed difference, 12mb vs 8mb. If BT throttle after 30gb one would have to be foolish to have them as your provider. I have no problem with BT apart from the throttling by the way.

The difference now is that if BT are going to throttle people for going over a 30gb cap and NTL will allow you 120gb, then NTL are four times the value.
    BT need to increase the cap to at least whatever NTL offer and more because of the speed difference, 12mb vs 8mb. If BT throttle after 30gb one would have to be foolish to have them as your provider. I have no problem with BT apart from the throttling by the way.

Ah no, dont get me wrong I am moving soon and will be getting NTL (most likely) and I agree 100% 120 gb is better than 30 gb.

I wouldnt be surprised if BT will decide to increase the cap but I dont thing they will get anywhere close to 120 gb. It will be too risky for them.

I have also heard that they will be implementing a fair usage policy for business too, not good not good

I have also been told by them that the average usage for a BT customer is around 2 gb... I find it hard to believe but I do trust the source!

When I said what I said about NTL's 120 gb cap is that for people like yourself and sticker and all the rest it will still not be enought...

For ex, are you still being throttled? As far as I know if you are that will mean that last months usage was over 400 gb...

So, it doesnt really matter where you are, NTL or BT you will have to control yourself!!

Unless you have smart or something similar of course... if you do then you should be ok, at least for the moment...

• Advertisement

So have we found out if they are just targeting torrenters?

Ah no, dont get me wrong I am moving soon and will be getting NTL (most likely) and I agree 100% 120 gb is better than 30 gb.

I wouldnt be surprised if BT will decide to increase the cap but I dont thing they will get anywhere close to 120 gb. It will be too risky for them.

I have also heard that they will be implementing a fair usage policy for business too, not good not good

I have also been told by them that the average usage for a BT customer is around 2 gb... I find it hard to believe but I do trust the source!

When I said what I said about NTL's 120 gb cap is that for people like yourself and sticker and all the rest it will still not be enought...

For ex, are you still being throttled? As far as I know if you are that will mean that last months usage was over 400 gb...

So, it doesnt really matter where you are, NTL or BT you will have to control yourself!!

Unless you have smart or something similar of course... if you do then you should be ok, at least for the moment...

Well if the average usage is only 2gbs then that means they are only provididing about 8% of they would have to if everyone used the 30gbs.
    Surely then if they upped the cap to 150bgs the average usage might rise to 15% of BTs available bandwidth. Why they need to throttle people when the average use is only 2gb is just stupid. Do they really need to drop the average use to 1.8 gbs? I think they should go back to the way they were with no throttling. Forget about the 8mb download speed if they can't provide adaquate bandwidth for people to able to use it without fear of being cut off. 3mb unlimited would be far better.

Well if the average usage is only 2gbs then that means they are only provididing about 8% of they would have to if everyone used the 30gbs.
    Surely then if they upped the cap to 150bgs the average usage might rise to 15% of BTs available bandwidth. Why they need to throttle people when the average use is only 2gb is just stupid. Do they really need to drop the average use to 1.8 gbs? I think they should go back to the way they were with no throttling. Forget about the 8mb download speed if they can't provide adaquate bandwidth for people to able to use it without fear of being cut off. 3mb unlimited would be far better.

Well I suppose is like saying why is there a 120 km/h speed limit on the highway when most people never go over 100 km/h but my car can easily reach 200 km/h.

Probably because not everyone needs to go that fast. They are happy doing 100 or 90 km/h. I mean, I have gone over the speed limit many times! and got several tickets because of it, but you know what people say that happens when you go too fast... sooner or later you'll end up crashing.

I mean dont get me wrong, I will be honest, I do download movies and tv series, all the time! but I can control myself. Now, HDTV movies are on average 4.4 gb, HD TV series around 1.1gb... so obviously by only downloading a few you will easily go over your cap, but even then, reaching and overpassing 200 gb requires some serious downloading!!!!

I mean, in my case, I want to watch an episode I download it, if I want to watch a movie I do it, I just set a fix download transfer rate and that's it. I have never had to worry about my usage. But I only download what I need, that keeps me below the throttling limit. If they ever decide to lower the throttling cap then I will have to set a lower average transfer rate on my P2P client. Now is set to 30 KBps.

I have never ever gone over 100 gb and when I cant find anything nice to watch my usage goes down to 4 or 5 gb.

I dont know maybe I am the only one but that's enought for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I suspect this has all to do with the upcoming speed increases and the fact that the cap will remain the same. I suspect with 7.6MB/s down we'll all be able to download alot faster and as a result will max out that 30GB cap pretty quick.

I myself am hitting near 24GB which is alot for me, those US tv shows can be a killer on the cap. Anywhoo....i think this is gonna become more of an issue as we approach June-August.

If anything that proves the theory that BT want rid of the cap breakers altogether rather than try get you to stay under the limit. Throttle you hard for a bit make you jump ship. These people are trained to keep you with them at all costs, if they are telling you this its a coordinated effort to be rid of you.

Remember what BT did back in 1999?, with there "unlimited" 56kbps service?....they cut thousands off, no warning or anything...so much for "unlimied after 6pm-8am" rubbish we all got sold on.

Just wondering

Even if I broke the cap, why assume my average is that high?

I'm quite comfortable with NTL now - speed & cap.

Thanks for asking.

Even if I broke the cap, why assume my average is that high?

I'm quite comfortable with NTL now - speed & cap.

Thanks for asking.

Well if you were throttled by BT I am pretty confident it was...

Nothing to do with this issue.. how long does it normally take them to activate your line?

My download amount wasn't that high either. I only have the 3mb speed and I'd say my average is about 150gb a month. I only got unthrottled the other day, if I had the 8mb package I think I would be permenently throttled. Also a lot of people that are now only using 2gb will find it much easier to exceed the cap when given 8mb speed. How will BT deal with that? Will they throttle everyone? Will they go out of business over a 30gb cap with 8mb download ability?, I'd say they will unless they revise their plans.

It's very easy to go over the cap, i never thought it possible up until a few months ago when i started downloading US tv shows, unless you keep an eye on your download numbers (which arent't 100% accurate anyways) it's dodgy.

• Advertisement

Well if you were throttled by BT I am pretty confident it was...

Nothing to do with this issue.. how long does it normally take them to activate your line?

They told me the service was in my area, I made an appointment and within a week a guy was out - everything installed and running in twenty minutes...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement