Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

It's very easy to go over the cap, i never thought it possible up until a few months ago when i started downloading US tv shows, unless you keep an eye on your download numbers (which arent't 100% accurate anyways) it's dodgy.

That monitor tool is 100% accurate. That information its taken straight from the switch. All data is counted and saved at the beginning and end of each connection, filtered by your unique port id.

I have seen people saying that they are using a net monitoring tool and that they say otherwise but believe me a few thousand euro piece of hardware is better than a freeware tool, for instance, that tool only monitors your computer traffic.

A 30 days month has 720 hours in it.

If you sleep, on average, 8 hours per day, you are left with 480 hours.

If you work, monday to friday sustract another 180 hours.

you are left with 300 hours per month.

1 hour of High Definition video is about 1 gb.

A person who downloads 300 gb in a month that means 300 hours of Video.

How the hell do you manager to go to the bathroom?

So, unless you have managed to clone yourself I really cant see it happen!!

If you want you can lower the usage from 300 gb to 100 gb. That will give you 200 hours extra. Enough to go to the bathroom and have dinner. No social life though...

and that's High Definition, regular video will be 900 h.

You will need days 96 hours long watch all that video!

Blindpew

You are saying that a customer on a 3mb line who downloads 2 gb will download 15 times as much on a line not even 3 times faster?

sticker wrote: »
    They told me the service was in my area, I made an appointment and within a week a guy was out - everything installed and running in twenty minutes...

:)

Sound!

Thanks for the info... I think they will be my best option (there is no ADSL2+ in Sandyford at the moment) just NTL and Magnet and Magnet TV is not that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Bohrio wrote: »

Blindpew

You are saying that a customer on a 3mb line who downloads 2 gb will download 15 times as much on a line not even 3 times faster?

They will once they figure out that they can get the latest episodes of Lost or Desperate Housewives in less than 10 min. Give people the speed and they will use it.

Blindpew wrote: »
    They will once they figure out that they can get the latest episodes of Lost or Desperate Housewives in less than 10 min. Give people the speed and they will use it.

What stops them now?

It will only take them 25 min????

We are talking about 8 mb not 800mb! There is not really that much different.

the cap should be raised in accordance to the speed. So, if it was 30 gb for 3 mb 80 gb will be ok for a 8 mb line.

Makes more sense.

But you made my point... Not everybody has that sort of bulimic and childish behavior. Its just common sense. Just because I am stronger than someone doesnt mean I have to beat everyone who is weaker than me just because I can!

You are complicating the issue using big figures. My original point was if the average usage is only 2gb a month BT should be well able to allow childish bulimic people with too much time on their hands and suffering from constipation, to download as much as they can before they burst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So have we found out if they are just targeting torrenters?

I don't use torrents, its nothing to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

You are complicating the issue using big figures. My original point was if the average usage is only 2gb a month BT should be well able to allow childish bulimic people with too much time on their hands and suffering from constipation, to download as much as they can before they burst.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I don't use torrents, its nothing to do with that.

so why are only certain people being targeted, i have never had a month where i've been under the cap and my service is great(never had to deal with customer care though;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

so why are only certain people being targeted, i have never had a month where i've been under the cap and my service is great(never had to deal with customer care though;) )
    Read the thread. You have to do more that just go over 30gb to get throttled.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Hey - I'm not sure about 'You have to do more that just go over 30gb to get throttled.' I've been throttled this morning having hit 31GB and having a track record of being pretty much there or there abouts.. rude BT guy told me to wait 24hours???

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I wouldn't worry. I've hit 50gigs for the month because I've been downloading [edit]some stuff[/edit] and they haven't rethrottled me.

I don't mind pushing it though since I'll be moving ISPs within a few days.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Read the thread. You have to do more that just go over 30gb to get throttled.

In my house we probably hit nearly 100gb month easily

Oh crap!...i'm at 26GB now, and tomorrow is a big day normally for US tv shows: Gossip Girl/Greek/CSI Miami/Wildfire/The Hills/Two & a Half Men/Big Bang Theory.....!!

lol maybe they only throttle the people who download sh1te :D

lol maybe they only throttle the people who download sh1te :D

If they're throttling people for downloading ****e they'll cut me off entirely.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh crap!...i'm at 26GB now, and tomorrow is a big day normally for US tv shows: Gossip Girl/Greek/CSI Miami/Wildfire/The Hills/Two & a Half Men/Big Bang Theory.....!!

Lads I don't want to see anyone commenting regarding downloading copyright material in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭SeanW

Has anyone ever been charged for going over limit?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Lads I don't want to see anyone commenting regarding downloading copyright material in this thread

a little to over the top, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

a little to over the top, no?
    I don't think so at all. Mentioning downloading copyright material could get boards.ie into legal trouble. So it is best not to mention it.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I don't think so at all. Mentioning downloading copyright material could get boards.ie into legal trouble. So it is best not to mention it.

i see what you guys are talking about but relax :rolleyes:

i see what you guys are talking about but relax :rolleyes:

Hey fighting Irish, Stop being a twat and extend a little courtesy - these guys are safeguarding the boards from possible legal action.

Not to mention the fact that you must have your head stuck in the dirt not to hear of such instances here or on other forums...

...hows that for a little over the top... ;)

• Advertisement

Hey fighting Irish, Stop being a twat and extend a little courtesy - these guys are safeguarding the boards from possible legal action.

Not to mention the fact that you must have your head stuck in the dirt not to hear of such instances here or on other forums...

...hows that for a little over the top... ;)

I didn't mention anything i was downloading and i don't want to, i don't really care if we're allowed or not. All i was saying is boards wouldn't get in trouble if someone says they downloaded glenroe las night

I didn't mention anything i was downloading and i don't want to, i don't really care if we're allowed or not. All i was saying is boards wouldn't get in trouble if someone says they downloaded glenroe las night

Congrats on that law degree mate :pac:

Congrats on that law degree mate :pac:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Its boards policy, if they would get in trouble or not is irrelevant.

Its boards policy, if they would get in trouble or not is irrelevant.

i'm just saying you wouldn't get in trouble, simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

i'm just saying you wouldn't get in trouble, simple as

Whats the point in saying that, its the policy of the boards mods not to allow talk of copyrighted material you should respect it, if you believe that boards should allow talk of copyrighted material for whatever reason maybe you should start a thread in feedback forum.

Whats the point in saying that, its the policy of the boards mods not to allow talk of copyrighted material you should respect it, if you believe that boards should allow talk of copyrighted material for whatever reason maybe you should start a thread in feedback forum.

I'm banned from feedback :D

Maybe you guys can't read, i'm not debating whether it should be allowed or not, i'm saying boards would not get in trouble if i said "i downloaded <random tv show> last night"

Anyways lets all get on with life

Where did you get Glenroe? I'd love to see Biddy in her wellingtons again.

Where did you get Glenroe? I'd love to see Biddy in her wellingtons again.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I deleted my offending post, can't do much about folks quoting me in replies...sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement