Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Oh dear, oh dear. I thought I was switching to Magnet this week so I decided to give BT a parting gift and download loads of stuff, just as a petty and childish 'eff you', you know. Magnet rang earlier to say they can't actually provide me with broadband after all. I'm totally gonna get throttled again in the next couple of weeks I've got a question for anybody reading this thread who may work for one of the ISPs: What the hell is wrong with the Adelaide Rd exchange that none of the newer ISPs will put their equipment in it? Is it diseased or something? And why haven't Eircom set about upgrading this exchange? Five minutes from Stephen's Green and I can't get more than 3mb/s. It's head-wrecking. Almost all the surrounding exchanges have either been upgraded already or are being serviced by Smart et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Phlann wrote: »
    Oh dear, oh dear. I thought I was switching to Magnet this week so I decided to give BT a parting gift and download loads of stuff, just as a petty and childish 'eff you', you know. Magnet rang earlier to say they can't actually provide me with broadband after all. I'm totally gonna get throttled again in the next couple of weeks I've got a question for anybody reading this thread who may work for one of the ISPs: What the hell is wrong with the Adelaide Rd exchange that none of the newer ISPs will put their equipment in it? Is it diseased or something? And why haven't Eircom set about upgrading this exchange? Five minutes from Stephen's Green and I can't get more than 3mb/s. It's head-wrecking. Almost all the surrounding exchanges have either been upgraded already or are being serviced by Smart et al.
    Probably just not big enough to warrant the investment or the like of smart and magnet just aren't really upgrading anymore exchanges. I think you are misinformed Eircom don't provide any residential packages over 3mbit currently(changing this June). So if you know someone on 4mbit or higher its actually a business package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I just thought I'd let ye know that the throttling has started again. Two weeks since the 28th of March is all I have been unthrottled. What a stupid service. Before anyone says I shouldn't have overused it I like to let it be known that I am sick of apoligists for BT. Roll on August and the end of my contract, they can stick their dial up speed broadband then.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Just out of interest, how much do you think you've downloaded in the past 30 days (not since May).

For info only for me.

Just out of interest, how much do you think you've downloaded in the past 30 days (not since May).

For info only for me.

Well when throttled I'd say I got about 16gb and in the last two weeks it could be around 4gb a day maybe more somedays. I suppose it may have been 100gb in all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Blindpew wrote: »
    I just thought I'd let ye know that the throttling has started again. Two weeks since the 28th of March is all I have been unthrottled. What a stupid service. Before anyone says I shouldn't have overused it I like to let it be known that I am sick of apoligists for BT. Roll on August and the end of my contract, they can stick their dial up speed broadband then.

I couldn't agree with your sentiments more Blindpew - BT have ALWAYS been forgiving of cap breaks... As long as I've been with them, numerous tech-support members told me not to worry about cap breeches - that a letter would be sent before any action taken.

The BT representative that contacted me last week when I threatened to leave said he felt their course of action was WRONG - and that a lot of staff agreed with him - warnings should have been issued before action taken. He confirmed that senior management in BT have made the decision that this is the way it will be going forward...

I'm with NTL now - I'll be looking at my download limits, but I feel with the abundance of material out there a cap will always be an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I went 70MB over my 30GB cap....they are gonna throttle me for sure!

I was just thinking that the best solution would be to have the NTL package and also retain the stupid BT service. That way I could totally abuse BT and when they throttle me I could switch to NTL and take their 120 gb. This seems a good plan to me, now if only the wife could see things my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

the best solution would be to have the NTL package and also retain the stupid BT service.

another alternative would be to get a life and turn off the computer and go for a walk or something..

ucdperson wrote: »
    another alternative would be to get a life and turn off the computer and go for a walk or something..

I wonder what such a smart UCD person is doing on a fine Saturday morning reading posts about throttling on a message board. Why don't you start your own thread and call it dumb comments or something. Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Blindpew wrote: »
    I wonder what such a smart UCD person is doing on a fine Saturday morning reading posts about throttling on a message board. Why don't you start your own thread and call it dumb comments or something. Idiot.

Blindpew, no offense but he has a point. I dont really think you understand getting throttled is not the end of the world.

But yes, getting NTL as an alternative when you get throttled is not a solution, I think. At least not a good one. You see, NTL's cap is 120 gb and, at the moment, bt's seems to be around 100gb.

That's 220 gb. I still dont think you will have enought but even if you do the cost will be too much.

I am guessing that you have given it some thought and realized that even if you move to another provider and run away from dreadful BT you will still get throttled that is what you have come up with this solution...

I told you also that if you want to leave BT they wont stop you from doing it even if you have just "signed" a contract with them.

Anyway I am wondering what are you going to do when you get to the end of your contract and you are free to go... what your decision will be..
    now if only the wife could see things my way.

I dont think she is the only one...

I suppose that Smart or Irish Broadband are not available in your area?

If you are willing to pay that much then you might be better off with Eircom and one of their business packages... you will def save money.

Well to get NTL as well as bt would only cost around 70 euros a month, but you are right, even the combined caps would probably not suffice. I was going to get Smart before but the rep told me it would take about 6 weeks with no internet at all before I could get connected. I don't know if this is still the case. My other problem is that all the bills are in the wifes name so I am not able to order any service without her approval. It's all very frustrating.
    I'd still wait untill after the promised speed increases to see what's on offer even if I could move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭SeanW

You cannot take out a new service contract in your own name?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Maybe she has the Bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

ucdperson wrote: »

I'll second the lambasting of this comment - Just shows your blind ignorance ucdperson (not to mention arrogance)

Any self respecting web user will know that with the plethora of media available out there, you could sit at the PC for 3 minutes - grab some some rapidshare / schedule a few torrrents - and go run a bloody marathon...

Dumbass statement.

SeanW wrote: »
    You cannot take out a new service contract in your own name?

She does have the bank account and owns the house. We are not actually married so everything is in her name. Things are not always as simple as picking up the phone and ordering a new service.

I wish I was a kept man.

Keep on living the dream!

I wish I was a kept man.

I guess I'm worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

You dont need the house to be in your name in order for you to be the account holder...

A change of name is not big deal. You only need to fill up the form and that's all. If you dont have your own bank account (which I suppose you do) you can still use hers.

Go to www.btireland.ie/forms and download it, but if you are thinking of cancelling after summer then I recommend you not to.

I wish I was a kept man.

Let's not jump to conclusions. There may be - at least I hope there is - another explanation for the posters difficulties.

You do not need to own your home to take out a service contract to it. I'll give you one example, although I'm in my twenties I'm still living at home :o

But when I ordered broadband, I must have accidentally asked BT to take over the line too, where it had been in my mothers name with Eircom.

Now, the whole telephone+broadband service is in my name. We're probably saving a shedload of money getting a discount on line rental so noone here is complaining. I have been satisfied with all the arrangments to date.

However, I maintain this because I have an income. If Blindpew really is a "kept man" then, of course he may not, and an arrangement like this for obvious reasons becomes a lot harder.

• Advertisement

Anyway, that's enough about my private situation, suffice to say if it were possible for me to get my own account I'd have one.
    To go back to the throttling, I used to have a gripe with the usage meter not working, well now it is working but is still of no use to me or anyone of ye as it only shows the current months usage. Mine at the moment only says 10gbs downloaded. Yet they are throttling on the strength of the last 30 days usage. Surly the usage meter then should reflect the last 30 days. There are obviously some very bright people working for BT. Surly they should make it easy for people to track their bandwidth use. They need to say exactly what the limit is and provide a means for people to track it.

Here's a question for you broadband gurus: There's been a bit of talk in this thread about switching to an unlimited business line (fair usage policy, I know), so how exactly would a chancer like myself who doesn't actually have a business go about doing this?

Bear in mind you're talking to somebody whose entire experience of higher learning and indeed life has been geared towards history and politics and is completely and utterly ignorant of all things business related, so clear step-by-step instructions would be appreciated!

Everybody on the internet likes to talk down to people, here's your chance to do it without causing offence :)

If they have a "fair use" policy then the tagline "unlimited" or no cap is mute...the bottom line is there IS a cap on your usage. Try downloading a terrabyte in a month and see what your ISP will say to you.

Fair use is the most blatant example of mis-selling a product i have ever seen.

No argument here

I know of folks who've said they ran private/home businesses and got the 12MB service.

I didn't think there was a 12meg service from esat... if there is they're not advertising it.

Unless you mean the upcoming Eircom one, which weighs in at a whopping €169 per month. Too rich for my blood.

I'm talking about Ercom 12meg, BT's 8meg should be obtainable if you're a smart cookie.

If I were the smartest cookie of them all I wouldn't be able to get the 8 meg, the exchange I'm on is, in technical terms, completely retarded. I have to wait for the Eircom upgrades in June before I can get higher speeds.

Eircom and esat are my only options too. Sorry state of affairs considering I'm five minutes away from Stephen's Green.

Well, both BT and Eircom offer a business package, or in the latter case, a range of business packages going from 3mb to - in ADSL2 enabled exchanges - 12mb.

IIRC I read a story here from someone who had been throttled on BT, that they just went ahead and ordered a business package.

Of course they say "Fair Use" and it's a very vague term, indeed it is like an invisible line in the sand, but for an expensive business package, I would imagine it is well higher than the stated limits for residential packages.

Of course by "well higher" it's up to subjective interpretation - double the residental limits? Probably. 100GB each way per month? Possibly. 150? You might get away with that too. Maxing your connection out both ways 24/7 all the time? They might not be too pleased about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

Throttled again. I reckon as soon as I went over the 100gig mark within the last 30 days. On the last day in april my usage meter read 80 gigs.

Since my usage meter now reads 21gigs I will ring up tech support and see what they say.:D

looks like 100 gig is the max. not bad considering the cap is supposed to be 30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement