Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

PotBelly wrote: »
    Throttled again. I reckon as soon as I went over the 100gig mark within the last 30 days. On the last day in april my usage meter read 80 gigs.

Since my usage meter now reads 21gigs I will ring up tech support and see what they say.:D

looks like 100 gig is the max. not bad considering the cap is supposed to be 30

I suppose we should be happy to be able to use the internet as we choose for 2 weeks out of every 8. At least they havn't made it four weeks throttled and one week on. We should really be paying them more for this privilage. What a great service they provide. Bt will surely win the ISP of the year award this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm watching my usage daily now...so BT have had the desired effect, warning people.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Same here. I'm hovering at roughly 90 gigs for the 30 days (maybe a little more, can't tell since they won't show us the rolling 30-day stats).

Phlann wrote: »
    Same here. I'm hovering at roughly 90 gigs for the 30 days (maybe a little more, can't tell since they won't show us the rolling 30-day stats).

Whilst it's admirable to have such self control to hover at 90gb for a month, I don't think being unthrottled is of much advantage if you can't download anything.

Well, it means I can browse at normal speeds, watch youtube vids without waiting half an hour for them to load and if I actually need to download something I've got some leeway to do so.

I don't like this business anymore than you do, but we're stuck with it so we might as well get used to it.

• Advertisement

I suppose you are right, I'm going to buy a laptop and start driving around the local estates to see if I can pick up a signal. It's the only way to go now I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Blindpew wrote: »
    Whilst it's admirable to have such self control to hover at 90gb for a month, I don't think being unthrottled is of much advantage if you can't download anything.

HAHAHA i keep coming onto this thread hoping that maybe you've copped onto yourself. But in the eternal words of Michael Barrymores ex-wife "I'm not at all surprised!!"

You cant download anything in 90gb? Have you stumbled upon THE ROOT , is there one zip file called "the internet" ??

briantwin wrote: »
    HAHAHA i keep coming onto this thread hoping that maybe you've copped onto yourself. But in the eternal words of Michael Barrymores ex-wife "I'm not at all surprised!!"

You cant download anything in 90gb? Have you stumbled upon THE ROOT , is there one zip file called "the internet" ??

No, my point was that if someone downloads 90gbs in a week or so that they are probably going to be into high quality movies and so would be bored silly for the other three weeks watching youtube. I just didn't think it was worthwhile stopping at 90gb when maybe you could get 110gb. It's just my opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

90gigs isn't that hard to d/l in a week but in order to preserve our precious 8mg speed we need to ration. On a 30 day rolling cap for 100 gig - 3.3 per day.
    As one day jumps off the end a new day begins eh:)

I am starting to write down whats on my usage meter on a daily basis now. This was more of an experiment for me to see if they would throttle twice in 2 m onths without making a single phone call to me.
    This wont happen to me again.

If I have the time I might code it into a little app that sits on my desktop:D

It was actually about two and a half weeks, I thought I was changing to Magnet so i went on a bit of a downloading spree. I stopped when Magnet told me they couldn't give me broadband after all... just in time too.

I'm not that bothered about it anymore, really. I'm always downloading stuff but I rarely have time these days to just sit around and veg, unfortunately. It's annoying but it's not going to impact upon my quality of life.

• Advertisement

Brian twin obviously only ever uses his connection to ping his better half. Must be sad being half a person needing all that reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Brian twin obviously only ever uses his connection to ping his better half. Must be sad being half a person needing all that reassurance.

Nah.. I think that he just has better things to do in life

I dont think I have ever reached 100 gb either. In my opinion I find it difficult to reach that limit. I mean, I know it is possible but I dont really understand how you can find the time to watch all those movies... and I have seen people downloading more than 35 gb in 1 single day.

Bohrio wrote: »
    Nah.. I think that he just has better things to do in life

I dont think I have ever reached 100 gb either. In my opinion I find it difficult to reach that limit. I mean, I know it is possible but I dont really understand how you can find the time to watch all those movies... and I have seen people downloading more than 35 gb in 1 single day.

You're right, I've watched probably less than half of what I've downloaded. That's why I'm not too bothered about the throttling now.

One of the reasons my d/ls were so high over the last few months was because I got this crazy notion in my head about replacing my DVD collection with HD copies.

Total waste of bandwidth, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who was downloading for utterly trivial reasons like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm on a business line and couldn't be happier, no throttling, no extra charges and i've well passed 100GB's already this month.

Like was said, its very easy to over 90GB in a week. For all those peope using the "get a life" line. Cop on to yourselves would ya, I mean how much of a life do you have reading this? Or watching TV, or listening to music or playing games? Seriously, how are you reasoning that people that go over 90GB in a week don't have a life.

Heres a simple breakdown:

5 x 1080p Movies = 40GB
    2 x double disk DVD9 Games = 32GB
    10 x American TV shows in HD = 12GB
    Normal Internet usage/browsing = 6GB

Well said L31mr0d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

You choose to insult anyone and everyone who does not agree with you. Instead of slagging BT off about throttling people why not do something constructive and get a job? If you signed up with BT you agreed to the service they provide and if your not happy then move on. I really dont think you have any grounds to argue and if went to court you'd lose so give it up. stop moaning and except the consequences or even better move on to a new provider who dont CAP your service.

You choose to insult anyone and everyone who does not agree with you. Instead of slagging BT off about throttling people why not do something constructive and get a job? If you signed up with BT you agreed to the service they provide and if your not happy then move on. I really dont think you have any grounds to argue and if went to court you'd lose so give it up. stop moaning and except the consequences or even better move on to a new provider who dont CAP your service.

He actually choose to insult me by insinuating that I had no life and should cop myself on. It should be pointed out that this thread is about throttling, not hill walking or lifestyle. When I signed up with BT they were known as Esat and no one in Ireland had broadband. I don't think their now famous T & Cs even existed then. Plus I'm not going to pay them 150 Euro to cancel a contract that runs out in Aug. By the way I only ever moan during sex.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'm on a business line and couldn't be happier, no throttling, no extra charges and i've well passed 100GB's already this month.

Like was said, its very easy to over 90GB in a week. For all those peope using the "get a life" line. Cop on to yourselves would ya, I mean how much of a life do you have reading this? Or watching TV, or listening to music or playing games? Seriously, how are you reasoning that people that go over 90GB in a week don't have a life.

Heres a simple breakdown:

5 x 1080p Movies = 40GB
    2 x double disk DVD9 Games = 32GB
    10 x American TV shows in HD = 12GB
    Normal Internet usage/browsing = 6GB

I hate to say it but business customer will be throttled too... very soon probably.

Now you have entered a new contract with BT so you are stuck with them for a good few months.

5 movies and 10 american shows in a week that's about 20 hours of video..

3 hours per day, considering people work on average 8 hours and that they sleep the same amount of hours that leaves 8 hours per day, not considering the time you spend having dinner and the time it takes to get to work which will be around 1,5 h that leaves 6.5 h left.

20 hours of video that's an average of ~3 hours per days.

You have 3.5 hours left although its possible you will catch up during the weekend but from what's there I dont really see much of a life!

And I havent even counted the time you will spend playing those 2 16 GB DVD games!

So please just be honest...

Phlan made a point, most of the times WE including me, download unnecessary things...

I said it once, on average, BT customer usage never reaches 2 gb.

And this is nothing... watch out with ilegal downloads, since last month, BT and all other ISPs are obliged to provide to 3rd party software companies reporting fraudulent use with all necessary details, for example, if they get a warning from one for ex microsoft they will temporarily disconnect you and warn you but IF YOU ALREADY ARE THROTTLED that ends up with INMEDIATE disconnection AND possibly, you will be receiving a letter from Microsoft too... so be careful!

And that my friend sucks!!! and I am the first to say it that I hate it.

You're a great man with the numbers Bohrio. You should be working in the BT billing department. Maybe then they'd get them right.

He actually choose to insult me by insinuating that I had no life and should cop myself on. It should be pointed out that this thread is about throttling, not hill walking or lifestyle. When I signed up with BT they were known as Esat and no one in Ireland had broadband. I don't think their now famous T & Cs even existed then. Plus I'm not going to pay them 150 Euro to cancel a contract that runs out in Aug. By the way I only ever moan during sex.

So with all those downloads you can still find time for sex ;)

Anyway I told you that if you want to leave BT they will let you go, no cancellation fee.

• Advertisement

By the way I only ever moan during sex.

Why is that? T&C that you didnt know about before you took the plunge ;)

Why is that? T&C that you didnt know about before you took the plunge ;)

Lol.

I hate to say it but business customer will be throttled too... very soon probably.

Huh... I'd be very interested to see what the upper limit on their 'unlimited' connection is. 300gigs, maybe?

Phlann wrote: »
    Huh... I'd be very interested to see what the upper limit on their 'unlimited' connection is. 300gigs, maybe?

I agree with Bohrio that BT may cap business customers as well in the future, they must have good reason to suddenly decide to cap customers. Why else after all this time would they start logic behind method? What ever you or anyone else thinks nothing you say or do will change or stop BT or any other provider

What ever you or anyone else thinks nothing you say or do will change or stop BT or any other provider

I really don't need to be told that, I've been pretty reasonable about all this. I'm just curious where they'll decide to draw the line for customers with the unlimited connection.

Comreg (or whoever) really needs to get a handle on all this in the near future imo. I don't care if there are caps, but the service should be advertised honestly. If the cap is 100 gigs, say that. If the unlimited service actually has a limit, don't call it unlimited while quietly hoping that nobody will download too much!

I know that from a legal point of view they're not doing anything wrong at present but it all seems a little disingenuous all the same.

What ever you or anyone else thinks nothing you say or do will change or stop BT or any other provider

This is starting to seem like an episode of Doctor Who, The ISP's armed with Iron Clad T&Cs are taking over the country. All illegal downloading must stop.
    The only thing that might beat them is, if illegal downloads are stoped the ISPs may find that there is not as big a demand for their products thus depriving them of the one thing that means everything to them, money. Once deprived of their sustainence they will quickly disolve and get wash down into the sewers where they belong.

20 hours of video that's an average of ~3 hours per days.

You have 3.5 hours left although its possible you will catch up during the weekend but from what's there I dont really see much of a life!

And I havent even counted the time you will spend playing those 2 16 GB DVD games!

So please just be honest...

Are you taking the piss or what? Because I watch 3 hours a day of Movies and TV I don't have a life? Pray do tell Bohrio what worthwhile endeavours you spend your evenings engaging in. I'd imagine 3 hours of TV an evening is the AVERAGE for most households, the only difference is I don't have to waste 20 minutes of every hour watching adverts. I seriously am interested to hear of the wondrous life Bohrio lives whilst he polishes his unused broadband modem and goes about his philanthropy for all of mankind
    And this is nothing... watch out with ilegal downloads...

i'll just tap my nose and say i'm not worried about that in the slightest.

Also, you're, again, talking out of your arse about throttling business customers, because I personally know the monthly download limits of a number of companies around Dublin and most break 200GB on average per month. The company I work for, due to being a dev company and having fairly lax network restrictions, breaks 500GB easily a month.

Furthermore I'd ask people to take EVERYTHING bohrio says with a pinch of salt, so far he has yet to provide one shred of proof to back up any of his outlandish claims regarding BT's T&C's or future policies.

I'd say Bohrio is a mad scientist with a giant abacus and a blackboard who spends his evenings concocting impossible mathemathical equasions in an attempt to scare away all other BT users. When everyone else has left he'll strike himself and download the entire web in one foul swoop and save the lot to floppy disc.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss or what? Because I watch 3 hours a day of Movies and TV I don't have a life? Pray do tell Bohrio what worthwhile endeavours you spend your evenings engaging in. I'd imagine 3 hours of TV an evening is the AVERAGE for most households, the only difference is I don't have to waste 20 minutes of every hour watching adverts. I seriously am interested to hear of the wondrous life Bohrio lives whilst he polishes his unused broadband modem and goes about his philanthropy for all of mankind

i'll just tap my nose and say i'm not worried about that in the slightest.

Also, you're, again, talking out of your arse about throttling business customers, because I personally know the monthly download limits of a number of companies around Dublin and most break 200GB on average per month. The company I work for, due to being a dev company and having fairly lax network restrictions, breaks 500GB easily a month.

Furthermore I'd ask people to take EVERYTHING bohrio says with a pinch of salt, so far he has yet to provide one shred of proof to back up any of his outlandish claims regarding BT's T&C's or future policies.

To the first part if you dont really know the answer then my point was made.

Yes I am sure your company downloads 500 gb and even more per month, there is no doubt about it, but first, how much do you think they pay monthyl and second, how much of that usage is due to ilegal downloads?

I remember posting a few months ago warning people about this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055155688&highlight=cap&page=2

Nobody seemed to listen and now it has happened. I think that's proof enough.

It will happen to business too, specially to Small business and to those people whose usage is not legitimate.

If you want more proof let me know please...

Blindpew I will warn you not to go on. As I said if you want to leave BT LEAVE. They will not hold you to terms. Another thing, I remind you that BT can still charge you or even permanently disconnect you so you should be happy with your current situation. I mean, you never know what's next, do you?

• Advertisement

To the first part if you dont really know the answer then my point was made.

Owww, mysterious... thing is you can't think of anything that you do that somebody else wouldn't view as a waste of your life. I'm happily married, live in a great apartment where all my windows look out on scenery, I walk everyday to a job I love and in the evenings watch HD movies with surround sound with my wife. Whereas you seem to spend your time on these boards preaching the end is coming for all BB sinners lest they repent immediately and cease their wicked ways. Now who's the one the wasting their time?
    Yes I am sure your company downloads 500 gb and even more per month, there is no doubt about it, but first, how much do you think they pay monthyl and second, how much of that usage is due to ilegal downloads?

As a favor I've provided technical support for a few companies around Dublin and pretty much every company has at least one PC packed with illegally downloaded movies, music and software (its usually the PC their old sysadmin was using). Most companies are breaking the T&C's on nearly all MS software they have installed. I think if you actually knew what you where talking about you wouldn't phrase all your replies as questions.
    I remember posting a few months ago warning people about this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055155688&highlight=cap&page=2

Nobody seemed to listen and now it has happened. I think that's proof enough.

It will happen to business too, specially to Small business and to those people whose usage is not legitimate.

If you want more proof let me know please...

how does the quote go "Economists have predicted 10 of the last 5 recessions". Anybody can make vague predictions about the future without providing any hard data. Sure I could prophecy "Ireland will go to war"... then all I have to do is sit back and wait, even if I die and 200 hundred years from now it happens I'll be proven right.

My problem with you Bohrio is you provide no data regarding dates, download limits, companies already throttled, people who have already been contacted... etc you seem to just latch onto rumors and then start making vague predictions and providing calculations you've just pulled out of the air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement