Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Bohrio wrote: »
    Just to make things clear the usage will not be reset the first of the month. The line will go back to normal as soon as your usage has gone below a certain amount of gbs.

I understand that its very annoying but remember that, up until now, you have been downloading as much as you wanted and never been cut off, charged or throttled.

I wouldnt want you as my door neightbour!

The first part of your statement doesn't make a lot of sense to me, how can ones usage go below a certain amount of gbs when one is only barely connected? Secondly Bt are in the broadband business as long as any one and yet they're still messing around with eircoms ancient phone lines. If they didn't have such large contention ratios our next door neighbours would be safe. I don't need BT telling me what I can and can't do, the wife does that, and people should stop excusing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

yet people wonder why they have slow speeds?

ye lads are gas

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Ardmacha, while I understand what you're saying, I don't think you can deny that it's still a pretty poor business model. Like the gent above me said, they shouldn't be relying on eircom's exchanges if they're looking to provide a modern, competitive service. I can only assume that they're not looking to provide that. There's no excuse for limiting your service to 3mbps these days, they have the resources to offer far more.

And the testimony in this thread should be ample evidence that the 30gig cap is insufficient for many users, I doubt if we're the only ones feeling the squeeze right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Blindpew wrote: »
    The first part of your statement doesn't make a lot of sense to me, how can ones usage go below a certain amount of gbs when one is only barely connected? Secondly Bt are in the broadband business as long as any one and yet they're still messing around with eircoms ancient phone lines. If they didn't have such large contention ratios our next door neighbours would be safe. I don't need BT telling me what I can and can't do, the wife does that, and people should stop excusing them.

Any DSL operator with a widespread (for this country) offering are messing around with eircoms lines. And if you don't want them telling you what to do, why did you agree to the T&C's? T&C's which they seem to be giving massive leeway on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What a shambles BT have become for a company that showed such great promise a few years ago. It was bad enough throttling people until months end, though why I was throttled I don't know as my usage meter says I wasn't online at all, but it would now seem that they have broken the throttle cable and can't get us going again. All they were offering to begin with were some of the lowest download speeds in the world with their 3mb "Deluxe Package", but now the Deluxe package only delivers twice dial up speed. They should really think of getting out of telecom market if they can't deliver a proper service.

lol

esat is easily the best BB available in ireland

• Advertisement

Phlann wrote: »
    There's no excuse for limiting your service to 3mbps these days, they have the resources to offer far more.

What are these resources that will allow them to do this?

Kahless wrote: »
    Any DSL operator with a widespread (for this country) offering are messing around with eircoms lines. And if you don't want them telling you what to do, why did you agree to the T&C's? T&C's which they seem to be giving massive leeway on.

Well I have been with BT since their infamous No Limits days and have had broadband with them for the last four years. Foolishly last summer I changed the line rental to them, which means I have a years contract with them now so can't immediatly leave. A Rep from BT actually called to the house last year and told me to my face that the caps didn't matter and that they knew people exceeded them. I think that having used their service unlimited for the last four years unquestioned and having been told it was okay to do so, that I am not wrong to assume that the T&Cs were irrelevent.

Kahless wrote: »
    What are these resources that will allow them to do this?

Money, perhaps? I'd have trouble believing that a company of the size of BT can't afford to roll out a similar service to the one Smart have been providing using their own equipment.

I'm admittedly not up to speed on the logistics of that, maybe you'll know more about it, but is there any reason which renders them unable to follow suit? Or is just a question of them being unwilling to invest in it?

Phlann wrote: »
    Money, perhaps? I'd have trouble believing that a company of the size of BT can't afford to roll out a similar service to the one Smart have been providing using their own equipment.

I'm admittedly not up to speed on the logistics of that, maybe you'll know more about it, but is there any reason which renders them unable to follow suit? Or is just a question of them being unwilling to invest in it?

Smart only provide such a service in a few areas.

Well I have been with BT since their infamous No Limits days and have had broadband with them for the last four years. Foolishly last summer I changed the line rental to them, which means I have a years contract with them now so can't immediatly leave. A Rep from BT actually called to the house last year and told me to my face that the caps didn't matter and that they knew people exceeded them. I think that having used their service unlimited for the last four years unquestioned and having been told it was okay to do so, that I am not wrong to assume that the T&Cs were irrelevent.

It's one thing for them to ignore people exceeding the cap a bit, but when people go more than 3.3 times the cap (which appears to be the point where they take action), it's taking the piss.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of that, Kahless, my understanding is that they're attempting to roll that service out to new areas as and when it becomes possible for them to do so.

Why can't esat, like Smart, make it available in some areas with a view to expanding in the future?

They're taking the piss is what they're doing. Eircom and Esat have been getting away with providing sub-standard broadband services in this country for way too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

my gripe is that the previous standard has always been 1Mb = 10GB cap, 2Mb = 20GB cap, 3Mb = 30GB cap, 4Mb = 40GB... yet with this new 8Mb service we have what? A 30GB cap? Why would BT nearly triple the download speeds from 3Mb/s and not increase the cap 1 iota?

They're taking the piss is what they're doing. Eircom and Esat have been getting away with providing sub-standard broadband services in this country for way too long.[/QUOTE]

Given that everything in this country is so sub standard it's not surprising that the telecoms are also. But the sub standard 3mb service was a hell of a lot better than this new 15kb sub sub standard service. How the hell can it take all day to fix the throttle, what are they doing in BT besides spying on peoples downloads.

How the hell can it take all day to fix the throttle, what are they doing in BT besides spying on peoples downloads.

Is that the official line? That they're just fixing it?

I haven't spoken to them but got the impression from this thread that we'd be throttled for some time as some kind of punitive measure!

Well I hope it's only a temporary blip, it can take 4 or 5 weeks to get Smart connected and that's without any broadband. Still, if left on this speed for long it wouldn't be much of a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lol

esat is easily the best BB available in ireland

which just goes to prove how ****e off ireland is for proper broadband services

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

my 2mg line is still throttled also, someone mentioned that the lines would me unthrottled April 1st which is what I was expecting but someone else mentioned April 20th, has anyone actually been in contact with BT themselves for a definative date?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

L31mr0d wrote: »
    my gripe is that the previous standard has always been 1Mb = 10GB cap, 2Mb = 20GB cap, 3Mb = 30GB cap, 4Mb = 40GB... yet with this new 8Mb service we have what? A 30GB cap? Why would BT nearly triple the download speeds from 3Mb/s and not increase the cap 1 iota?

I called BT Sales today about transferring my current service to LLU 3MB, but they said it was unavailable until the summer at least :(. I asked her about the CAP and throttling and she said the service they offer was 3MB but you can get up to speeds of 7/8M, basically you sign a contact for 3MB with a limit of 30GB.

I think if anyone is still getting throttled you should really be contacting BT.

I would ring them accept for the fact that two hours on hold listening to their crap music would tip me over the edge. You'd get no answers in any case and at the end of the day their going to do what they see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

slave1 wrote: »
    my 2mg line is still throttled also, someone mentioned that the lines would me unthrottled April 1st which is what I was expecting but someone else mentioned April 20th, has anyone actually been in contact with BT themselves for a definative date?

When I rang BT I got through within 5 minutes and the chap told me that it certainly will not be a day but probably will not be a month. He told me to expect it back around the 20th of april. This chap was a smug arswhole and I am praying that he just said that to rub it in and put me in a bad mood.:(

• Advertisement

I would ring them accept for the fact that two hours on hold listening to their crap music would tip me over the edge. You'd get no answers in any case and at the end of the day their going to do what they see fit.

Blindpew, what answers do you want? If you went over the limit and its throttled then you have no one but yourself to blame. I read in an earlier post you run a business so really you should be on a buiness package with no cap. You have being a BT customers for years you say so they must be doing be something right for you not to have cancelled yet, like maybe not charging if you go over the limit ;). Stop moaning, before you signed up many year ago you would have to have agreed to a contract which i'm sure you did and read :rolleyes: so you agreed to everything.

I can't see anything but them continuing to throttle accounts and so far it seems to be people who have downloaded 100GB or more. We confirmation on this thread so any BT who have being throttled call and post up the explanation you get from customer care.

Any one a Eircom customer have this happened? I'm never go over my cap but curious to know just incase :)

Well aren't you a good Little Devil, I bet Eircom put gold stars on your bill every month for your obedience.

I never download 100GB so i get a couple each month. If you decide to cancel dont to eircom, dont want them following BT and throttling us because your running a business on a residental line ( is that not illegal )?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Blindpew wrote:
    Well aren't you a good Little Devil, I bet Eircom put gold stars on your bill every month for your obedience.

Well you've certainly attained your award for internet usage :pac:

You should be thankful you're not getting throttled once you go 1 byte over the cap, never mind 70GB+! Some ISPs (e.g. Digiweb) are much stricter regarding this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

just to clarify, the cap for uploads and downloads is separate.

From the support FAQ:
    "For example, if you have BT Broadband Option 1 then you are entitled to download 10GB of data per month as well as uploading 10GB per month."

Full details here:
    http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=179&p_created=1084814523&p_sid=daC98b*i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OTImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPTIyNCwyMjcsMjQyJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9My4yNDImcF9wYWdlPTI*&p_li=&p_topview=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm not long out of a 15Gb per rolling month cap with lastmile, Yes, your download speed was throttled to 60kbps whenever you downloaded 15Gb in the last 30 days, had to wait about a week for the stats to reduce. Ye guys should count yerselves lucky ye're allowed 100Gb in a month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

How can anyone complain at been throttled for going over the cap by 300+ % ? Terms and conditions mean nothing it seems.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

With respect to all those commenting on the general "serves you right" postings etc, can you please start another thread for what are unconstructive comments relating to the spirit of this thread.
    Can we leave this thread to folk on BT who have been throttled and want to discuss, cheers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

d22ontour wrote: »
    How can anyone complain at been throttled for going over the cap by 300+ % ? Terms and conditions mean nothing it seems.

:rolleyes:

well they mean nothing when you've been told by the sales rep that they mean nothing, as some have. and they mean nothing because they've meant nothing since i signed up in 2004.

i was about to go out and buy a new router because i thought it was faulty. this is completely unusable. i'm using my phone plugged into my computer to post this because the bt keeps disconnecting.

is that what's happening to everyone else? the speed drops to nothing until you reset your router, and then works for a few more minutes?

i bought a phone with wifi because the 3 network's internet was so unreliable and i wanted to use my good old reliable bt broadband instead. now i'm using my reliable 3 phone through my computer because my bt is so bad :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    is that what's happening to everyone else? the speed drops to nothing until you reset your router, and then works for a few more minutes?
    Its reasonably stable in between frequent drop outs. Not as frequent as every few minutes though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement