Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also if they give you any guff about not being a business, spend €40 (€20 if done online) and register a business name with the companies office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Also if they give you any guff about not being a business, spend €30 and register a business name with the companies office.

Class...

What do you need to do?

http://www.cro.ie/en/business-registration-business-name.aspx
    Forms to be completed

To register a business name, submit one of the following forms, along with the registration fee (€40 for paper filing/€20 for electronic filing), to the CRO within one month of adopting the business name:

* Form RBN1: for an individual
    * Form RBN1A: for a partnership
    * Form RBN1B: for a body corporate

The forms can be downloaded from the Forms section of the site.
    How to register your business name online

In order to file a business name application online (available at www.core.ie), please see - Registering Business Name Online - Sole Trader BN_DL9.pdf (0.85 MB, Adobe PDF), as an example.

There is also information on Frequently Asked Questions with regards to filing online.

Please see Info Leaflet 14 leaflet_14v3cweb.pdf (0.33 MB, Adobe PDF) regarding business name registration.

So you will need to complete form RBN1 and send off €40 or do it online for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I would have thought it would be easier to move to another provider, e.g. UTV unlimited or Irish Broadband DSL as mentioned above. Registering a business name could mean the taxman investigating your business earnings and other unforeseen issues arising.

Not a chance of that happening tbh unless you trade under the name which you won't be doing.

I have registered many business names, purely to get domains and the tax man does not care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I'd say if people manage to get business pakages and start downloading excessive amounts that it won't be too long before they get throttled there as well. BT are yeaterdays company as far as I can see, they are stuck in 2003. I never thought I'd say this having had bad experiences in the 90s with them, but I think it's time to go back to Eircom. They don't seem to throttle any one for using the internet like these cowboys do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Blindpew wrote: »
    I'd say if people manage to get business pakages and start downloading excessive amounts that it won't be too long before they get throttled there as well. BT are yeaterdays company as far as I can see, they are stuck in 2003. I never thought I'd say this having had bad experiences in the 90s with them, but I think it's time to go back to Eircom. They don't seem to throttle any one for using the internet like these cowboys do.

Up to this point BT never throttled anyone, nothing stoping Eircom from doing the same a few months down the line maybe. If you've been throttled with BT you would probably be better off looking for unlimited products. UTV with the unlimited upgrade, IBB is unlimited AFAIK and Smart are unlimited if you can get them.
    Obviously these products have Fair use policies, but you would be much more within your rights to download serious amounts with them.

All these "unlimited" packages have get out clauses if you are taking the piss out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bond-007 wrote: »
    All these "unlimited" packages have get out clauses if you are taking the piss out of them.

Yes of course, but short of getting a business package, its better than just switching back to Eircom to put yourself in the same position if they ever decide to put the fear into the downloaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Blindpew wrote: »
    I'd say if people manage to get business pakages and start downloading excessive amounts that it won't be too long before they get throttled there as well.
    Dunno about that. I don't know what the contracts are like but you may be guaranteed full bandwidth all the time with a business package, i.e. something you were never guaranteed with BT's home ADSL.
    They don't seem to throttle any one for using the internet like these cowboys do.

They are not cowboys (well, not regarding this issue anyway :) ). They are fully within their rights to throttle people who push their luck downloading far over the suggested cap. You agreed to the T&Cs when you signed the contract. They are not doing anything legally or morally wrong. They could have started throttling people whenever they felt like like it.

You, on the other hand are bordering on libel with such accusations.

If you hate BT so much would you stop moaning here and just leave them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

They are not cowboys (well, not regarding this issue anyway :) ). They are fully within their rights to throttle people who push their luck downloading far over the suggested cap. You agreed to the T&Cs when you signed the contract. They are not doing anything legally or morally wrong. They could have started throttling people whenever they felt like like it.

Yup, they could have started throttling people from 1mb over the cap, or worse still, charging for it - all well within their rights (and eircom/anyone with a cap too btw)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

still throttled today, are the rest of ye still being throttled also?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55574750&postcount=210

Nope, with the pointles arguments going on in here no one seemed to notice.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55574750&postcount=210

Nope, with the pointles arguments going on in here no one seemed to notice.

I thought you had posted that picture for nostalgic reasons. So it would seem they are going to unthrottle people one by one. They must be using that gb a day system then, I won't be back on till about August in that case.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Still throttled here too. And still waiting for smart to transfer me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

i'm still throttled, but i've already arranged to move over to a business line. BT support said it should get enabled mid next week and there'd be no downtime. The business BB is actually cheaper then the residential BB atm.

Also, to all those people that think 100GB per month is a lot, its not. I'm the sysadmin where I work and we go through well over 400GB a month where I work on just one of our lines. The BT support guy I was talking to said that he used to work in residential and said it was common for people to break over 500GB per month and not get throttled which is why he was surprised that they'd be throttling me for just going over 100GB. I ended up telling him I didn't care the reasons for being throttled and just wanted to move over to a business line.

I ended up telling him I didn't care the reasons for being throttled and just wanted to move over to a business line.[/QUOTE]

So what was the criteria for getting the business line, did they ask you to prove you had legit use for it.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Also, to all those people that think 100GB per month is a lot, its not.

Erm, for a typical household it is an awful lot.

ProTip: Not every household with broadband downloads torrents of entire TV series! I would be quite confident in assuming the majority of households do not use P2P filesharing at all. I'm not really into downloading TV shows or films at all, so I really have to be pushing it to reach 20-30 GB. In a month of normal internet useage I probably wouldn't even reach 10GB down.

It's pointless comparing to how much a business would go through - they are completely different situations with different requirements, which is why ISPs offer businesses different services designed for such higer demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Erm, for a typical household it is an awful lot.

ProTip: Not every household with broadband downloads torrents of entire TV series! I would be quite confident in assuming the majority of households do not use P2P filesharing at all. I'm not really into downloading TV shows or films at all, so I really have to be pushing it to reach 20-30 GB. In a month of normal internet useage I probably wouldn't even reach 10GB down.

It's pointless comparing to how much a business would go through - they are completely different situations with different requirements, which is why ISPs offer businesses different services designed for such higer demands.

my point was that the individual I was talking to at BT basically told me to not move to a business line as my usuage wasn't odd for residential lines and that the throttling was probably due to some other issue. He said to contact tech first before moving but I was sick of ringing back plus a business line is cheaper, has a static IP and unlimited cap.

Also, I think you'll find the "typical" household does quiet a bit more downloading than you'd think. Most average users know how to use P2P, most gamers will know about torrents and past that you will find a minority that are aware of using usenet. Plus even if the parents don't do a lot of downloading their kids will. I was over at a family friends house and a song came on the radio that the mother liked and without bating an eyelid asked her daughter to download her that album to listen to over dinner. She had to wait for her brother to finish watching the latest youtube videos and catching up on the new content on his friends bebo pages.

plus a business line is cheaper
    How is this? €40+line rental for business > €56 which is the residential package, and still throttled today......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Does that business price include VAT? Business prices often don't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

slave1 wrote: »
    How is this? €40+line rental for business > €56 which is the residential package, and still throttled today......

You don't have to pay line rental if you get a ULMP unbundle on a BT Business LLU line, so it is technically cheaper :)

But the line is then no good for calls. So it depends on whether you want to be able to use the phone for calls as well as bb.

You don't have to pay line rental if you get a ULMP unbundle on a BT Business LLU line
    okay
    But the line is then no good for calls
    not okay for me, looks like I'm going to ride this current throttling for a week or so and if it does not work out then UTV unlimited is the best option where I am.
    Do BT really think that losing high download customers will improve their financial performance, silly if they do.
    About 5/6 minutes to make this post.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

slave1 wrote: »
    Do BT really think that losing high download customers will improve their financial performance, silly if they do.
    About 5/6 minutes to make this post.....

ah yes the do actually, based on the current business model that ISP's use it costs an ISP more to keep a very heavy user (lets say using 100GB's a month) then they make from the user a month, so getting rid of the users and/or limiting is actually better for there bottom line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 _FRANK_

yes i've been throttled disaster really no more downloading for me bo-ho! I'd like to know what is the longest period you've been throttled i'm on 3 days so far.just as well i've got 1tb of music,games,vids to keep me happy.on another note i had an account with bt before,i sent a cancelation form to them thinking that they would cut me off oh boy how wrong was i. 4 months later they were still billing me even though i had moved address.so send those termination of service forms by registered post.just my 2 cents.

based on the current business model
    well their model had better take a balanced view, because if/when folk move, they will have a higher migration figure not to mention the lost revenue stream from telephone calls so they'll be looking at market loss as well as revenue loss - albeit with improved costs from your post

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

are you on a wi fi system if somebody could be using all your banwith hence the slow down ?
    normally most of the isp wil send out a warning e-mail to say that u have broken the barrier and u will now be billed extra.I have not seen them cut off their revenue stream by killing your speed?

The only people interferring with download speed is BT by their throttling act.
    I'll bet no one is hacking our wi fi. Almost two weeks I'm throttled now with no explaination from BT. No e-mail ,no phone call, my stats counter still says I have uploaded and downloaded zero gbs. No indication as to how long this situation will go on for. When I post my displeasure here I am told I'm moaning and to move to another isp. I can't leave them as I have a contract till september after signing the phone line over to them last year. If I went over the cap, which I don't know if I did, they have still acted very badly in the way they have handled it. I fully intend to leave them at the soonest opportunity and would advise anyone not signed up to BT to steer clear of them.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    my point was that the individual I was talking to at BT basically told me to not move to a business line as my usuage wasn't odd for residential lines and that the throttling was probably due to some other issue. He said to contact tech first before moving but I was sick of ringing back plus a business line is cheaper, has a static IP and unlimited cap.
    Sure sales would say anything, and they obviously weren't aware of this new regime of throttling. The business line does seem like a good deal (if it is including VAT...?) if you don't need a phone line though.
    Also, I think you'll find the "typical" household does quiet a bit more downloading than you'd think. Most average users know how to use P2P, most gamers will know about torrents and past that you will find a minority that are aware of using usenet. Plus even if the parents don't do a lot of downloading their kids will...

From my experience with family and friends and other people I've fixed PCs for, outside of student houses or homes of friends who also have interests in computers, there's a lot of households who just have the one family PC and are either not knowledgable about or are not interested in any P2P stuff. If the children are of primary school age or younger this is even more likely. And Bebo (et al) users can be mutually exclusive from any other sort of computer use - especially with dem wimmen :). It's also surprising how many people are still on dial-up :eek:

P.S. Usenet ain't just about the alt.binaries! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement