Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT throttling users over the limt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 _FRANK_

try vpn here's one
    https://www.relakks.com

might cost a bit but hey lets get back at bt and square things up abit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Blindpew wrote: »
    The only people interferring with download speed is BT by their throttling act.
    If you go over your download limit then they have every right.
    Almost two weeks I'm throttled now with no explaination from BT. No e-mail ,no phone call, my stats counter still says I have uploaded and downloaded zero gbs. No indication as to how long this situation will go on for.

Why should they explain it, you went over your limit. Why don't you stop moaning and call them, you seem to still not understand what you did. I would suggest you read the T&C's online.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

@Little-Devil, your posts are not contributing to this thread, you seem to be a bit pissed that this thread even exists with your constant "moaning" "read the t+c" comments etc, unless you are a BT customer with a genuine interest because you've been throttled or think you are likely to be throttled would you not be better off with meaningful posts elsewhere, take this as constructive, it's not meant to be a put down

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The only people interferring with download speed is BT by their throttling act.
    I'll bet no one is hacking our wi fi. Almost two weeks I'm throttled now with no explaination from BT. No e-mail ,no phone call, my stats counter still says I have uploaded and downloaded zero gbs. No indication as to how long this situation will go on for. When I post my displeasure here I am told I'm moaning and to move to another isp. I can't leave them as I have a contract till september after signing the phone line over to them last year. If I went over the cap, which I don't know if I did, they have still acted very badly in the way they have handled it. I fully intend to leave them at the soonest opportunity and would advise anyone not signed up to BT to steer clear of them.

I totally disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Almost two weeks I'm throttled now with no explaination from BT. No e-mail ,no phone call, my stats counter still says I have uploaded and downloaded zero gbs. No indication as to how long this situation will go on for.

I will say this for the last time.. will you call tech support and let them know please?

If Your counter is showing 0 bytes you need to get it sorted. If you dont want to call and get this sorted then please stop complaining about it.

I think I told you 3 weeks ago to do so, did you do it, what did they say?

I am afraid that you are complaining for no reason as you are making BT look like the "bad guy" when its actually you, on the other hadn, the solution to your problem is on getting that counter fixed.

Slave1
    not okay for me, looks like I'm going to ride this current throttling for a week or so and if it does not work out then UTV unlimited is the best option where I am.

UTV uses BT´s equipment... dont be so sure that they wont throttled/charge you as well if you go over the limit. I am sure that a few UTV customer´s have gone over the limit and that BT has informed UTV about this, its just a matter of time for them to act accordingly... Remember that UTV has a fair usage policy as well...
    Do BT really think that losing high download customers will improve their financial performance, silly if they do.

Loosing maybe 100 customer´s (out of maybe 100.000) who, them along only could be taking around 30% of their total bandwidth???? Well, let me see... yes!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Bohrio wrote: »
    I will say this for the last time.. will you call tech support and let them know please?

If Your counter is showing 0 bytes you need to get it sorted. If you dont want to call and get this sorted then please stop complaining about it.

I think I told you 3 weeks ago to do so, did you do it, what did they say?

Thats a bit closing the stable door after the horse has departed. I have rung them several times over the last four years about the usage meter not working. Once they fixed it, three other times it remained broken. If it had been working during march I may have still gone over the cap but at least I would have had a guideline. There's no need to fix it now as Im not likely to download 30gb at my current speed. Any way why should I have to tell them to get their act together.

Thats a bit closing the stable door after the horse has departed. I have rung them several times over the last four years about the usage meter not working. Once they fixed it, three other times it remained broken. If it had been working during march I may have still gone over the cap but at least I would have had a guideline. There's no need to fix it now as Im not likely to download 30gb at my current speed. Any way why should I have to tell them to get their act together.

That is not logical, are you connecting from a different places using your bb username-router? is there anyone using your username?

You need to get that investigated... in order for you to monitor your usage they need to provide you with a working tool... if it doesnt work then how are you suppose to check your usage?

Now, if you didnt call them before then that´s your responsibility as you should have called them to let them know, now that you have they need to get it fix and find out why it is happening...

That is not logical, are you connecting from a different places using your bb username-router? is there anyone using your username?

You need to get that investigated... in order for you to monitor your usage they need to provide you with a working tool... if it doesnt work then how are you suppose to check your usage?

Now, if you didnt call them before then that´s your responsibility as you should have called them to let them know, now that you have they need to get it fix and find out why it is happening...

I'm fairly sure no one else is using my connection as I could always get the maximum download speed up to recently. As regards the usage tool, that's a service that they provide and is up to them to have the proper software in place to provide such a service. They were well able to throttle people so they must have access to a working usage meter system, why don't we?
    Seeing as they have never applied the download cap before I do think they should have warned people that they were going to start.

I'm fairly sure no one else is using my connection as I could always get the maximum download speed up to recently. As regards the usage tool, that's a service that they provide and is up to them to have the proper software in place to provide such a service. They were well able to throttle people so they must have access to a working usage meter system, why don't we?
    Seeing as they have never applied the download cap before I do think they should have warned people that they were going to start.

Your monitor tool will aim to your username and port, theirs can check either, its obviously more advanced and can either check the port or the username. BT cant offer the same to their customer´s as eircom can change the port without notice.

I feel that you are forgetting to tell us something important...

With the exception of a known issue the monitor tool will stop working only when you use your bb details from a different location (therefore another port id) and, again, as it is perfectly explained on their T&C its up to you to monitor your usage therefore If you detect a problem you have to tell them. From this I can say that I think that you knew it wasnt working, probably for a long time, but you didnt say anything as you thought that as it wasnt showing any usage you were safe and that they will never throttled you.

Oh, and just because you moved your PSTN to BT doesnt mean that your BB tied up to another 12 month contract unless you have signed for a total talk package.

Nevertheless, if you want to leave, talk to Customer Care and as BT didnt need to place a new order for broadband (which is what ties them up to Eircom) they might let you leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

slave1 wrote: »
    @Little-Devil, your posts are not contributing to this thread, you seem to be a bit pissed that this thread even exists with your constant "moaning" "read the t+c" comments etc, unless you are a BT customer with a genuine interest because you've been throttled or think you are likely to be throttled would you not be better off with meaningful posts elsewhere, take this as constructive, it's not meant to be a put down

To be fair, the constant blaming of BT for customers going 3.3 times over the limit and calling them con-artists and rip-off merchants isn't contributing either.

• Advertisement

I suppose that complaining here everyday isn't getting me anywhere, but seeing as I have just paid, in advance, for the next two months, I think I at least have the right to air my disatisfaction with the current service. Plus I think we may be providing a service to other customers that may have been about to sign up with BT. They may think twice if they read this thread and seek an unlimited service from the start, it's no good moaning when they throttle you, no one cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Heh, Im with BT now and I love to see the hogs finally get their comeuppance *waves walking stick*

I think we may be providing a service to other customers that may have been about to sign up with BT. They may think twice if they read this thread and seek an unlimited service from the start, it's no good moaning when they throttle you, no one cares.

Why do you keep saying the same thing over and over... BT never offered you an unlimited service, you assumed you had one but you dont!

I think that on the BT page it cleary says 30 GB Download limit, look:

img_table_bb_deluxe.gif

By saying that you are showing a lack of maturity and style, and the only thing you are doing is giving everyone else the satisfaction of seeing you moaning and complaining...

Anyway, its up to you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

To be fair, the constant blaming of BT for customers going 3.3 times over the limit and calling them con-artists and rip-off merchants isn't contributing either
    Absolutely, these posts are not gaining any ground
    BT never offered you an unlimited service
    And therein lies the problem, BT have actually provided a no cap service over the years because they did not throttle, now a line of their T+C is being patrolled, if you look back across this forum you will be flooded with "I've gone over my limit, do BT take action" type threads/queries.
    Up until the last week or so the fairly constant advise was nothing happens, now something does happen.
    What I'm trying to get out of this thread is what will be the circa cap that BT will start enforcing - even though the T+C state 20/30gig I'm hopeful it will be higher - and when are they "de-throttling" current users who are throttled.
    I'm not happy about being throttled but it's a hell of a lot better than being charged.
    Also this constant T+C, where in the T+C does it say going over will result in throttling, and where does it state the throttling is a reflection of a 30 day rolling period and not calendar month, not to mention the Voyager router they sent out a while back with known "on/off" issues and their incredible lack of management when it comes to billing management.
    Two parts to every story, the bottom line for me is that BT - in spite of their billing issues - offered a low price product with effectively a no-cap regime.
    Now they are starting to enfore the cap, decision time.......

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Absolutely, these posts are not gaining any ground

And therein lies the problem, BT have actually provided a no cap service over the years because they did not throttle, now a line of their S+C is being patrolled, if you look back across this forum you will be flooded with "I've gone over my limit, do BT take action" type threads/queries.
    Up until the last week or so we (as in folk who go over the limit) continually advised that nothing happens, now something does happen.
    What I'm trying to get out of this thread is what will be the circa cap that BT will start enforcing - even though the T+C state 20/30gig I'm hopeful it will be higher - and when are they "de-throttling" current users.
    I'm not happy about being throttled but it's a hell of a lot better than being charged.
    Also this constant T+C, where in the T+C does it say going over will result in throttling, and where does it state the throttling is a reflection of a 30 day rolling period and not calendar month, not to mention the Voyager router they sent out a while back with known "on/off" issues and their incredible lack of management when it comes to billing management.
    Two parts to every story, the bottom line for me is that BT - in spite of their billing issues - offered a low price product with effectively a no-cap regime.
    Now they are starting to enfore the cap, decision time.......

No arguement about that... you are right. T&C advice that you could be charged or disconnected but never throttled... Obviously people, like yourself, prefer to be throttled rather than being charged or disconnected... but that´s another story, they will probably have to modify that aspect of their TCs

This action made by BT could be either a temporary or permanent, we will see...

Let´s just hope that other ISPs dont start doing the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

First of all i'll post and say what i like; you're not the Boss of me or even a Mod. This is form where i and others can post comments? I have interest in the broadband form and always post or reply back to user’s questions or issues with their broadband.

I would suggest you stop highlighting others post or comments, this not the first time i've seeing you do this. I am not the only one who disagrees so maybe you should highlight their post as well.

IF you've being throttled then you need to wait for you're usage to go below 100G before they un-throttle you’re account and if you go back over it within 30 days then it will get throttled again. I know this because i e-mailed the BTsupport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

No arguement about that... you are right. T&C advice that you could be charged or disconnected but never throttled... Obviously people, like yourself, prefer to be throttled rather than being charged or disconnected... but that´s another story, they will probably have to modify that aspect of their TCs

This action made by BT could be either a temporary or permanent, we will see...

Let´s just hope that other ISPs dont start doing the same...

Best thing to do in this situation is to ring them and tell them you are leaving...

Say it straight out that your internet is unusable now and Irish Broadband are going to give you better speeds, unlimited download limit, all at the same price...

They wont be long unthrottling you then :D

And if they dont give in, you have 6 weeks to get your new broadband sorted out...

Life's too short, to be thinking can I download this, oh I better not 30gb limit :D

F£ck that, Bt should be doing everything in there power to please you, plenty of providers out there with decent limits...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads I don't want to see any name calling in this thread, at the end opf the day heavy users are just that and you can't complain when you signed up to a service with a cap then you go over it and then you get throttled/charged/disconnected....you are completely in the wrong dispite what you might think.

We get it it sucks but your unlikely to change ISP's business model from whatever you post in this thread, at the end of the day heavy users cost ISP's more money so they don't really want them.

If you want a better cap then go with a business service (pay more) or go with UTV or Imagine who have a much higher cap/unlimited option.

calling BT con-artists does nothing good, insaying all this I don;t want to see people causing a flame war in this thread by just posting "you should have read the T&C's" or similar

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Best thing to do in this situation is to ring them and tell them you are leaving...

Say it straight out that your internet is unusable now and Irish Broadband are going to give you better speeds, unlimited download limit, all at the same price...

Nah... if you are out of contract then they will most likely say good bye and wish you the best...

if you are still under contract then they will keep you throttled and if you decide to leave make you pay the cancellation fee...

Remember this is not a fault they couldnt fix...

• Advertisement

Nah... if you are out of contract then they will most likely say good bye and wish you the best...

if you are still under contract then they will keep you throttled and if you decide to leave make you pay the cancellation fee...

Remember this is not a fault they couldnt fix...

Dont know about that, I have left 3 different providers in the last 2 years and each one offered me some nice incentives to stay..

Blindpew has been with them for four years, he can leave when he feels like it

He can avail of the 30 day 02 broadband trial for the time being, as he doesnt have broadband ( being throttled so much ), while getting a new provider sorted

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Broadband/Online+offer/

BT reserves the right to take such action as it deems appropriate against customers who violate any conditions of the Acceptable Usage Policy. In such cases, services may be limited, interrupted or terminated after reasonable attempts have been made to contact the customer.

This is a section from the T&Cs, funny that they didn't try to contact me or anyone else before the throttling debacle.

Dont know about that, I have left 3 different providers in the last 2 years and each one offered me some nice incentives to stay..

I have actually been with BT since they introduced the No Limits package about 9 years ago but only signed over the phoneline last summer. It was part of a package so I am in a contract until August.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I'm curious though... is this new policy designed to force heavy users to migrate to a different provider? Maybe I'll sound paranoid but I've suspected since it started. I guess, if we really are costing them, they'll feel they have nothing to lose by squeezing us like this?

If they can see how much we download in an average month I think it's safe for them to make the assumption that we're relatively savvy and would be unlikely to put up with download speeds of 15KBps for up to three weeks. So they must know what kind of reaction this would provoke from the demographic involved.

I'm suspicious, particularly in light of the fact that this is coming at a time when they're bringing in those speed increases they've been talking about for ages. Are they worried that their service won't be able to handle the strain?

He can avail of the 30 day 02 broadband trial for the time being, as he doesnt have broadband ( being throttled so much ), while getting a new provider sorted

But you dont seem to understand that they have done nothing wrong.. there is nothing for them to do... is not like if they have messed around with your bills, or there is a fault on your line...

Phlann wrote: »

I'm curious though... is this new policy designed to force heavy users to migrate to a different provider? Maybe I'll sound paranoid but I've suspected since it started. I guess, if we really are costing them, they'll feel they have nothing to lose by squeezing us like this?

If they can see how much we download in an average month I think it's safe for them to make the assumption that we're relatively savvy and would be unlikely to put up with download speeds of 15KBps for up to three weeks. So they must know what kind of reaction this would provoke from the demographic involved.

I'm suspicious, particularly in light of the fact that this is coming at a time when they're bringing in those speed increases they've been talking about for ages. Are they worried that their service won't be able to handle the strain?

I think that they just want things to go back to normal. Probably they are a bit tight on bandwidth and they need to put things back to order.

15 kB p/s at the end of the month it will come around 30 gb...

And who doesnt say that next month they dont start throttling users over 80 gb for ex.... maybe this is just a warning!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Fair enough. I guess it makes good business sense (although that doesn't mean I have to like it!).

It gets rid of the people who won't change their downloading habits (ie me) and sends a warning to everybody else, most of whom will pay alot more attention to their stats from now on.

15 kB p/s at the end of the month it will come around 30 gb...

And who doesnt say that next month they dont start throttling users over 80 gb for ex.... maybe this is just a warning!

You are correct, at 15kb a cap of 30gb is adaquate. However at 3mb 30gb is ridiculous. At the future promised speed of 8mb it would be a total joke.
    I also don't know where the 100gb cap comes from when the famous T&Cs say 30, are we not jumping to more conclusions?

Phlann wrote: »
    Fair enough. I guess it makes good business sense (although that doesn't mean I have to like it!).

It gets rid of the people who won't change their downloading habits (ie me) and sends a warning to everybody else, most of whom will pay alot more attention to their stats from now on.

It does but its a bit unfair... there are other ways but not so cheap...

I think this is more like a test, but they should be offering an option to pay for extra usage... maybe in a future...

But you dont seem to understand that they have done nothing wrong.. there is nothing for them to do... is not like if they have messed around with your bills, or there is a fault on your line...

Thats not the point though...

I dont care if they have done nothing wrong, point is other providers can give me ( Irish Broadband, Smart ) no limit...

If BT cant match that, then Smart can have my money...

Im with Bt at the moment and I am a medium user 60gb to 100gb a month.

If they throttle me, I will tell them to give me no limit or switch me to business broadband, if they dont I will leave asap..

Others should do the same, which will make them release a package with no limit or one with a decent limit like 100gb...

• Advertisement

I have actually been with BT since they introduced the No Limits package about 9 years ago but only signed over the phoneline last summer. It was part of a package so I am in a contract until August.

They caught you bad...

Give 02 broadband a go until you are back up to speed, free 10gb :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement