Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skipping the country.......!

Options
  • 30-03-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

looking for some legal advice for a friend of mine. This friend of mine moved here 3 years ago bought a house and is now considering going home. However he is over 30000 euro in negative equity in the house he bought. If he decided to leave the country go home to eastern europe to his home, in the EU, and stick the keys of his house in the post to the bank which he owes the money to would the bank come after him for such an amount?

Any assets which he had in his homeland would the bank be able to come after or is it a case that for such a small amount of money, (in irish banking terms compared to Michael Lynn) that they would just write it off as a bad debt?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This is going to be a very common scenario in the next while

From what little I know, Ireland has incredibly tough bankruptcy laws.
    If an Irish person did this, they could take your pension and get a court order to dock your salary.

Your friend is from Eastern Europe so it's going to be a bit tougher. Maybe the bank will write it off, but he'll never, ever get a loan let alone a bank account in this country again.
    I don't know if they'd pursue it.

Is he Polish? AIB has a big operation in Poland and could get him that way

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

He is not polish. If he intended to return home for good and not come back except on holidays..... is he safe is the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'n not sure anyone would want to advise you on this. Tell him to contact his solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Honestly, I'm not sure why you would think this is allowed on here. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement