Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux distro opinions and help needed

• 30-03-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,
    I'm quite new to linux and after recently downloading a copy of pendrivelinux i've decided that i like the features of linux and so i want to install a distro onto my hdd. Now, the problem is i'm being very fussy. I plan to use linux for my technical computer hobbies, programming, web design etc but im also a gamer so i want to keep xp as the most space on my hard drive and i also want to install linux without losing any data from my xp install, is this possible? I am not sure what distro to use but i kind of like the look of openSuse, i've read the step by step guide but i cant make out whether it formats your xp partition or not. I look forward to your replies,
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Most installer CDs now offer to resize your Windows partition to make space for Linux. Best to always back up any valuable data first just in case. It can also use your entire drive but just be sure to read the partitioner's proposal first.

Before resizing, defrag your Windows partition from under Windows. Then you can boot of a live or installer CD. openSUSE is a good choice -- it's very easy to use and has thousands of packages available through the package manager. You'll be able to write to your XP partition using the NTFS-3G module (openSUSE should configure this out of the box; if not, it's easy to do).

With free space available afte the Windows partition, most installers propose to create two partitions within this space: root (denoted by "/" -- it's like the C:\ drive) and swap. openSUSE will generate a summary of partition operations before you actually begin the install. I'd suggest you go for the KDE interface if you want to get a Windows-like feel. If you want clear, simple and easy, install Gnome or Xfce as your desktop manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 geistmorder

Thanks ethernet,
    That was exactly the kind of help i needed, i think i'll go with openSuse so. Right then, time to get to work :D

Advertisement