Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April Temperature Forecast/Analysis.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

DAMN! One day out. I had 13.8c. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

7.7c today, deviation still 0.3 below average, but this should balance out over the next few days.

Mothman's detailed graphs from previous page

apr083.gif
    apr081.gif
    apr081.gif
    apr082.gif
    apr082.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Updated trend:
    AOIM24.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Mean windspeed at Mullingar yesterday was 8.9 knots.

Here is how forecasts worked out:

windguess.jpg

As is the norm, Danno comes out on top, with his forecast just 0.9 kts out!!

Some advice, Don't come to me for a wind forecast, mine was over 10 kts out.

I should be ashamed, but I am secretly proud..:D

Congratulations again Danno. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mullingar, Dublin Airport and Birr data missing today, but the mean is a safe 8.0c regardless. Deviation is bang on average at 0.0c.

Quick recap of forcasts:

AprilMean.jpg

Trogdor or Nemoniod seem to be in with the highest chance at this stage, but Danno chances can't be ruled out either..:)

MM, would you have updated Mullingar rainfall figure..? I should have taken it from the "yesterdays weather" page yester but it slipped my mind.:o
    Cheers.

Thanks MM, On the strength updated Mullingar figures, mean rainfall stands at 36.7mm so far this April, which is 62% of normal. Turning out to be a drier than average at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Previously "paddy.1". Changed it because I hated that name. I am now my prefered wind direction..pacman.gif (though I'll never turn away a good ould Atlantic battering..smile.gif)
    :D
    MM, would you have updated Mullingar rainfall figure..? I should have taken it from the "yesterdays weather" page yester but it slipped my mind.:o
    Cheers.

My figure for Mullingar is 33.2mm

Thought I would post up the Mean S.L.P chart for March 08. The westerly gradient over northwest Europe over the month suggests why much of the region stayed around average temperature wise for the month:

MarchPressure.jpg

Over Ireland, M.S.L pressure values for March were around 4 to 8 mb below normal, which indicates a breezy, cool and wet month generally due to the west north west mean gradient flow.

Chart taken from the 'Climate Diagnostics Bulletin', courtasy of the CPC.
    Archive of Bulletins dating back to August 07 can be found here:)

A reasonably solid 8.1c today, 0.1c above average. No data available from Dublin Airport or Mullingar but value should be ok.

Mean rainfal total up to midnight 27th stands at 42.5mm, which is 71.7% of the 61-90 norm. Driest at Birr & Dublin Airport stations.

Charts graphing Overall Mean up to midnight 28th:

a.jpg

Mullingar figure is an estimate. A drop of 0.1c at this station would bring down to mean to 8.0c, which is bang on average.

Station rainfall totals so far this April:

aaa.jpg

Mean total for April up to 28th is 47.0mm, which is 79.2% of normal. Inland areas of Connacht and North Leinster the wettest areas to date and reflecting the convective nature of much of the rainfall this month.

Down again to a nail biting 8.0c. This figure depends on Mullingar data which remains absent and which I have assumed a value of 7.7c. It may be higher or lower than this.

Regardless, the deviation remains at 0.1c above average.

Mean rainfall total for the month (up to midnight 29th) stands at 48.2mm, which is 81.2% of the 61-90 norm.

Quick reminder of the forecasts:

AprilMean.jpg

Nemoniod and Trogdor in a sweaty showdown today!! Don't fight dirty guys..:D

• Advertisement

Here are what I make out to be high and low temps of the month at synoptic stations. Met Eireann will issue their summary tomorrow.

To add to drama, the highest was 18.1C on 3rd at Kilkenny. Kilkenny closed shortly after, next highest 17.7C at Johnstown Castle also on 3rd, but neither are we usually using this station, 17.4C at Oak Park, next highest 17.2C at Rosslare on 3rd, and finally a station we usually use and still operating, 17.1C at Shannon on 25th.

The min is much more straight forward -2.1C at Casement on 6th.

I think we will go with the highest/lowest temp as per the summery MM, regardless of whether we are using them for the overall mean evaluation. Just keeps it simple and at hand. :)

A quick overview of the month with available data:

Final station means for the month of April 08:

AprilFinalTempAb.jpg

Shannon/Mullingar are estimates, but final values from these station are unlikely to effect the final overall mean, which is a solid 8.1c, and just 0.1c above average. Congrats to Nemoniod, who's guess of 8.2c for this month is the closest to the final figure. Trogdor put up a good fight, and was only 0.2c out.

Final Station Rainfall Totals and overall mean, in order of absolute totals:

FinalAprilRainAb08.jpg

In terms of average distribution:

FinalAprilRainAvg08.jpg

Absolute and average rainfall totals totals for the month indicate that the north-west and northern inland locations received the highest rainfall during April 08. Overall, it was slightly drier than average, with only Belmullet and Claremorris receiving higher than average totals this month.

Temperature chart in order of deviations:

FinalAprilAvgTemp08.jpg

Worked out to be an average month temp wise generally.

EDIT:4.52pm: Update on Station final values: Shannon 8.7c; Mullingar 7.6c

Mean & Deviation remain in tact despite slightly lower mean values from Mullingar and Shannon that was posted in chart above.

Will post up the updated 2008 trend chart later; indications already that we could be entering a warming phase again, but who knows, trends mean nothing.....;)

Met Eireann monthly summary published.
    Highest mean monthly temperature: 9.1°C at Valentia Observatory
    Lowest mean monthly temperature: 6.8°C at Knock Airport
    Highest temperature: 17.7°C at Johnstown Castle on 3rd
    Lowest air temperature: -2.1°C at Casement Aerodrome on 6th
    Lowest grass minimum temperature: -9.0°C at Birr on 15th

Summary will be available on Met Eireann website shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

The final mean temp trend for April
    AOIM30.png

Advertisement