Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is a moderator's post an instruction ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ok, point taken, from now on I shall enforce moderation with strict curt tone.

I still stand by the infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hmmm, maybe it's just me but if someone on a forum starts telling me what to do, I immediately look at the mini-profile on the left to see if they mod that forum. If they do, I take it as instruction, if they don't mod the forum I still consider if they may be right, even if it is back-seat modding.

If the tone is generally light, such as "put away the handbags" I still take it as mod insturciton to STFU! Not all mods are like WWM, we don't all say "STFU n00b" so stringently but I'm beginning to see why that might be necessary :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Hmmm, maybe it's just me but if someone on a forum starts telling me what to do, I immediately look at the mini-profile on the left to see if they mod that forum. If they do, I take it as instruction, if they don't mod the forum I still consider if they may be right, even if it is back-seat modding.

If the tone is generally light, such as "put away the handbags" I still take it as mod insturciton to STFU! Not all mods are like WWM, we don't all say "STFU n00b" so stringently but I'm beginning to see why that might be necessary :D

I think that is the wrong way to go about it TBH.

This is all just opinion but seeing as the Mods stress that they are "users" and "posters", as well as mods, then they should clearly define when they are moderating.
    Otherwise you end up where people are afraid to debate with someone with a mod tag, as they do not know if the person is expressing a personal opinion or moderating them.

As forum posters, their personal opinions/posts should be open to comment, just like everyone else. Having no differentiation between the two makes the mods opinion the law in the forum.

We all read (or should have read) the charters, of the fora that we post in. I would rather not have to recheck the charter, though, everytime that I have a different opinion to the mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

"When is a moderator's post an instruction ?"

Always. Every post from a Mod is an instruction and you should follow it to the letter.

Now, go and make me some tea and bring me my slippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

"When is a moderator's post an instruction ?"

Always. Every post from a Mod is an instruction and you should follow it to the letter.

Now, go and make me some tea and bring me my slippers.
    Your tea is not ready yet
    and these are your slippers???
    strange

tea_leaf.jpg

8shoe.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement