Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Computer Components?

Options
  • 30-03-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi Folks,
    it's time for a computer upgrade, so I wanted to try and build one this time. (for the learning curve mostly.)

I've seen a bunch of american websites that sell computer components cheaply and will ship over here (eg tigerdirect)-but I was wondering does anyone know if it's ok to buy parts from america, since they use 120Volts while we use 220V - i think.

So if I were to buy a powersupply/motherboard/videocard etc etc from the States would I need some kind of adaptor to stop the computer from shorting?

Cheers!
    Rob.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Only the power supply (and monitor) will use different voltages, and PSUs commonly have switches to enable the user to change between 110v and 220v.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its fine to use US parts but be aware that you have a good chance of the items getting stopped by customs. If they catch them they will charge you VAT + import duty on the cost of the items + shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 robulus

Brilliant - thanks FL!

Advertisement