Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing paint from metal fittings

Options
  • 30-03-2008 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Just wondering if this is possible, I painted over brass fittings which I now regret. Can I rescue the fittings or do I need to buy new ones? They are the hinge parts between the door and frame. The paint would be emulsion type.

Thanks,
    X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Xcellor wrote: »
    Hey All,

Just wondering if this is possible, I painted over brass fittings which I now regret. Can I rescue the fittings or do I need to buy new ones? They are the hinge parts between the door and frame. The paint would be emulsion type.

Thanks,
    X

take off the hinges and wash them with a stiff brush or even put them in the dish washer. If it is only emulsion the paint should wash away.

Brass butt hinges and not expensive. It may prove easyer to replace with shinny new ones. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Or get a bale of steel wool and it should shift it and it will give the brass a nice polish also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

gsxr1 wrote: »
    take off the hinges and wash them with a stiff brush or even put them in the dish washer.

Please don't use a dishwasher, not if you want to stay healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

delly wrote: »
    Please don't use a dishwasher, not if you want to stay healthy.

:):rolleyes:

ok.

use the hoover:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Emulsion should just scrape off with a scraper or sharp blade. Soften it first with hot water and a little wash-up liquid. If it's still stubborn some stripper or cellulose thinners will break it down.
    Abrasives like steel wool can tarnish polished brass especially if it's only electroplated, not solid, so use them at your own risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I have tried soaking a couple of them in white spirit turpentine mix. Didn't make a lot of difference. The paint although waterbased seems to be quite tough... I have bought some steel wool so will try and remove it.

I was going to try the dish washer but thought if white spirit doesnt do it, it's unlikely domestic dish washing solutions will... I have also heard if you eat paint it can be bad for your health ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Well since it's water based, white spirits will make absolutely no difference, so you're wasting your time.
    You need a solvent for acrylic/plastic. If the hot water and fairy liquid to soften and then scrape off method doesn't work then some paint stripper will.

Advertisement