Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you donate to a Terry Pratchett Foundation?

Options
  • 30-03-2008 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

When my brother and myself were talking about TP having Alzheimer's we got to wondering about donating money to a Alzheimer's research like he did. (TP donated £500,000 stg to Alzheimer's research). I've got immense pleasure over the years from his books, I've laughed out loud over most of them, when I was younger my parents used to come running down the hall to see if I was ok as I'd start choking from laughing too hard and it doesn't seem to be much trouble to try and help him or people like him in return. Most people wouldn't mind donating small amounts (£1 stg for example) and multiply that by the number of people buying books online it could raise hundreds of thousands.

We thought of doing it through the likes of the online bookstores - Amazon being the biggest that comes to mind although if you know of others please write their names down - by asking amazon to include a "button"/check-box on their pages (when your buying a TP book/related book) that asks if you want to make a donation to the research foundation. It could be a set amount - £1 stg and you could also have a field to enter your own amount if you want to donate more. It would have to be an opt in rather than an opt out button to make sure people don't complain about being ripped off but that wouldn't be hard for Amazon. Also it makes life easier to ask for donations through online bookstores as they already have an online payment system set up.

A second idea was that the publishers could donate £1 stg / 1 Euro for every book sold but this means that those people who don't want to donate have no choice.

Note: I used the currency sterling in the post as I buy online from Amazon and its in sterling.

Finally this is NOT a request for money or would I ever set up such a foundation myself. I'm just curious to see would other people feel it can work and that money could be raised. Even if you think it won't work can you reply to the post as I'd like to see whats the ratio of Yesses and No's to the idea. If enough people/high enough percentage of people think its a good idea I'd forward the idea to the Alzheimer's research foundation.

Advertisement