Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

older game suggestions

Options
  • 30-03-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Picked up an Asus EEE. With a 7" screen and modest specs (900mhz celeron, 512mb ram) its not goiing to play much of the new games. Great excuse to try out some of those I've missed over the years.

Any suggestions?

Note; I'm able to play half life 2 and even oblivion on very low settings on this so I'm looking at games like Quake 3/Half Life 1 or that generation.
    Also, games that don't need a mouse and won't be annoying using the trackpad would be better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Battlefield 1942 and the DC mod

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The first unreal tournament and call of duty 1 are pretty good and should run on that but since it's a fps you would be best to get a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm playing through Grim Fandango and its excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Clive Barkers Undying, you will sh*t your pantaloons /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Thief, The Longest Journey ( one of my all time favourites )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Return to Castle Wolfenstein should also work on the machine. Enemy Territory will also run, and even has a pretty good online following, for a 6 year old game.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Monkey Island, 1,2,3 and MAYBE 4, Grim Fandango, the original Quake, and dare I say it... some of the popcap games?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are a must. They are older (especially SS2) but definatly worth it. I'd also recommend Homeworld 1, the Baldurs Gate series, Freedom Fighters, and theres loads more that i cant think of off the top of my head.

p.s. buy a cheap mouse. Dont try and use the tracker or ball...its a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ peggle ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ah yes, point and clicks are perfect. I have Grim Fandango but never got that far into it. I'lll pick up The Longest Journey too. I almost finished Deus Ex and SS2 so might put them on at a later stage.

Baldurs Gate series I'm playing through on my Dell 1500 in 1680x1050 res so gonna stick with that.

Don't want to go as far back as Monkey Island.

Clive Barker's Undying; almost finished that.

Thief 2, almost completed that one too. Seems there are a lot of games I "almost" finish :)

RTCW; I actually finished that :)

Enemy territory; I won't be playing playing any multiplayer with it, I'll keep that to my main system.

So far I'm going with:

Grim Fandango
    The Longest Journey
    Deus Ex
    System Shock

Regarding that mouse, I'd like to keep to games that don't soley rely on it as its an ultra portable laptop where I won't always have access to a flat surface to use it. But I'm putting on Deus Ex and SS2 anyway, for when I do :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

max payne 1
    max payne 2
    kingpin

that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sam & Max Hit The Road
    Older Need For Speed games (if driving is what you are into) - I would personally avoid the Underground series though...

🤪

mayordenis wrote: »
    max payne 1
    max payne 2

that is all.

completed the max paynes, very mouse dependent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

quarryman wrote: »
    Regarding that mouse, I'd like to keep to games that don't soley rely on it as its an ultra portable laptop where I won't always have access to a flat surface to use it.

Been there done that many a time, and I'm actually looking to 'downgrade' to an EEE myself (after a D620 currently, and many 'more ultraportables' before that, of younger and older vintage: C400, D600, Fujitsui tablets, WinCE lappies, Tosh Libretto, IBM 240X, Portege 7020, etc.).

Forget FPSs, get hold of a small USB joypad (they now make foldable ones that are even smaller than a fag packet). If FPS there must be, given the specs, UT:GOTY still rules about 10 years on :D

I really don't think BF1942 would run that well at all on an EEE. In fact, as for gaming on the EEE, I'd stay away from anything 3D-intensive, as if I'm not mistaken, the 3D perf. is about that of an ATI M8 (as found on Dell C600s, PIII 700 to 1.2Ghz), right?

If you're looking for quick-fix/short-sessions gaming on the EEE, you should have a perusal of the umpteen, most excellent, tiny-footprint freeware on caiman.us ;)

Another tip for 'vintage gaming' on 3D-poor lappies is to head over to gamershell or filefront or 3Dgamers (etc.) and (in this day and age of ultrafast Interweb) download demos of older games, to try and see how they run on the platform first.

ambro25 wrote: »

Forget FPSs, get hold of a small USB joypad (they now make foldable ones that are even smaller than a fag packet).

Are these compatible with most PC games?

I really don't think BF1942 would run that well at all on an EEE. In fact, as for gaming on the EEE, I'd stay away from anything 3D-intensive, as if I'm not mistaken, the 3D perf. is about that of an ATI M8 (as found on Dell C600s, PIII 700 to 1.2Ghz), right?

yeah 1942 ain't gonna happen
    If you're looking for quick-fix/short-sessions gaming on the EEE, you should have a perusal of the umpteen, most excellent, tiny-footprint freeware on caiman.us ;)

Another tip for 'vintage gaming' on 3D-poor lappies is to head over to gamershell or filefront or 3Dgamers (etc.) and (in this day and age of ultrafast Interweb) download demos of older games, to try and see how they run on the platform first.

i'll check it out.

Are these compatible with most PC games?

Depends on the game, the pad, or both. Some games (most PC games, tbh) are joypad-enabled.

Personally, I have a small USB joypad with a built-in "mouse emulator" (the PC / game thinks the input comes from the mouse / touchpad). Handy for FPSs without joypad-specific features/config.

Note that I still don't like playing FPS with it though, but that's just a personal preference. If I had to play a FPS with a pad, I'd always prefer using an xbox pad.

Maybe that's another solution for you: USB adapter and xbox joypad (or another console joypad and suitable USB adapter) - but that would again be moving away from ultraportability.

Personally still, I like action-type games that are playable in short or long installments and I tend to go for games that are easy to control using the keyboard, so racing / flying / strategy ones. Given the EEE specs, I'd expect Colin McRae 1 or 2, IL-2 Sturmovik and Crimson Skies to run pretty well.
    i'll check it out.

Please do :)

I very much favour the "try the demo first" approach, as I am always surprised at what runs/what doesn't run given a lappie specs: I was surprised to learn from you that HL2 runs at all on the EEE, and you yourself might be surprised to learn that Battlefield 2 runs perfectly well (in crappy-res of course :D) on a DELL D600 (PM 1.6, 512 RAM, ATI M9 32MB :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Kiith wrote: »
    Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are a must. They are older (especially SS2) but definatly worth it. I'd also recommend Homeworld 1, the Baldurs Gate series, Freedom Fighters, and theres loads more that i cant think of off the top of my head.

p.s. buy a cheap mouse. Dont try and use the tracker or ball...its a pain in the hole.

Wheres the best place to pick up a copy of SS & SS2?

Im a huge BioShock fan but I've never even played SS!

Would run on an Intel Celeron 1.4Ghz with 512 RAM, right?

comfortably. ebay is your best bet.

Here goes, reference 'gaming on the EEE' thread:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=945

EDIT - and even better, a reference 'gaming on the EEE' Wiki page:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/list:games

:)

EDIT 02 - missed your subsequent post before my first edit, don't I look fresh now :oops:

GTA III runs :eek: Right, that's it... I'm buying a touschscreen one off eBay this week :D

Yep, saw that.

Here's a pretty good list:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/list:games

• Advertisement
Advertisement