Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiat Ducato 1990 1.7 petrol engine parts

• 30-03-2008 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi folks,
    I'm thinking of buying a fiat ducato 1990 camper (camelot). The engine is a 1.7 petrol ducato engine. I'm wondering if anyone knows about these engines, and the availability of spare parts in Ireland? - I don't see that many of them on the roads.
    Anyone know if they are 3 tonne or more?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Diarmaid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

1.7 petrol? are you sure?
    I thought they were 2 Liter.

Personally, I'd avoid petrol (especially if it is a weedy 1.7) and try and find a diesel. Much easier on the old pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 diarmo102

Yep you're right its a 1971 cc, the owner needed to check. Yea diesel would be first choice but this van is in exceptional condition (and price!) - do you know if its over 3 tonne?

thanks,
    d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Spares shouldn't be a problem and I'm sure the're similar to the Peugeot/Citroen, they still appear in scrapyards. Diesel would be a better choice.
    As reguards the 3 tonne question, you'd have to be more specific, is it a conversion or a coachbuilt? how many berths etc.. It's unlikely to be 3 tonne and if it's something like this is't probably closer to the 2 tonne mark.

Hey thanks a mil,
    Yea its the same type van as your link, a camelot factory conversion, 4berth n all the usual addons. Diesel would be better, but the price difference per litre at the moment and the initial price of the van (even with vrt at 13%) is leaning me towards it. An option would be to convert to LPG, putting the tank in the shower area, but got to do my research on that one - got any words of wisdom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

LPG has very much disappeared from Irish forecourts ...probably not worth your while converting it if you can't get the fuel where and when you need it.

• Advertisement

It demends on the miles per year you're planning, I'm sure on an average around of 5000 miles in a year and if it does say 20 mpg your're looking at around €1000-€1500. I guess if it were diesel you'd be looking at a bit less. Not a great difference in servicing costs either...

Yea the lack of LPG services is a factor, I've rang up a good few stations based in the Munster region from this list http://www.ilpga.ie/outlets.htm and some have already dropped LPG.

Hey Stapeler, do you know what this type of vans is like to for campervanning in etc.?
    20 sounds about right on average...

A

diarmo102 wrote: »
    Yea the lack of LPG services is a factor, I've rang up a good few stations based in the Munster region from this list http://www.ilpga.ie/outlets.htm and some have already dropped LPG.

Hey Stapeler, do you know what this type of vans is like to for campervanning in etc.?
    20 sounds about right on average...

A

No first hand experience but I've met a few with similiar machines and all happy. It depends on how many you're going to pack into it. Once you've got the basics like a heater, cooker, running water and a comfortable bed it should be perfect for weekends and holidays.

good to hear :) thats what I'm hoping, a sweet setup for weekends n holidays abroad.

Next I got to go through the drama of vrt and doe/engineers report, sure thats half the craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

We had a 90 Autoquest 400, on a petrol Ducato (20 foot coachbuilt). It encouraged a relaxed driving style, especially on hills. It would sit at 50 to 55mph all day, except on hills. The engine never gave us any trouble at all, except trying to top up the oil (as it was so far down)

I imagine in the smaller Camalot, it would be a bit quicker.

If it's still a bit slow, try to find a Peugeot 505 turbo. The 505 had the same engine as the Ducato, and the Turbo had a turbo version of the same engine. All you then is fit the Turbo!. Oh, the engine was used in rallying as well, so it's fairly strong, once looked after.

Oh, with a Ducato of that era, check the arches, windscreen surrounds, roof water rails, front door hinges, front step wells and rear quarters for rust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement