Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smaller single speed sprocket?

Options
  • 30-03-2008 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I found the action on the single speed a bit... crap, on the aborted Saturday spin, after having ridden fixed for the last year or so. I think its a 17-tooth single speed sprocket, is it possible to get a smaller one? Cant see anything on ebay. I'd like to get a 13t or 14t.

And how do you take it off???

- flickerx (the quitter)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The Langster is stock with a 42-16 ratio (according to their website), the Paddy Wagon I ride is also 42-16... I reckon with a bit of getting used to the single speed as opposed to fixed that you'd be grand on it so long as you weren't aiming for Sally Gap :)

The weather also played a major part on Saturday, so don't think of yourself as a quitter mate, you made the effort at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i've found sprockets hards to find in dublin so i've gotten the last couple here instead.

i'd recommend chromoly over 'alloy' (which is just aluminium) as it lasts much longer. if you go from 17 to 13 be prepared to walk up some hills.

i failed to make the effort yesterday - so you're one up on me anyway. :-P

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

flickerx wrote: »
    ...is it possible to get a smaller one?

You can usually get between 13 and 18.
    flickerx wrote: »

Take off the wheel, unscrew the lockring, replace the sprocket, put the lockring back on, tighten. You usually tighten/loosen the lockring with a hook wrench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Spotted a set of surly single sprockets in cyclogical the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Thanks for the advice and locations. I'll drop down to cyclogical tomorrow morning (if the rain has stopped, jesus christ) and see what they have.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    if you go from 17 to 13 be prepared to walk up some hills.

I think I'll be alright, unless the hills are akin to knockmaroon in chapelizod - the self built fixie I have has a 48/13 setup and I dont find it too bad, although admittedly the only 'hill' i ever tackle on that is the new cabra road, or the overpass cycle lane on the navan road near the new phoenix park apartments.

As I said, that was the first time I tried the single speed, so maybe I need to get in a bit of practice on it, and get used to the existing 16 or 17t. My legs still had the memory of the fixie, and the sensation of the freewheel was not pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 frenchie091

Depends. If it's got splines on it, you can get it off with the appropriate freewheel remover. The cheaper ones tend not to have splines on them for removal, I got stung with this before. If it is a cheap one, you may have to go with destructive removal, which involves battering away with a punch:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=46

Advertisement