Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsonic Shotgun Shells

Options
  • 30-03-2008 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Anyone know where to get them?
    I'd like to give them a go.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Courtlough have them

http://www.courtlough.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I didnt relise that shotguns were super-sonic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

As they are lower velocity you may well have to compensate with lead are you using them for clays or vermin. As JR says Courtlough have them and for a while thats all you could use on the line up there. They take a while to get used to.

Are they much lower velocity.

I had a figure of 1100 for shotguns. Maybe its slightly higher, but to go sub, it would only be a tiny reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Mellor wrote: »
    Are they much lower velocity.

I had a figure of 1100 for shotguns. Maybe its slightly higher, but to go sub, it would only be a tiny reduction

There is a difference in sound particulalry at a distance/down range sounds more like a phump than a bang:confused:

eley hush power 1050 fps muzzel velocity/ observed velocity 850 fps
    Eley Superbs 1450 fps muzzel velocity / observed velocity 1150 fps

Thats looking at Eley.
    http://www.eleyhawkltd.com/compcarts-vipsporting.html

• Advertisement

I'm aware of the difference it sound this is due to the sonic boom.
    I was refering to the energy. Its could be as little as a 20% reduction in energy, if the same weight was used, not massive especially if easier on the old ears, 32g would need to be upped to 38.5g if the same power was needed,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I used those eley subs once at courtlough. They're nice and quiet, very mild on recoil but you'll find yourself being a bit lost initially for lead and time for the shot to reach the point of aim. I wouldn't use them on any animal, I'm afraid they won't deliver the necessary energy for a clean kill and they're loaded with the hardened clay shooting pellets as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Actually, I remember reading an article about how subsonic rounds were the answer to high pheasants and the like. Can't remember where, or the logic behind it, but it made sense at the time. Also not too bad for rabbits if you're intelligent about it and want to eat the critter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jbarry

Cheers lads
    Anyone know if they'll cycle in a semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

jbarry wrote: »
    Cheers lads
    Anyone know if they'll cycle in a semi?

Benelli & Beretta semi-auto's which can cycle cartridges from 24g to 52g will recycle them - I've seen it .....not sure of other semi -autos

• Advertisement
Advertisement