Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chipping VW Passat

Options
  • 30-03-2008 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

I've been told by different people I should get my Passat(03 100bhp) chipped. Has anyone here done this to a passat? Is it sore on the engine? And can the insurance companies find out it was done in the event of an accident? From what I hear, its quite common on VW diesels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Passat 100bhp are one of the best to chip you'll be looking at about 40+ bhp extra with no extra fuel being used if done properly.

If your engine is in good nick regularly serviced etc. it will improve the running.

Never heard of an insurance company use remapping as a fault in the event of an accident normally human error.

Anyway they would have to put the car on a dyno to find out ,if they were even interested never heard of it though. If theirs not much damage done your car and you are reallllly paranoid you can have your car put back to stock by your remapper as it can take up to a week for an assessor to examane your car.

It's basically untraceable trust me:)

Dj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

It's basically untraceable trust me:)

Dj.

its actually easy to check once you hook the ecu up to VAG-com, so think you are being a bit missleading there. That said however, assessors are very unlikely to check this unless you cause a MAJOR accident, in which case they might! oh and the 130ps diesels respond much better to remapping as they have a larger turbo.

My advice would be: if your after a decent upgrade in performance get it re-mapped properly, cost is about 500eur. and on the downside you'll have shed loads of torque so will ware you clutch out quicker. (and as said previously the 130ps unit has more scope for performance gains so i'd get one of those if i was a diesel head!)

oh and dont get one of those cheapo "chips" as 90% of them just cause your fuel mix to get richer and not a lot else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

passat is built like a taxi , so if you chip it fully , you'll get a 30-40 hp gain with a drop in mpg to about 27.5-30 at Best...

really worth it ?

S.I.R wrote: »
    passat is built like a taxi , so if you chip it fully , you'll get a 30-40 hp gain with a drop in mpg to about 27.5-30 at Best...

really worth it ?

surprisingly enough your consumption doesnt disimprove as drastically as that. in some cases an improvement was found, (from a proper remap). it depends how you drive, but you wont be seeing anywhere near 27 mpg, that is unless you drive around in first gear. what mpg are you averaging now?

ramanujan wrote: »
    its actually easy to check once you hook the ecu up to VAG-com, cost is about 500eur.
    That said however, assessors are very unlikely to check this unless you cause a MAJOR accident, in which case they might!!

Ya it can be checked in vag-com but you have to drive it for miles and go through all the gears to get an accurate reading 10% or so. Most of the main dealers I know only use their manufacturers diagnostics which don't have vag-com functions.

Ohh and 500eur to remap a vw is very dear maybe an Evo or similar for that price, you can get the same quality remap for 3-400 on the vw depending on how much the remapper pays for his files or does them self etc.

I'm driving a remapped Skoda Superb at the moment same engine as the VW not costing me any more on diesel but it is costing me a bit more on tyres the dam thing spinns in 2nd in the dry and 3rd in the wet so you can see why, plus I use it for work and put up very high milage.

Just on the last note in responce to ramanujan, I've a quick question for ya, have you experienced a suitation where an assessor has checked and used a remap against a client in the case of an accident? I haven't yet but maybe you have some direct experience of it,

Cheerz

Dj.

• Advertisement

Just on the last note in responce to ramanujan, I've a quick question for ya, have you experienced a suitation where an assessor has checked and used a remap against a client in the case of an accident? I haven't yet but maybe you have some direct experience of it,
    Dj.

In England they seem to be a bit stricter, with the risk assessors looking at the likely suspects such as the 1.8t and 1.9tdi. I was told my an engine mapper in the UK (can pm his name) that theyc can just verify that the checksum on the ecu is correct for the vehicle. However if the vehicle is involved in a big accident i know for a fact that a few of the big insurers such as Lyods of London send the wrecked cars ecu away for analysis, they look for markers where the ecu has been remapped.

Irish insurance industry tends to follow whatever happens in the uk, thats them damn actuaries, so a similar practice will follow of here.

That said, they are 100 times more likely to check out the ecu if you have a FMIC, exhaust et al.

So basically its highly unlikely at the moment!

this was on a forum i post on ages ago:
    Mr Jeffries had been driving a 2002 registered Astra Turbo sports car when he crashed into a parked car on Trafford Road at 11.35pm on June 16th.

Mr Jeffries was arrested at the scene with a female passenger and charged with driving with undue care and attention but in a landmark case Mr Jeffries was also charged with driving without insurance due to his extensively modified car.

Mr Jeffries had not informed his insurers N.I.G about modifications he had performed to his car including alloy wheels and an engine power upgrade.

N.I.G had checked the car for alterations and found the car to be producing in excess of 20% more power than it was originally built with and Mr Jeffries had failed to inform them accordingly.

Mr Jeffries was filed with additional charged of "Gaining pecuniary advantage", "Driving without a valid insurance certificate" and "Failure to notify".

He was banned from driving for 12 months, given 120 hours community service and ordered to pay £4300 compensation and court costs totalling £840.

N.I.G commented "We are becoming increasingly aware of people altering there vehicles without informing there brokers/underwriters and we will take appropriate action to stop this trend from spreading".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

What happens if you crash your TDI golf/passat or MK5 Gti and the test it and find its was producing more power than when originally built and you havent remapped it? as i know of a good few diesel and petrol vag cars that were proven to be putting out anythnig up to 30/40bhp more than quoted figures

A 130TDI passat that was 150

140 tdi golf that was 176

A 150 tdi golf that was 177

A MK5 GTI with 225 bhp (in fact all BWA engine coded MK5 GTIs are putting out in excess of 220bhp)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Do it. You know you want to.

Seek out my previous thread on my experience with my golf.
    You will be happy.

Point your web browser thing at chippedire.com
    Arrange a booking. Tell him Mark sent you.

Ryo u doing free adds or what ya went off topic J.
    Interesting info ramanujan thank's for that, but their is a new upgrade from a certain pro tool for remapping which leaves the origional checksumm on the eprom chip so the modified file can't be seen by any tool yet! or so they say. I'm sure they will catch up soon but thats what upgrades are for I guess.

Dj.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

FFS, it'd be cheaper just to tell the sodding insurance co...
    I've only heard good things about chippedire, but he's a but too far away for me.
    Another alternative might be to check out the DIY boxes at http://www.chiptuningdirect.com/
    I was quoted €400 for a box for Herself's TDI caddy

• Advertisement

Ya no some one who's put one in a skoda 25% more power, the down side is they are hard to sell the box second hand when changing your car people don't seem to trust them used. So it's just a choice between the box at €400 for 25% more power with good fuel economy, or remapping for €300 giving you 45% more power with good fuel economy. The last one was my preference.

Dj.

Advertisement