Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Shorts?

Options
  • 30-03-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Right, I've decided my bum needs a lil more comfort, particularly with summer and longer distance runs coming. The cheap Nalini bibs I have are grand, but I'd maybe like something a little higher spec.

What do you lot wear, and what do you recommend?

Also, lesson was really learned yesterday, and leg warmers will be purchased asap :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

This chick's bum is happiest in Sugoi's. A lot of our cycling friends swear by Assos, if you can afford them, they are meant to be the most comfortable.

My hubby went riding this morning and only wore shorts :eek: And I got him some fantastic longs from NZ before we arrived! Came back and said 'I should have worn the long fingered gloves' :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Assos are nice to your ass!

Expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Avoid Pearl Izumi - really terrible.

Best www.endura.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Assos is the best if you can stretch that far for a pair of shorts,
    Team replica stuff is also great,

www.probikekit.com

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Actually, decent sterling exchange rate at the moment means Assos ain't as expensive as they used to be. FI Uno are the cheapest in their lineup but very good shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I've got Endura stuff, no complaints. Great price!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

ive got some team csc shorts and they are great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

jetsonx wrote: »
    Avoid Pearl Izumi - really terrible.
    I bought Pearl Izumi Attack short last year for about 70 euro. I'm very happy with them - served me well on Wicklow 200 and Ring of Kerry cycle last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'd go for Assos. I did all of last year in Cannondales, they are not too bad. Get the ones with the most panels. I have a pair of Adidas bib shorts that I haven't got to wear yet. They look comfortable :) so I'll report back when the weather warms up.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

daymobrew wrote: »
    I bought Pearl Izumi Attack short last year for about 70 euro. I'm very happy with them - served me well on Wicklow 200 and Ring of Kerry cycle last year.

agree here, pearl are widely known as a premium 'value' brand and all the gear I have has stood the test of time and comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Let us know how the adidas work out Raam, I was thinkin of getting the Responce Bibshorts. Assos are a bit out of my league.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Let us know how the adidas work out Raam, I was thinkin of getting the Responce Bibshorts. Assos are a bit out of my league.

I think this is what I have...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26557

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hmmm...white! I think I would need to be very tanned and italian looking to get away with those!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Hmmm...white! I think I would need to be very tanned and italian looking to get away with those!

that's what i was thinking. that and the danger of visible pubes shadow (VPS). careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Those Adidas are up in Assos Territory in terms of price it would seem, but I guess I'm worth a few quid -for the comfort :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep 'em coming!

That's the look I'm going for...Eurotrash!
    Now all I have to do is hope for some sun.

Got a white pair myself recently, but I despair of ever wearing them. They'll probably be rolled out for one weekend in July knowing my luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

RobAMerc wrote: »

gotta wonder what the catch is? Fake? used? seconds? obsolete stock? if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. But if you get a kosher pair, please do let's know :)

kenmc wrote: »
    gotta wonder what the catch is? Fake? used? seconds? obsolete stock? if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. But if you get a kosher pair, please do let's know :)

I've heard of these before alright. They are legit. From the Assos website:
    S Series powered by ASSOS
    S Series products are intended for those who are new to the sport of cycling and/or to the ASSOS world. Being an R&D company, ASSOS constantly moves forward and pushes the boundaries further with the result that, eventually, an ASSOS product is replaced by a better, more technological, one. By simplifying the so far existing product, optimizing manufacturing costs and no longer bearing R&D costs, the price of the product can be lowered. This allows newcomers to the sport of cycling to benefit from a proven technology. Welcome to the world of S Series powered by ASSOS!

In other words, older designs sold under a different brand name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

Stay away from the Pearl Zephr jacket. It may be able to convert to a gillet, but the zips are very finicky and wouldn't keep out a few drips of sweat never mind a light shower as they claim.

Shorts wise, adidas, nike, cannondale and nalini (being my favourite) Although they all seem to wear thin after awhile.

I was wondering what is the next best thing to Assos that people have found. I haven't quite justified a pair yet, although another couple of spins with my bits in bits and I may splash the cash.

Advertisement