Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

86 toyota starlet. screeching??

Options
  • 30-03-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭

hi i've an 86 starlet (irish car, not a jap import) 1 litre. when i initally rev it and drive after starting, there seems to be an annoying screech off the engine. only happens when i rev the excelerator. this is when i have engaged the choke. seems to come and go. anyone know what this is??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

You need a new fan belt. Its screeching when its cold. Any garage will do this for you cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Would it be your alternator belt? It'll squeal if it's too loose, particularly in wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

if its either belt, just thinking why does it occur when i accelerate. the belts are moving anyway (when its just running)???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Fan belt I imagine. Same circumstances on an old Accord I had

if its either belt, just thinking why does it occur when i accelerate. the belts are moving anyway (when its just running)???

The belt will be driven off a pulley on the crankshaft, so when you accelerate, engine speed increases and the belt is pushed along faster.

It could be your pulleys if they're worn, but most likely it's the belt.

Not sure what it's like to do these on an old Starlet, but on my Mk2 Golf the alternator is mounted to the block on a hinge, then adjusted along a rail. You undo the bolt on the rail, then slide the alternator down to undo the belt. Should cost you no more than €5 and 20 minutes of your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Spray some WD40 on the belt if you want to stop the noise - but it won't stop the belt slip. As stated already, you need a new belt. WD40 will just stop the noise frome wrecking your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

Think the starlet had an electric fan, probably the alternator belt though.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Spray some WD40 on the belt if you want to stop the noise - but it won't stop the belt slip. As stated already, you need a new belt. WD40 will just stop the noise frome wrecking your head.

Are you for real?

The belts work on friction, not slip. Plus a petroleum-based product will break down a rubber one. Good advice if you want to see him stranded by the side of the road. There is such a thing as belt dressing but for such a cheap fix there's no point doing anything but replacing the belt.

i've just bought the car:) and will be making a 3 hor trip in it. so is it advisable to get it looked at before i hit the road?? dont wanna be stranded...

i've just bought the car:) and will be making a 3 hor trip in it. so is it advisable to get it looked at before i hit the road?? dont wanna be stranded...

It's a quick, cheap fix. Better to get it looked at, or even better, swop it out yourself. If it snaps, the alternator stops generating power and you've got until your battery runs out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

klaus23 wrote: »
    Are you for real?

The belts work on friction, not slip. Plus a petroleum-based product will break down a rubber one. Good advice if you want to see him stranded by the side of the road. There is such a thing as belt dressing but for such a cheap fix there's no point doing anything but replacing the belt.

Like I said - it will stop the screech - and I also stated.....
    crosstownk wrote:
    you need a new belt

A light spray to the belt as it is turning will sort it. It won't deteriorate the belt instantly - it will still last a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hi i've an 86 starlet (irish car
    Great to hear about pre '87 Irish cars still on the road. Fair play to you. :)

ok do i get both belts looked at to be on the safe side??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

tis no harm I suppose. Especially with an older car.

Advertisement