Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cabled BB providers in N.Dublin that don't have a cap

Options
  • 30-03-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Do they exist?

Bit ticked that BT are enforcing their cap now, so I think i'll jump ship. Just wondering if there are any cabled BB providers in North Dublin (damn you southies *shakes envious fist*) that don't have a cap. I'm not really interested in wireless and I don't want to pay a grand for a leased line.

I'd rather have a 4Mb line with no cap then a 8Mb line with a 30GB cap.

Anyone any advice? I'll rep+ accordingly for all the advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I presume by cabled you mean just not wireless? Because UPC (NTL&Chorus) cable have caps. With Dsl Smart is probably your best, if you can't get them IBB are also unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I presume by cabled you mean just not wireless? Because UPC (NTL&Chorus) cable have caps. With Dsl Smart is probably your best, if you can't get them IBB are also unlimited.

correct, by "cabled" I mean DSL providers that use a cable to provide DSL, be it via the 2-pair or fibre optic phone line or TV coax cable.

I've checked Smart, they don't service Swords. I don't think they serve anywhere north of the liffey that doesn't have a "Dx" area code. I'll look into IBB. Is there anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You're definitely limited in your options! First off, there is no such thing as limit-less. If you're downloading at full capacity 24/7/30 you'll get cut off (even on Smart!). "Unlimited" operators will often throttle you to avoid having to disconnect/charge you.

After that, UTV offer an "unlimited" add on @5.99/mo, but there are some conditions attached that are hidden somewhere on their site (I think it was that you got bundled in with other heavy downloaders at peak times, if you're a heavy user). With that option you won't have to worry about charges/disconnections, but you will be getting slower than your chosen 'up to' speed).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

thing is I don't download consistantly. I might go 2 weeks without downloading much then download 40GB's in a day. I'd like to just have the freedom to not have to worry about caps. I don't mind having slower speeds if it means I won't get capped for going over some arbitrary byte value.

Advertisement