Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing a half acre site in Limerick

Options
  • 30-03-2008 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I am building a new house on a half acre site, and i need to fence off the two sides and the back of the site and dont know what style of fence is best.
    Am just looking for advice if anyone has has this experience.
    I will need something strong as there are cattle around the site and need to keep them out.
    Not too sure what type of fence is best suited but i will probably put up an electric fence too.
    I appreciate all the advice and help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

If aesthetics isn't a large issure then the usual style of fence used is wooden posts placed roughly 2 or 3 metres apart with 1 or 2 rows of barbed wired along the top and then sheep style wire underneath , however if you could be exclusively guaranteed that it would be only cattle then 3 evenly spaced rows of barbed wire would also do the job . There is no need for electric wire.

But I would recommend the sheep wire incase the farmer does put other things in there or if you have children running around too . Don't worry about the top rows being of harm to any children , I grew up surrounded by the stuff and never once did anything more than puncture a wellington or two. By the time they are tall enough to reach it they will know fine well how to deal with it.

Also if you do chose to go for this style but do care about aesthetics it is simple to mask them with any sort of bush you see fit yourself , doesn't need to be a climber or anything , just simply plant it on your side of the fence. Although go for something not particular edible in a cows eyes for obvious reasons.

Probably best go to your local farm supplier and ask there , they will easily put you into contact with one of the numerous fencing contractors I'm sure there will be in your area, get it built properly and it will easily last 20 years , especially if planted shrubs take over most of the work from it.

Advertisement