Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing simple shots!

• 30-03-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Just home from a night of practice down the local. One of the regulars came in, a great thrower. Used to play county etc. I play with him most weekends practising. Keeps you on ones toes.

Had 157 left he had 38, I throw treble twenty, treble nineteen and then PAUSE?!!!!! Why the **** do I pause, I know how to check 157 out but I paused and then after a few seconds of upsetting my rhythm throw for Double Twenty and land it on the wire away from the bed and he hits his 38 in the first dart. So annoyed with ,myself :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Unlucky, but as they say darts is as much a mental game as it is physical. You should have known in your head what you needed, and should have known what to go for if you missed your first dart!
    I see why you are angry with yourself all the same, after hitting the T20 and T19 your rhythm should have got you the D20, all I'd say is brush it off rather than beat yourself up about it!! One thing is for sure it won't happen again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HITMANHEALY

Healio wrote: »
    Unlucky, but as they say darts is as much a mental game as it is physical. You should have known in your head what you needed, and should have known what to go for if you missed your first dart!
    I see why you are angry with yourself all the same, after hitting the T20 and T19 your rhythm should have got you the D20, all I'd say is brush it off rather than beat yourself up about it!! One thing is for sure it won't happen again!!

Its also because of the first 2 darts u took out, like if it was a checkout under 100, u would not hesitate bang straight away, 157 is a hard checkout so usually people pause as we,ll to compose them selves, but we be all pro's if we were banging them kind fo scores out on a regualr basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

The most satisfying thing about a big finish is banging that double in - the two darts before it will barely be a fleeting memory but you'll remember every action of that throw to hit the double from your shoulder to the thud on the dartboard . Likewise a hastily or sloppily thrown last dart that goes awry can haunt you .... but that's the game ! You'll remember the 2 trebles and the missed double . If you'd kept your rhythm and still missed you might be kicking yourself saying you should have paused to compose yourself .
    When I first started playing league darts my da would ask me when I got home if i won my game - first time i lost he said to me "Do you feel like giving the game up ? " I lied and said no . He said " Ah , you're not a darts player yet ! " . 20 years on I still remember that and only after taking the game up again do I fully appreciate what he was saying in one sentence . As Healio said , mind matters .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nole

I dont think that pausing is such a bad idea. yes i agree that pausing can stem your flow but when your moving from T19 to D20 it is too big of a change in eyeline and throw. Better to stop, compose and refocus for the double imo anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Just home from a night of practice down the local. One of the regulars came in, a great thrower. Used to play county etc. I play with him most weekends practising. Keeps you on ones toes.

Had 157 left he had 38, I throw treble twenty, treble nineteen and then PAUSE?!!!!! Why the **** do I pause, I know how to check 157 out but I paused and then after a few seconds of upsetting my rhythm throw for Double Twenty and land it on the wire away from the bed and he hits his 38 in the first dart. So annoyed with ,myself :(

If its not your style of throwing pausing is bad yes, from your post its obvious that you knew yourself that you upset your own rythym the minute you did it.

If I was you though I wouldnt be annoyed with myself for missing a 157 out, if it was three darts at tops yes but one dart at the end of a combination, no.

If you keep on thinking about it, you will put yourself off the next time that you attempt a three dart outshot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement